Any Big Green Eggr's out there?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Anyone smoke and grill with a Big Green Egg out there? We've had a medium sized one for a few years now. We love grilling anything on it. Very forgiving for the noobie griller and continues to return quality over time.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The Big Green Egg is amazing for smoking; provides consistent temperature control over a long period of time.

My wife bought me a large one several years ago before I even knew what one was. I really like it except I wish I could fit ribs on it better. I kind of wish I had the extra-large.

I tried a new (new to me) method of cooking steaks on it recently and they came out super. Basically heat it up to around max open on vents (about 650F) using direct cooking. Put steaks on, close lid and cook for 2 minutes; open lid (be careful), flip steaks, close lid and cook for 2 minutes; open lid, flip steaks, close lid, shut all vents, let cook for 2 to 4 minutes then remove steaks.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Yeah, ribs can be a bit of a pain as far as getting them all on. I usually go with baby-back ribs and they fit fine on a medium one. I'm cooking a butt today on it and next weekend, hope to smoke a brisket. I think a lot of the smokers out there are finally starting to catch up ;-) but I wouldn't trade mine for anything right now :)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
I've got a large BGE that's 10 years old and we love it. Cooking ribs can be a little easier with a V-rack You can invert it and cook up to 6 racks of ribs a one time.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...qmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8drik8e0lq_b
I have used this on my large with some success but I'm not thrilled with it. Two issues I have are that some slabs will be in contact with others while cooking and some of the ribs will get extra heat on the ends where the air gaps of the placesetter allows heat to flow up from the coals. I probably need to get thinner ribs. Next time I may put something like toothpicks between the ribs to ensure air flows across all surfaces (any ideas?).

I cooked a couple of slabs two weeks ago using the regular grill and the grill extender and it worked out pretty well. I cut two slabs in half and put two halves on the grill and two on the extender. I was able to keep the ribs centered over the plate setter on which I also had a pan of apple juice.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm not much of a griller, but have a friend who is. He has a large Green Egg and a smaller Komodo Joe.

Has a gadget he swears by. It's an electronic thermometer that has a connection to the vent on the grill. By opening and closing the vent, it can maintain a constant temperature over a long period of time, eliminating the need for a human to spend hours minding the smoker.

He uses it to smoke Boston butts overnight, and says it makes the job almost too easy.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I'm not much of a griller, but have a friend who is. He has a large Green Egg and a smaller Komodo Joe.

Has a gadget he swears by. It's an electronic thermometer that has a connection to the vent on the grill. By opening and closing the vent, it can maintain a constant temperature over a long period of time, eliminating the need for a human to spend hours minding the smoker.

He uses it to smoke Boston butts overnight, and says it makes the job almost too easy.
Yes I have one that is almost as old as my BGE (BBQ Guru) https://bbqguru.com/

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I have used this on my large with some success but I'm not thrilled with it. Two issues I have are that some slabs will be in contact with others while cooking and some of the ribs will get extra heat on the ends where the air gaps of the placesetter allows heat to flow up from the coals. I probably need to get thinner ribs. Next time I may put something like toothpicks between the ribs to ensure air flows across all surfaces (any ideas?).

I cooked a couple of slabs two weeks ago using the regular grill and the grill extender and it worked out pretty well. I cut two slabs in half and put two halves on the grill and two on the extender. I was able to keep the ribs centered over the plate setter on which I also had a pan of apple juice.
Day I use a drip pan that just barely fits inside the plate setter legs and has 2" high sides. My ribs do touch on the ends but I didn't have a problem with them burning. Maybe it was the large drip pan I just don't know. By the way your idea with toothpicks sounds good to me, I might try that next time. By the way I had the big drip pan sitting directly on the plate setter underneath the grate.:)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
I cooked 3 slabs of pork loin back ribs this weekend using the place setter, pan of apple juice, grill top and grill extender(?) (whatever the extra grill is called that sits on the regular grill providing a second platform for my ribs). I cut each slab in half before cooking giving me 6 pieces which I was able to fit nicely onto the 2 grill tops. They cooked fairly evenly (took thinner pieces off about 20 minutes before the others). The ribs came out as good as I've ever cooked them.

This worked out well but I used to have a cooker that was more hassle but I could load up at least 12 full slabs if I wanted to. I would usually cook 6 or 9 which would get us through our cookout plus allow me to freeze some. I normally buy the slabs in packs of three.

The Egg made this so easy even with some unplanned events during the day; I pretty much ignored the Egg after the initial startup.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I've got a Large Kamado Joe which was started by ex BGE employees I think. Ceramics grills are awesome. I really wish I had an XL though.

Interesting that BGE, Kamado Joe, and Primo are all within a few miles from each other over here. ATL is the ceramic grill mecca I guess. If I were a brisket guy I'd definitely go with the Primo. Plus it is actually made in the USA. BGE is made in Mexico and Kamado Joe is made in China.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
This is a good forum. I also always recommend The Virtual Web Bulletin Board. https://tvwbb.com/ It is for WSM users (also an awesome smoker), but it is an awesome resource for recipes and techniques that can be transferred to any smoker.
Good recommendation. I have two WSMs I use for personal use and catering. Great smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Yes I have one that is almost as old as my BGE (BBQ Guru) https://bbqguru.com/
ok, just saw this, I have an Akorn grill, basically the really cheap version of the BGE and others. It does a solid job but I have yet to try things that take more than a couple hours due to keeping temp stable. I have managed to keep mine at 350 +/- 5 degrees for 3 hours before, but it kept me busy!

May have to save me a couple hundred and give this a whirl! Thanks for posting.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
ok, just saw this, I have an Akorn grill, basically the really cheap version of the BGE and others. It does a solid job but I have yet to try things that take more than a couple hours due to keeping temp stable. I have managed to keep mine at 350 +/- 5 degrees for 3 hours before, but it kept me busy!

I have an digital wireless thermometer that lets me know the temperature inside the egg and also has a meat thermometer. Once I get the egg set up and the temperature stabilized, it does not vary for long periods of time. I've gone to bed overnight with the receiver next to my bed with an alarm if the temperature drifts out of a set range and have not had my sleep interrupted. This is without any add-ons; just the standard Big Green Egg. The ability to maintain a constant temperature for a long period of time with no maintenance is what impressed me the most.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL

You wont regret it, some of the pork butts I've smoked have lasted 15+ hours @ 225 degrees and the Guru kept it right on the money.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
You wont regret it, some of the pork butts I've smoked have lasted 15+ hours @ 225 degrees and the Guru kept it right on the money.
I am sold, believe me, my main question now is, how much lump do you put in to keep it going for so long?? I like the FOGO lump, but at 55 a bag, it can get exspensive. I have been known to use it and mix it up with some the cheaper cowboy from lowes. I also like to add some real chunks of pecan, apple, oak, hickory, or dogwood just to make it interesting!

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I am sold, believe me, my main question now is, how much lump do you put in to keep it going for so long?? I like the FOGO lump, but at 55 a bag, it can get exspensive. I have been known to use it and mix it up with some the cheaper cowboy from lowes. I also like to add some real chunks of pecan, apple, oak, hickory, or dogwood just to make it interesting!

I just fill it up to the top of the fire ring @ 225 it won't use much, you'll probably have about 1/2 of it left.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.