Any Big Green Eggr's out there?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I go with the komado joe lump and it works pretty well. For ~$20 I get a decent number of cooks out of it. Some of the chunks are the size of my forearm. But yeah fill it up and just use whatever is left on the next cook. I've filled my large up and run it for 14hrs before and still had enough in it to crank it up to 350 for chickens.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I go with the komado joe lump and it works pretty well. For ~$20 I get a decent number of cooks out of it. Some of the chunks are the size of my forearm. But yeah fill it up and just use whatever is left on the next cook. I've filled my large up and run it for 14hrs before and still had enough in it to crank it up to 350 for chickens.
I have bought Big Green Egg charcoal before for about $20 a bag but I found out that BGE charcoal was made by Royal Oak which is quiet a bit less expensive and just as good. I don't know if you've used the Naked Whiz website but it has some useful information for ceramic grills and they test and rate lump charcoal. Here's the link if you don't have it.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I have bought Big Green Egg charcoal before for about $20 a bag but I found out that BGE charcoal was made by Royal Oak which is quiet a bit less expensive and just as good. I don't know if you've used the Naked Whiz website but it has some useful information for ceramic grills and they test and rate lump charcoal. Here's the link if you don't have it.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
I was buying Red Oak at Walmart but have not seen it lately and they now have a different brand. I bought a few bags last spring at Home Depot for me and my son when they had a big sale on it; I think around $9 for a 15 lb bag.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I was buying Red Oak at Walmart but have not seen it lately and they now have a different brand. I bought a few bags last spring at Home Depot for me and my son when they had a big sale on it; I think around $9 for a 15 lb bag.
day_day I started having trouble finding Royal Oak @ Walmart here in Pensacola last year, they must have discontinued it. I have used Publix lump with some success but the last 2 bags I bought had a lot of small pieces but it'll do in a pinch. On a side note I just bought a bag of Best of the west Mesquite lump but have not tried it yet. We smoke pork butts several times a year and some of the pulled pork we use for Carnitas and have the neighbors over. Cant wait to try it.:)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Royal Oak Lump charcoal is back at my neighborhood Walmart.

I bought Rockwood Premium lump charcoal for a premium price from a local BBQ store. I don't mind spending a little more occasionally at a locally owned store; it is also the only place I can find my rub. Rockwood lump is really good; hot and very little ash. I'll probably alternate to support my Walmart stock and to support the locally owned BBQ store.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.