Let's Talk about 2017 - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 115
  1. #53

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Instead of a new thread, i will pose the question here.

    Hopefully it's not the case, but let's assume that Jalen is having a mediocre passing day against FSU say around 48-50% and not converting well enough on third down and we are trailing. Do you let Tua have a series or two in this game to see if he can ignite the offense?

    He is the undisputed leader of the team but how does coach Saban react to such a situation and what it means for the rest of the season?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    I think so. It didn't take long for Barnett to get the hook last year when he struggled against USC... If Hurts is struggling the way you described and Tua looks good I think he'll be out there.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I think so. It didn't take long for Barnett to get the hook last year when he struggled against USC... If Hurts is struggling the way you described and Tua looks good I think he'll be out there.
    Jalen is a returning starter. Big difference.

  4. #55
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    15,054

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Jalen is a returning starter. Big difference.

    Don't you know the back-up is always so much better?
    Architects do it with models.

    Roll Tide Roll

  5. #56
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    9,918

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Tua will redshirt this season, barring something highly unusual or an injury to Jalen IMO. As others have said, we can lose the FSU game and still have a great season.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  6. #57
    BamaNation All-SEC Just Win's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alabaster, AL, USA
    Posts
    1,816

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    I'm usually very reserved about what i see in the annual spring game, and i've been watching Alabama football with a fine tooth comb all of my life. But what i saw out there was more overall talent in the offensive skill players than i've ever seen. Our receivers are outstanding, and we have at least 5 backs that could start at any power 5 program in the country. We could have a deadly offense this year. Combine that with the "way above the rest of the crowd" defense that we always seem to have, and it could be a very special year. Minkah may be the best secondary player in the country this year.

    Of course, this all hinges on whether or not we avoid the things like injury and team chemistry problems.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Tebow cried, Cam lied, Trees died, and LSU tried..........ROLL TIDE!

  7. #58
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    7,890
    Thread Starter

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Completely depends on the specifics. How poorly is he actually playing? How close is the game? How has he done running the ball? Is he missing people or are they just well covered?

    If the game is close you don't take Jalen out unless he has thrown like 5 Ints.

    This thread is about to go crazy now...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Depends on why he's missing.

    If protection is breaking down and the run game isn't working (i.e., OL problems), no way we throw Tua into that.

    If protection is there and we're running effectively, and he's still missing open receivers, then maybe.

    Still, I have to believe that, absent highly unusual circumstances, the strong inclination is for Tua's debut to be against one of the next two OOC opponents.
    I think you both mention an important thing to consider. If JH is struggling to hit open receivers is one thing....if OL isn't blocking well or the FSU defensive backfield is on lockdown mode (probably because the DL is controlling LOS) it would be foolish to throw TT into that game. But if TT performs well in the fall against our #1s and JH has time to thrown and is simply struggling to complete passes to open receivers, under those circumstances, I could see TT getting a shot.

  8. #59
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    7,890
    Thread Starter

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
    I'm usually very reserved about what i see in the annual spring game, and i've been watching Alabama football with a fine tooth comb all of my life. But what i saw out there was more overall talent in the offensive skill players than i've ever seen. Our receivers are outstanding, and we have at least 5 backs that could start at any power 5 program in the country. We could have a deadly offense this year. Combine that with the "way above the rest of the crowd" defense that we always seem to have, and it could be a very special year. Minkah may be the best secondary player in the country this year.

    Of course, this all hinges on whether or not we avoid the things like injury and team chemistry problems.
    This would be hard to refute...and I know you didn't mention it specifically...but I was very impressed with all 3 of the qbs as well in the spring game.

  9. #60

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I think you both mention an important thing to consider. If JH is struggling to hit open receivers is one thing....if OL isn't blocking well or the FSU defensive backfield is on lockdown mode (probably because the DL is controlling LOS) it would be foolish to throw TT into that game. But if TT performs well in the fall against our #1s and JH has time to thrown and is simply struggling to complete passes to open receivers, under those circumstances, I could see TT getting a shot.
    I guess if we are losing a close game and Hurts is throwing the ball like he did against Washington then MAYBE you see Tua. But even then it would be tough to put an unproven TF in that situation over a guy who made clutch plays against LSU and Clemson even if they were running plays. Hopefully, this hypothetical doesn't happen and Jalen will play well vs FSU.

  10. #61
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    7,890
    Thread Starter

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I guess if we are losing a close game and Hurts is throwing the ball like he did against Washington then MAYBE you see Tua. But even then it would be tough to put an unproven TF in that situation over a guy who made clutch plays against LSU and Clemson even if they were running plays. Hopefully, this hypothetical doesn't happen and Jalen will play well vs FSU.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I think the only way it would happen is if we get down multiple scores and JH is completely off/lost. Even then, unless TT had shown something in fall camp against a live, blitzing first team Bama defense, it probably doesn't happen.

  11. #62
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    14,340

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I donít know if you guys were aware of this but An actual conversation I heard on the radio last week in Atlanta.
    LOL, no. Florida State and Clemson are right there with the best in the SEC from a talent standpoint and can stand toe to toe with the elite of the SEC (obviously).

    But the rest of the conference is scattershot at best.

    And the PAC 12? Please.

  12. #63
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    6,395

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Jalen is a returning starter. Big difference.
    And SEC POY and leader that the team loves. My jaw will hit the ground if he gets the hook and I think he is going to absolutely shine.

  13. #64

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Jalen is a returning starter. Big difference.
    I don't think it's that big of a difference. Alabama is a program where the best players play, period.

  14. #65

    Re: Let's Talk about 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    I don't think it's that big of a difference. Alabama is a program where the best players play, period.
    It's a huge difference for a long list of reasons. Chemistry, experience, leadership, known player vs unknown, etc. Plus, Barnett wasn't just yanked for bad play. Saban allegedly already had a plan for giving both QBs an opportunity. I seriously doubt that will be the case this year.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!