Let's Talk about 2017

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree that it is possible we have a drop off in sacks but we have some great edge guys like Hall, Jennings, Millier and Evans and Raekwon Davis and Payne will give us a good inside push. Plus we know Pruitt is more aggressive and brings the blitz a lot. I can see 50+ sacks again this year.
Yea, it's absolutely possible there isn't a drop off, but we don't really know what those guys are yet. Evans and Miller we have seen a decent amount of but the rest haven't played enough real snaps yet. I don't doubt the talent we have at all I just doubt the ability to replace 36 sacks from 5 guys who were all drafted in the 1st 2 rounds. That's a lot of production to replace.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yea, it's absolutely possible there isn't a drop off, but we don't really know what those guys are yet. Evans and Miller we have seen a decent amount of but the rest haven't played enough real snaps yet. I don't doubt the talent we have at all I just doubt the ability to replace 36 sacks from 5 guys who were all drafted in the 1st 2 rounds. That's a lot of production to replace.

I think it's a valid concern. Think about it another way, EVERY player in our dime front where we got a vast majority of our sacks was drafted in the first two rounds, and same is almost true for our light nickel grouping, but SDH is back next year. Can Buggs/Hand/King step up to replace Allen? Will Davis be the under the radar but very productive Tomlinson? Maybe; we just haven't seen enough of them on the field to know yet. Of those who have been around longer, can Smith/Dwight/Frazier take a step forward enough to give us more that two (Payne and Davis) bigger guys in the rotation?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think it's a valid concern. Think about it another way, EVERY player in our dime front where we got a vast majority of our sacks was drafted in the first two rounds, and same is almost true for our light nickel grouping, but SDH is back next year. Can Buggs/Hand/King step up to replace Allen? Will Davis be the under the radar but very productive Tomlinson? Maybe; we just haven't seen enough of them on the field to know yet. Of those who have been around longer, can Smith/Dwight/Frazier take a step forward enough to give us more that two (Payne and Davis) bigger guys in the rotation?
Exactly, we really just don't know what these guys are capable of. We know they are talented but talent only takes you so far. And in this case they need to replace arguably the 3 best pass rushers we have ever had under Saban (Allen, Anderson, & Williams).

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Every players are different. Remember it's not about how you get sacks, it's how you affect the players on offense. If you can force Qbs to make hasty decisions on almost every snap, then you have done your job as a defense. Players will take care of business the usual way, so I wouldn't be too concerned about 50 sacks. We want to generate some pressures, get some NOTs.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Every players are different. Remember it's not about how you get sacks, it's how you affect the players on offense. If you can force Qbs to make hasty decisions on almost every snap, then you have done your job as a defense. Players will take care of business the usual way, so I wouldn't be too concerned about 50 sacks. We want to generate some pressures, get some NOTs.
While we had a great year under Smart in 2015, as far as sacks go, I do think the scheme was tweaked even more last year under Pruitt and I expect that to continue. We were more aggressive on D than we usually have been under Coach Saban. I agree, a lot of it is the talent you've got and what they can do and we've had some great pass rushers over the past 2 years. Still, I think there's some pass rushing ability returning, and the scheme is going to give them an opportunity to show it.

Maybe we don't approach 50 sacks again, but I think we'll get close and we'll also "affect" the QB.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I suspect we see more OLBs playing in DE-like roles this year just because of the numbers unless some of the younger guys really impress right away.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I suspect we see more OLBs playing in DE-like roles this year just because of the numbers unless some of the younger guys really impress right away.
I could see that also. for the last few years our primary nickel front has been three DL with an OLB playing like a DE and then sometimes playing with 2 DL and 2 OLBs so we might see that balance shift to the second grouping, especially Jennings is pretty darn big anyway.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
I don't see us getting close to the number of NOTs we got last year on defense, that group was special and had a chemistry about it. I think this group will be very good and we will have our favorites from another talented team and successful season but I think we will be fine with our offense. I also think our defense not scoring on a turnover if our offense can score or improve field position can sometimes be more productive than a NOT. Did I just say that, scratch my head but yeah I think I did.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Very true. However, Saban at times underrates the value of sacks vs pressures IMO. Sacks are negative plays and help get in the QBs head.

I don't see us getting close to the number of NOTs we got last year on defense, that group was special and had a chemistry about it. I think this group will be very good and we will have our favorites from another talented team and successful season but I think we will be fine with our offense. I also think our defense not scoring on a turnover if our offense can score or improve field position can sometimes be more productive than a NOT. Did I just say that, scratch my head but yeah I think I did.
Agreed. NOTs are also a lot of luck. A lot of things have to go correctly (just look at the NCG). Our NOTs also seemed to drop considerably after Eddie got hurt and now he is gone. Minkah will probably get a couple pick 6s (I hope he breaks the record) but I don't think he provides the same scoring instinct that Eddie has.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Maybe we can have a turnover belt?
I agree sometimes it's better to let the offense score so the defense gets a rest, but NOTs are so exciting for us, and demoralizing for the other team.:)

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
The object is to score td's; anytime, anyway. "We play to win the game"

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we have another unbeaten regular season on the way to #17!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
That's my thinking if we handle Florida State. I think JH will show improvement this year, but that first game is a big stage with not much room for errors. He'll have the next 4 games after the opener to settle in if he's shaky in the opener. But if he comes out strong against FSU, I think the sky is the limit on an undefeated regular season.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
That's my thinking if we handle Florida State. I think JH will show improvement this year, but that first game is a big stage with not much room for errors. He'll have the next 4 games after the opener to settle in if he's shaky in the opener. But if he comes out strong against FSU, I think the sky is the limit on an undefeated regular season.
The problem is that it's really freaking hard to go undefeated now. Even the best teams often lose for various reasons. Just look at the Kick Six...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I know we expect nothing less than the playoff and another NC. But how do you see it playing out? What's the hardest game? Who might be lurking as a potential trap game?

If we can get past FSU, I think the schedule sets up favorably for a run at an undefeated regular season!

Sept. 2: FSU
Sept. 9: Fresno St.
Sept. 16: Colorado St.
Sept. 23: @ Vandy
Sept. 30: Ole Miss
Oct. 7: @ Texas A&M
Oct. 14: Arkansas
Oct. 21: Tennessee
Oct. 28: open
Nov. 4: LSU
Nov. 11: @ MSU
Nov. 18: Mercer
Nov. 25: @ the barn
Yep... I also see FSU as the key. This may be a tougher first game than most. But thenb I've thought that about a couple of teams, and I was wrong about how well they would play us...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The problem is that it's really freaking hard to go undefeated now. Even the best teams often lose for various reasons. Just look at the Kick Six...

You`d think that the national championship with Cam would be it, but I swear sometime I think that the high water marks for Auburn football are " Punt, Bama, Punt " and the " Kick Six". Two freakish occurrences. I wonder if barn fans ( Dub? ), if being honest, would agree with that or not ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.