Let's Talk about 2017

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Some of y'all are forgetting that Gus' offense is pretty solid when he's got a credible downfield passer.
And they have made a deal with the Devil, like in 2010 and 2013.

The big question is, what have they got that they haven't already sold to him... :cool2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have a feeling Ole Miss is going to be a tough one
I think OM goes back to their traditional place in the overall scheme of things. They bought a few good years and all they've got to show for it was a two year win streak against Bama, but nothing else.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think OM goes back to their traditional place in the overall scheme of things. They bought a few good years and all they've got to show for it was a two year win streak against Bama, but nothing else.
Agree on this... I think Ole Miss is in for a rough couple of years in the SEC West cellar.

Auburn is going to be good. When Gus has a competent QB that offense works.

LSU is almost always tough, but at home I'm pretty confident. They still have no QB.

A&M is a bit of a wild card.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
FSU is a tossup.

Will will win the rest of the games and the conference unless there are too many injuries, or injuries to the kinds of players you just can't lose. IOW, we can overcome some injuries, but some we probably cannot. The separation of talent and depth between Alabama and the rest of the league has never been greater.

I will agree with saying LSU and Auburn are wildcards, but that's as far as I will go. The LSU game is in Tuscaloosa this year and we've started a little trend of blowing them out at home lately. Auburn is always a concern but it will take the aforementioned injuries on our part and them having an outstanding year leading up to the game. If they show up 7-4, we will win going away in the 4th. If they are 10-1, it will be a ballgame.

The East sucks and we will destroy whichever team makes the SECC if we are there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
FSU and LSU will be our toughest games, but I think MSU is probably the scariest one. Auburn is always worrisome down there, but they may have already given up by then

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think a few things to consider about Auburn is that they do better when not hyped, and they haven't beat LSU on the road since 1999. Their qb has some health concerns and is going against some of the best defenses in the country. The only thing that has me concerned about playing Auburn is playing them down there. JHS is a very weird venue to play in.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I highly doubt AU beats Clemson. Especially not up in Death Valley.
I highly doubt that you end up being right. Clemson will quickly come back down to earth with DW gone. IOW, Clemson will be Clemson again and Malzahn finally has a QB. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the barn wins at Auburn with a Lake by double digits. DW was worth at least 14 pts/game IMO. Take him out of the equation and I think Clemson is very average. Shoot, an inept barn team almost beat them WITH DW last season...

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I highly doubt that you end up being right. Clemson will quickly come back down to earth with DW gone. IOW, Clemson will be Clemson again and Malzahn finally has a QB. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the barn wins at Auburn with a Lake by double digits.
Clemson has recruited very well. They won't fall that far.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I honestly see auburn as an 8-4 team at best. They have a killer schedule after their Mercer game that they will atleast lose 2 of the 5, then they will lose to UGA and UA. They can easily lose to Clemson or Missouri on the road. If Stithdum gets hurt the wheels will come off completely

With Stithdum: losses to MSU, LSU, UGA, and UA at the very least

Without: losses to practically every SEC team and Clemson. 6-6 at best

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am an optimist, but I can't help worry about the FSU game. They are well coached, have a ton of experienced talent, and they have been preparing for this game since January. If they believe that they can beat Alabama, then it will be a dog fight.

My sense is that the winner of that game is going to the CFP. Both will likely get tripped up somewhere else during their season. But, if the game is close, I think that the loser will still make the CFP with 2 losses as long as they win their conference.

So, as usual, winning the first game of the season isn't as important as winning the SEC. It will feel like it is a make or break game at the time, but it is not. It will simply set the tone for the rest of the season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sept. 2: FSU
Oct. 21: Tennessee
Nov. 4: LSU
Nov. 25: @ the barn

Those are the game I'm not taking lightly. FSU has the power and talent to battle with Bama for 4 quarters. It's gonna come down to two things for both teams: QB play and Defense.
Not to turn this into a QB thread, but I think both teams chances of winning is largely tied to how much both of them may have improved from last year to now. If JH's improvements involve hitting some intermediate throws across the middle of the field and hitting the long ball I'd be shocked if we come up short in this one, especially if our running game is anywhere close to where we think it'll be.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I am an optimist, but I can't help worry about the FSU game. They are well coached, have a ton of experienced talent, and they have been preparing for this game since January. If they believe that they can beat Alabama, then it will be a dog fight.

My sense is that the winner of that game is going to the CFP. Both will likely get tripped up somewhere else during their season. But, if the game is close, I think that the loser will still make the CFP with 2 losses as long as they win their conference.

So, as usual, winning the first game of the season isn't as important as winning the SEC. It will feel like it is a make or break game at the time, but it is not. It will simply set the tone for the rest of the season.
And with very good reason (s), most of which you mention. IMO. our D, while perhaps not as overwhelmingly dominant as last year, will certainly be capable of playing winning football, in this and the rest of the games on the schedule ( critical injuries aside, of course ). IMHO, the issue is finding a couple more guys that can play at a consistently high, winning level on the O line between now and then. If that happens, we have an opportunity to be really hard to handle.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The Alabama - FSU game could make for an interesting test of the Playoff Committee later in the year.

Whichever team loses will face a formidable schedule, yet still have a great chance at winning its conference championship.

Thus far, any team with a second loss has been effectively eliminated from consideration.

Will that hold if the losses were to another playoff team and a conference game, but the single conference loss didn't prevent winning the conference title?

The Committee's nightmare would be having to choose between a conference champion 2-loss FSU or Alabama, and an undefeated or one-loss Big 12 champ.

Strongest P5 conferences, but 2 losses vs. superior record in the weakest P5 conference that has, BTW, never made the playoff.

I don't know what would happen....but we just might find out.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The first game between with FSU and Alabama is not a deal breaker to get in Playoff. If both team wins rest of the games that year, including conference championship, they both are in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.