Let's Talk about 2017
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Let's Talk about 2017

I know we expect nothing less than the playoff and another NC. But how do you see it playing out? What's the hardest game? Who might be lurking as a potential trap game?

If we can get past FSU, I think the schedule sets up favorably for a run at an undefeated regular season!

Sept. 2: FSU
    Sept. 9: Fresno St.
    Sept. 16: Colorado St.
    Sept. 23: @ Vandy
    Sept. 30: Ole Miss
    Oct. 7: @ Texas A&M
    Oct. 14: Arkansas
    Oct. 21: Tennessee
    Oct. 28: open
    Nov. 4: LSU
    Nov. 11: @ MSU
    Nov. 18: Mercer
    Nov. 25: @ the barn

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team CrimsonPassion's Avatar

Re: Let's Talk about 2017

Funny you should ask that question today. I woke up in a cold sweat this morning thinking about Mercer!! Seriously, though, I agree that things should go well for us if we get past the 'Noles. A potential trap game could be Mississippi State.
    Last edited by CrimsonPassion; May 15th, 2017 at 03:35 PM.

I like the way the schedule sets up too. The season opener honestly looks like it will be the toughest game, although it depends on what we see from some of the SEC West teams, Auburn and Texas A&M in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I know we expect nothing less than the playoff and another NC. But how do you see it playing out? What's the hardest game? Who might be lurking as a potential trap game?

If we can get past FSU, I think the schedule sets up favorably for a run at an undefeated regular season!

These two will most likely be the toughest outside of FSU:

If everything goes well team-wise (leadership, gelling, staying hungry/not complacent, injuries) we should went both games handedly. If we fail to execute for either, it could be a potential loss.

The Barn is always a trap game because you just never really know what to expect as of late. That being said, Auburn's run game struggles this season, they could possibly lose 8 games.

But I agree on the possible championship run, looks promising. Could be us and OSU/FSU in the end.
    Last edited by BAMAVILLE; May 15th, 2017 at 04:00 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The Iron Bowl will decide the West. Start stocking your bars now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Uhh, no thanks.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but never preserved except in memory LLAP" Leonard Nimoy

Some of this is hard without knowing our own teams strengths and weaknesses yet. So, I'm going to assume our offense will be as good running the ball if not better this year and also significantly better at throwing the ball, specifically the deep ball. I also assume our D will be down from the past 2 years but still very good obviously.

If I assume correctly then this schedule looks great. LSU, FSU & the Iron Bowl should be our 3 hardest games. If we can pass the ball with some success against LSU we will crush them but if we can't throw it will be another close game. Auburn is so hard to predict but my guess is we beat them pretty easily. The final score may be close but I'm going to bet that the actual game won't be all that close unless their QB is better than I anticipate. FSU is the key. We win that game and I can't see us missing the playoffs unless we have a really down year. I'm honestly worried about the FSU game.

Oh, and Arkansas is my trap game.
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; May 15th, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

We always prepare well for the first game. I'm sure we'll beat FSU. However, there will always be one or two teams in the SEC that surprises you. For my money, I think those teams will be LSU and aTm. Maybe MSU. Still, there's nothing on the schedule that says an undefeated won't likely happen.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post

Oh, and Arkansas is my trap game.
    Hoping you're right.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I see our losses being some combination of the following three opponents--FSU, LSU, and the barn. I don't really see a Saban-coached team losing to any of the other teams that we play in 2017.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Football, Basketball Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I see our losses being some combination of the following three opponents--FSU, LSU, and the barn. I don't really see a Saban-coached team losing to any of the other teams that we play in 2017.

One loss somewhere along the way is probable. It's just hard to open with FSU, beat them, then go through an SECW schedule undefeated.

Agreed on the most likely suspects. If the breaks don't even out, we could lose two.

Three regular season losses would almost have to entail a rash of critical injuries (always possible, but not likely), or dissension on the team (again, theoretically possible, but not likely under Saban), or dissension on the coaching staff (given what we've already been through with Kiffin, the least likely of the three).

I'm confident, but always cautiously so. Anybody who ends the season hoisting the NC trophy has to have a bit of luck somewhere along the way.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; May 15th, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

FSU, LSU and Auburn will be our toughest games.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I may feel differently in November, but I'm not worrying about LSU and the barn. I get why the concern over LSU with all the talent on their roster, but they've shown no evidence of getting their act together and, I'm sorry, but the direction they've gone with their new coach confirms every doubt we may have about them. The barn? Same ole same ole...they are building their hope around another qb transfer. He is talented...no question...but based on the last couple of years their program is passed their high mark under Gus and I don't see the pieces just automatically falling in place just because they may have a qb that can complete a pass.

FSU? They, IMO, are a real concern and may be the hardest opening game we'e had in the CNS era. Their talent level and QB situation are a real concern with the losses we've had on defense. I think we'll have to be prepared to score alot in this game.