Let's Talk about 2017 - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Let's Talk about 2017

The first game between with FSU and Alabama is not a deal breaker to get in Playoff. If both team wins rest of the games that year, including conference championship, they both are in.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Not to turn this into a QB thread, but I think both teams chances of winning is largely tied to how much both of them may have improved from last year to now. If JH's improvements involve hitting some intermediate throws across the middle of the field and hitting the long ball I'd be shocked if we come up short in this one, especially if our running game is anywhere close to where we think it'll be.
    Let me explain a little. I meant to say both QBs had up and down moments last year. FSU QBs got hit so many times because of bad OL. So How the OL for each team can hold up from defense of the both team? It affects QB play and Both QBs can throw, runs and etc, but we have advantage of QB, RB and WRs so yeah, we could make some noise.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Not to turn this into a QB thread, but I think both teams chances of winning is largely tied to how much both of them may have improved from last year to now. If JH's improvements involve hitting some intermediate throws across the middle of the field and hitting the long ball I'd be shocked if we come up short in this one, especially if our running game is anywhere close to where we think it'll be.
    I actually think the running games have a really good chance to be the x factor. Both QBs will play better if the run game is going. If either QB has to throw a ton then I think that team is going to be in trouble. Both secondaries should be good to great this year so relying on the passing game would be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I am an optimist, but I can't help worry about the FSU game. They are well coached, have a ton of experienced talent, and they have been preparing for this game since January. If they believe that they can beat Alabama, then it will be a dog fight.

My sense is that the winner of that game is going to the CFP. Both will likely get tripped up somewhere else during their season. But, if the game is close, I think that the loser will still make the CFP with 2 losses as long as they win their conference.

So, as usual, winning the first game of the season isn't as important as winning the SEC. It will feel like it is a make or break game at the time, but it is not. It will simply set the tone for the rest of the season.
    I'm worried about this game as well. They are a very talented team and should easily be the toughest team we will face. I also think you are spot on that the winner of this game is most likely going to the CFP. FSU would probably get more credit than we would if we win but still a win gives both teams a big leg up compared to anyone else. Only other OOC game even close to as big as this one will be OU @ Ohio State.

I think the grind of 5 SEC games in a row makes for a difficult stretch no matter the competition. I see us struggling in 1 or 2 of the first five SEC games due to fatigue and the usual great game plans we get from intra-SEC games. None of those teams are unbeatable, but it's been years since we handily beat Ole-Miss, and UT at the end of a 5 SEC games is never a pushover. I'm sure Coach Saban has a plan for fatigue, player development, coach development, and the grind of these 5 games, but I see at least one closer than hoped for game and maybe a loss like the previous 2 and 3 seasons. Everyone, including the coaches and players, has Texas A&M and LSU already circled on their calendar, so we know everyone will bring their A-game to those two normally close games.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I think our September schedule, outside of the opener, is a great schedule for us. If we beat FSU, I think the offense and defense has the next four games to find their stride before the grind hits in Oct.

As for OM? I think we'll wipe the floor with them this year in T-town. Their program has lost all its forward momentum IMO.

BamaNation All-American

Instead of a new thread, i will pose the question here.

Hopefully it's not the case, but let's assume that Jalen is having a mediocre passing day against FSU say around 48-50% and not converting well enough on third down and we are trailing. Do you let Tua have a series or two in this game to see if he can ignite the offense?

He is the undisputed leader of the team but how does coach Saban react to such a situation and what it means for the rest of the season?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post

Hopefully it's not the case, but let's assume that Jalen is having a mediocre passing day against FSU say around 48-50% and not converting well enough on third down and we are trailing. Do you let Tua have a series or two in this game to see if he can ignite the offense?

He is the undisputed leader of the team but how does coach Saban react to such a situation and what it means for the rest of the season?

Now you've done it and this thread will blow up.

Answer: It's hard to say and it may have something to do with how TT looks when he gets some reps against the first team during fall camp. If he shows he can move the ball against our first team defense in fall practice and this scenario unfolded I think the answer is definitely maybe "yes."

Completely depends on the specifics. How poorly is he actually playing? How close is the game? How has he done running the ball? Is he missing people or are they just well covered?

If the game is close you don't take Jalen out unless he has thrown like 5 Ints.

This thread is about to go crazy now...

Football, Basketball Moderator

Depends on why he's missing.

If protection is breaking down and the run game isn't working (i.e., OL problems), no way we throw Tua into that.

If protection is there and we're running effectively, and he's still missing open receivers, then maybe.

Still, I have to believe that, absent highly unusual circumstances, the strong inclination is for Tua's debut to be against one of the next two OOC opponents.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; May 17th, 2017 at 11:53 AM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I don’t know if you guys were aware of this but
    "the SEC isn’t good anymore and the ACC has caught up. The PAC-12 has too."
    An actual conversation I heard on the radio last week in Atlanta.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation First Team PA Tide Fan's Avatar

Yes, I would try to get Tua in the game if Jalen is playing poorly. If CNS decides to stay with Jalen against FSU no matter what then he should definitely give Tua a shot against Fresno St. the following week.

Whoa.... that's two different topic on a thread. I would say that Tua will get rep in summer and fall camp to prepare if Hurts does down. I expect the game to be all Hurts and if we up by 20 heading into 4th quarter, then I expect Tua to play a series or two... Keep that in mind There's lot of scenario in where Tua can play 4 games and still get redshirted ( If the rules pass) and Mac Jones plays 4 games and get redshirted. 8 games in total...Now, It's possible that they will play.. we won't know until august. So basically back to the topic... Schedule is set up to where we really shouldn't struggle given the other's team situation. If anything I think we have to worry bout LSu and auburn.

Fall camp will be much harder and more telling of what to expect from Tua this year than the spring game performance.