Let's Talk about 2017

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You`d think that the national championship with Cam would be it, but I swear sometime I think that the high water marks for Auburn football are " Punt, Bama, Punt " and the " Kick Six". Two freakish occurrences. I wonder if barn fans ( Dub? ), if being honest, would agree with that or not ?
I dislike UM as much as you guys dislike Auburn, but I believe that they celebrate their championships more than random wins over OSU, no matter how dramatic they may have been.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I dislike UM as much as you guys dislike Auburn, but I believe that they celebrate their championships more than random wins over OSU, no matter how dramatic they may have been.
One would hope, but do you think that the relationship between UM and OSU is parallel to AU and UA ? What you`re saying is that you believe that UM`s " sense of being " is not wrapped around OSU. Can the same thing be said for the barn in relation to UA, at least on the football field?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One would hope, but do you think that the relationship between UM and OSU is parallel to AU and UA ? What you`re saying is that you believe that UM`s " sense of being " is not wrapped around OSU. Can the same thing be said for the barn in relation to UA, at least on the football field?
UM's and OSU's rivalry is a lot closer to what Bama's and Tennessee's would be if UT were playing at an elite level. Gotta remember that UT has always been the historic 2nd best team in the conference behind Bama.

Auburn will always be 2nd place to Bama even when they win a random/illegal championship with a qb transfer from another school.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yep... I also see FSU as the key. This may be a tougher first game than most. But thenb I've thought that about a couple of teams, and I was wrong about how well they would play us...
This feels different IMO. USC was still on its way back and a lot of the assumed difficulty was based on projection. They were also replacing a starting QB which is a bigger deal at most schools than it is at Bama. I mean USC was coming off a 6 loss season. Wisconsin plays a similar style to us but with less talented players. Same can be said of Michigan when we played them (plus who really though Denard Robinson would test Bamas D). The other big games in recently haven't been close to those 3. This time FSU is an already established program with a lot of recent success including a NC and coming off a very good season. They are returning a young QB who should be better and get their star safety back.

That said, there are 2 HUGE flags for me about this FSU team. 1. Their OLine looks like it could be one of their bigger weaknesses which doesn't bode well against us. 2. Lamar Jackson tore them up running the ball and Jalen is just as big of a threat running the ball. So, those are the 2 issues that I see that could cause this game to underwhelm in the end.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I thought there was a QB thread but couldn't find it so I thought I'd put this here

Making five bold predictions for the 2017 college football season

3. Tua Tagovailoa will become a steady part of Alabama's offense: It would be foolhardy to call a quarterback controversy before Week 1 of the season. Besides, Jalen Hurts was the SEC Offensive Player of the Year, according to the conference's coaches. But here's betting early-enrollee quarterback Tagovailoa, a five-star member of the Crimson Tide's 2017 recruiting class, sees the field sooner rather than later -- and eventually becomes a packaged part of the offense by some point in the season.

T
he hype surrounding Tagovailoa has been building for some time now. Former offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, now the coach at Florida Atlantic, couldn't help but gush over the quarterback he won't get to coach in Tuscaloosa. "I would sure think so," Kiffin told Tide 102.9 FM (via SEC Country) regarding whether Tagovailoa would play in 2017. "I mean you guys saw him at spring game. He's a special talent. And coach [Nick] Saban will figure out the best way to do it obviously, whether they both play."

If Kiffin was still the offensive coordinator, this prediction would be a slam dunk. If nothing else, Kiffin might usher Tagovailoa onto the field before Saban could say anything and deal with the inevitable ...-chewings later. (Remember, kids, sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.) Hurts remains the starter and shouldn't have to deal with any murmurs to the contrary unless he shows reason to make a change. But if Hurts has also taught Saban anything, it's that quarterback talent is too good to be left on the sideline.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
5. At least five Power Five coaches will not make it to November: That's a lot of fives. We are in a day and age now in college football where schools refuse to wait before making a coaching change -- or, at the very least, get the process started. Les Miles was infamously fired by LSU last September after losing to Auburn when he probably should have been released after the end of the 2015 season. October is the new December and there are a number of coaches on the hot seat entering this season. Among them are Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M), Hugh Freeze* (Ole Miss), Brian Kelly (Notre Dame), Todd Graham (Arizona State), Jim Mora (UCLA) and Butch Jones (Tennessee).
A lot of Barn fans would have Gus listed in that group. If the qb savior doesn't pan out and they struggle this year and lose to Georgia and Alabama again...they'll be calling for his head.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Talked to Jalen last week. He's really excited about the offense for this season, and was very happy when he mentioned the D-word (Development).

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
*half-way kidding* when that offense starts to click, we'll have to be careful not to score too quickly at times. I'm especially excited to watch Jeudy

Taking *a step back* on defense should still translate to a top 5 nationally ranked defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
*half-way kidding* when that offense starts to click, we'll have to be careful not to score too quickly at times. I'm especially excited to watch Jeudy

Taking *a step back* on defense should still translate to a top 5 nationally ranked defense.

I feel really conflicted with Jeudy. He looks fantastic and I want him to get a ton of reps, but I also am really excited for Foster and Sims to get their chance. Foster should have been a future NFL WR and maybe still can be but injuries and such derailed him. So, I'm excited to see what he can do. I also really like the idea of having a huge WR like Sims. We haven't had a tall WR in the category of a Dez, Mike Williams, Treadwell, Mike Evans, and Alshon variety under Saban with the exception of Julio so it would be fun to see a guy like that.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Each year I think this is the season where Bama has a 1995 Nebraska type season whereby they win all games with an average score of 53+to14+ and the lowest MOV is 14 points. Leaving no doubt whatsoever which is the best team that season and perhaps the GOAT. Saban is going to accomplish that before he is finished. Why not in 2017!?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Each year I think this is the season where Bama has a 1995 Nebraska type season whereby they win all games with an average score of 53+to14+ and the lowest MOV is 14 points. Leaving no doubt whatsoever which is the best team that season and perhaps the GOAT. Saban is going to accomplish that before he is finished. Why not in 2017!?
I really thought last year might have been the year. The amount of talent returning on D was nuts. Stupid Clemson and injuries ruined that.

I honestly wonder if we might be in the beginning (middle?) of a shift where Nick Saban teams will start to be known not just for good D but for great offense. We have stockpiled so much offensive talent at the skill positions and I think this is the year it shows.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I really thought last year might have been the year. The amount of talent returning on D was nuts. Stupid Clemson and injuries ruined that.

I honestly wonder if we might be in the beginning (middle?) of a shift where Nick Saban teams will start to be known not just for good D but for great offense. We have stockpiled so much offensive talent at the skill positions and I think this is the year it shows.
That's exactly what happened at New England.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I loved Bama's D in the 70's. They stood on the sideline for most of the game watching the wishbone offense run up and down the field. :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.