Let's Talk about 2017

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know we expect nothing less than the playoff and another NC. But how do you see it playing out? What's the hardest game? Who might be lurking as a potential trap game?

If we can get past FSU, I think the schedule sets up favorably for a run at an undefeated regular season!

Sept. 2: FSU
Sept. 9: Fresno St.
Sept. 16: Colorado St.
Sept. 23: @ Vandy
Sept. 30: Ole Miss
Oct. 7: @ Texas A&M
Oct. 14: Arkansas
Oct. 21: Tennessee
Oct. 28: open
Nov. 4: LSU
Nov. 11: @ MSU
Nov. 18: Mercer
Nov. 25: @ the barn

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Funny you should ask that question today. I woke up in a cold sweat this morning thinking about Mercer!! Seriously, though, I agree that things should go well for us if we get past the 'Noles. A potential trap game could be Mississippi State.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I like the way the schedule sets up too. The season opener honestly looks like it will be the toughest game, although it depends on what we see from some of the SEC West teams, Auburn and Texas A&M in particular.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I know we expect nothing less than the playoff and another NC. But how do you see it playing out? What's the hardest game? Who might be lurking as a potential trap game?

If we can get past FSU, I think the schedule sets up favorably for a run at an undefeated regular season!

These two will most likely be the toughest outside of FSU:

If everything goes well team-wise (leadership, gelling, staying hungry/not complacent, injuries) we should went both games handedly. If we fail to execute for either, it could be a potential loss.

The Barn is always a trap game because you just never really know what to expect as of late. That being said, Auburn's run game struggles this season, they could possibly lose 8 games.

But I agree on the possible championship run, looks promising. Could be us and OSU/FSU in the end.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Some of this is hard without knowing our own teams strengths and weaknesses yet. So, I'm going to assume our offense will be as good running the ball if not better this year and also significantly better at throwing the ball, specifically the deep ball. I also assume our D will be down from the past 2 years but still very good obviously.

If I assume correctly then this schedule looks great. LSU, FSU & the Iron Bowl should be our 3 hardest games. If we can pass the ball with some success against LSU we will crush them but if we can't throw it will be another close game. Auburn is so hard to predict but my guess is we beat them pretty easily. The final score may be close but I'm going to bet that the actual game won't be all that close unless their QB is better than I anticipate. FSU is the key. We win that game and I can't see us missing the playoffs unless we have a really down year. I'm honestly worried about the FSU game.

Oh, and Arkansas is my trap game.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

We always prepare well for the first game. I'm sure we'll beat FSU. However, there will always be one or two teams in the SEC that surprises you. For my money, I think those teams will be LSU and aTm. Maybe MSU. Still, there's nothing on the schedule that says an undefeated won't likely happen.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I see our losses being some combination of the following three opponents--FSU, LSU, and the barn. I don't really see a Saban-coached team losing to any of the other teams that we play in 2017.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I see our losses being some combination of the following three opponents--FSU, LSU, and the barn. I don't really see a Saban-coached team losing to any of the other teams that we play in 2017.

One loss somewhere along the way is probable. It's just hard to open with FSU, beat them, then go through an SECW schedule undefeated.

Agreed on the most likely suspects. If the breaks don't even out, we could lose two.

Three regular season losses would almost have to entail a rash of critical injuries (always possible, but not likely), or dissension on the team (again, theoretically possible, but not likely under Saban), or dissension on the coaching staff (given what we've already been through with Kiffin, the least likely of the three).

I'm confident, but always cautiously so. Anybody who ends the season hoisting the NC trophy has to have a bit of luck somewhere along the way.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I may feel differently in November, but I'm not worrying about LSU and the barn. I get why the concern over LSU with all the talent on their roster, but they've shown no evidence of getting their act together and, I'm sorry, but the direction they've gone with their new coach confirms every doubt we may have about them. The barn? Same ole same ole...they are building their hope around another qb transfer. He is talented...no question...but based on the last couple of years their program is passed their high mark under Gus and I don't see the pieces just automatically falling in place just because they may have a qb that can complete a pass.

FSU? They, IMO, are a real concern and may be the hardest opening game we'e had in the CNS era. Their talent level and QB situation are a real concern with the losses we've had on defense. I think we'll have to be prepared to score alot in this game.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We might have and I just can`t recall, but since CNS arrived, have we opened with as highly a ranked opponent? I think we`re all in agreement that FSU, this year, will be a genuine national championship contender on opening day.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
FSU and LSU will be the hardest games. The trap game IMO is Miss. St. simply because if we beat LSU some of the younger players may think MSU and Mercer are "gimme" games and immediately start thing about Auburn. Mercer cannot beat us as long as we show up but MSU could.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Those are the game I'm not taking lightly. FSU has the power and talent to battle with Bama for 4 quarters. It's gonna come down to two things for both teams: QB play and Defense.

Tennessee- They have a new QB, but have ton of talents on both side, the question is Can butch coach them up? Just gotta take care of our business.

LSU- We need to stop overlook them. Those days of Les miles are long done. Ed has a new OC coach. I expect this game to be low scoring once again.

Auburn, new QB, new OC and that's bad ... Luckily we get them on last game of the season so enough game tape to see what Stidman can do.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
We might have and I just can`t recall, but since CNS arrived, have we opened with as highly a ranked opponent? I think we`re all in agreement that FSU, this year, will be a genuine national championship contender on opening day.
I agree FSU may be one of the top teams right now. I love the fact we start the year with such a high-profile opponent each year. when you think about the past 10 years, we've rarely opened at Bryant Denny. We've played the following:

2008- Clemson in Atlanta
2009- VA Tech in Atlanta
2010- San Jose St at home
2011- Kent St at home
2012- Michigan in Jerry World
2013- Va Tech in Atlanta
2014- West Virginia in Atlanta
2015- Wisconsin in Jerry World
2016- USC in Jerry World

Clemson, VA Tech in 2009, Michigan, and USC were who I would have considered contenders when we played them. I know they all turned out to be pretenders, but on paper those years, they had the teams to make a run. If we are going by paper though, the 2000 Alabama team was a contender at the beginning of the year too, but let's not open up THAT wound.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some of y'all are forgetting that Gus' offense is pretty solid when he's got a credible downfield passer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the game I'm not taking lightly. FSU has the power and talent to battle with Bama for 4 quarters. It's gonna come down to two things for both teams: QB play and Defense.

Tennessee- They have a new QB, but have ton of talents on both side, the question is Can butch coach them up? Just gotta take care of our business.

LSU- We need to stop overlook them. Those days of Les miles are long done. Ed has a new OC coach. I expect this game to be low scoring once again.

Auburn, new QB, new OC and that's bad ... Luckily we get them on last game of the season so enough game tape to see what Stidman can do.
No doubt Stidham will be an improvement and he has some wheels, but are his wheels as good as Cam or Marshall? I doubt it...but even if they are...Auburn continues to have decent recruiting classes but they've done nothing with the talent. Every year they have some major weak areas...that's the trend it seems, so unless Stidham pulls a Cam on us I'll believe it when I see it.

On when we play the barn? I've always felt they were slow starters and then they hit their stride later so we may know the tale of the tape by the time we see them in November, but they usually are playing their best when we play them...happens almost every year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.