Let's Talk about 2017

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Not to turn this into a QB thread, but I think both teams chances of winning is largely tied to how much both of them may have improved from last year to now. If JH's improvements involve hitting some intermediate throws across the middle of the field and hitting the long ball I'd be shocked if we come up short in this one, especially if our running game is anywhere close to where we think it'll be.
Let me explain a little. I meant to say both QBs had up and down moments last year. FSU QBs got hit so many times because of bad OL. So How the OL for each team can hold up from defense of the both team? It affects QB play and Both QBs can throw, runs and etc, but we have advantage of QB, RB and WRs so yeah, we could make some noise.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not to turn this into a QB thread, but I think both teams chances of winning is largely tied to how much both of them may have improved from last year to now. If JH's improvements involve hitting some intermediate throws across the middle of the field and hitting the long ball I'd be shocked if we come up short in this one, especially if our running game is anywhere close to where we think it'll be.
I actually think the running games have a really good chance to be the x factor. Both QBs will play better if the run game is going. If either QB has to throw a ton then I think that team is going to be in trouble. Both secondaries should be good to great this year so relying on the passing game would be hard.

I am an optimist, but I can't help worry about the FSU game. They are well coached, have a ton of experienced talent, and they have been preparing for this game since January. If they believe that they can beat Alabama, then it will be a dog fight.

My sense is that the winner of that game is going to the CFP. Both will likely get tripped up somewhere else during their season. But, if the game is close, I think that the loser will still make the CFP with 2 losses as long as they win their conference.

So, as usual, winning the first game of the season isn't as important as winning the SEC. It will feel like it is a make or break game at the time, but it is not. It will simply set the tone for the rest of the season.
I'm worried about this game as well. They are a very talented team and should easily be the toughest team we will face. I also think you are spot on that the winner of this game is most likely going to the CFP. FSU would probably get more credit than we would if we win but still a win gives both teams a big leg up compared to anyone else. Only other OOC game even close to as big as this one will be OU @ Ohio State.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I think the grind of 5 SEC games in a row makes for a difficult stretch no matter the competition. I see us struggling in 1 or 2 of the first five SEC games due to fatigue and the usual great game plans we get from intra-SEC games. None of those teams are unbeatable, but it's been years since we handily beat Ole-Miss, and UT at the end of a 5 SEC games is never a pushover. I'm sure Coach Saban has a plan for fatigue, player development, coach development, and the grind of these 5 games, but I see at least one closer than hoped for game and maybe a loss like the previous 2 and 3 seasons. Everyone, including the coaches and players, has Texas A&M and LSU already circled on their calendar, so we know everyone will bring their A-game to those two normally close games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think our September schedule, outside of the opener, is a great schedule for us. If we beat FSU, I think the offense and defense has the next four games to find their stride before the grind hits in Oct.

As for OM? I think we'll wipe the floor with them this year in T-town. Their program has lost all its forward momentum IMO.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Instead of a new thread, i will pose the question here.

Hopefully it's not the case, but let's assume that Jalen is having a mediocre passing day against FSU say around 48-50% and not converting well enough on third down and we are trailing. Do you let Tua have a series or two in this game to see if he can ignite the offense?

He is the undisputed leader of the team but how does coach Saban react to such a situation and what it means for the rest of the season?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Hopefully it's not the case, but let's assume that Jalen is having a mediocre passing day against FSU say around 48-50% and not converting well enough on third down and we are trailing. Do you let Tua have a series or two in this game to see if he can ignite the offense?

He is the undisputed leader of the team but how does coach Saban react to such a situation and what it means for the rest of the season?

Now you've done it and this thread will blow up. :wink:

Answer: It's hard to say and it may have something to do with how TT looks when he gets some reps against the first team during fall camp. If he shows he can move the ball against our first team defense in fall practice and this scenario unfolded I think the answer is definitely maybe "yes."

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Completely depends on the specifics. How poorly is he actually playing? How close is the game? How has he done running the ball? Is he missing people or are they just well covered?

If the game is close you don't take Jalen out unless he has thrown like 5 Ints.

This thread is about to go crazy now...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Depends on why he's missing.

If protection is breaking down and the run game isn't working (i.e., OL problems), no way we throw Tua into that.

If protection is there and we're running effectively, and he's still missing open receivers, then maybe.

Still, I have to believe that, absent highly unusual circumstances, the strong inclination is for Tua's debut to be against one of the next two OOC opponents.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Yes, I would try to get Tua in the game if Jalen is playing poorly. If CNS decides to stay with Jalen against FSU no matter what then he should definitely give Tua a shot against Fresno St. the following week.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Whoa.... that's two different topic on a thread. I would say that Tua will get rep in summer and fall camp to prepare if Hurts does down. I expect the game to be all Hurts and if we up by 20 heading into 4th quarter, then I expect Tua to play a series or two... Keep that in mind There's lot of scenario in where Tua can play 4 games and still get redshirted ( If the rules pass) and Mac Jones plays 4 games and get redshirted. 8 games in total...Now, It's possible that they will play.. we won't know until august. So basically back to the topic... Schedule is set up to where we really shouldn't struggle given the other's team situation. If anything I think we have to worry bout LSu and auburn.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I think so. It didn't take long for Barnett to get the hook last year when he struggled against USC... If Hurts is struggling the way you described and Tua looks good I think he'll be out there.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Tua will redshirt this season, barring something highly unusual or an injury to Jalen IMO. As others have said, we can lose the FSU game and still have a great season.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I'm usually very reserved about what i see in the annual spring game, and i've been watching Alabama football with a fine tooth comb all of my life. But what i saw out there was more overall talent in the offensive skill players than i've ever seen. Our receivers are outstanding, and we have at least 5 backs that could start at any power 5 program in the country. We could have a deadly offense this year. Combine that with the "way above the rest of the crowd" defense that we always seem to have, and it could be a very special year. Minkah may be the best secondary player in the country this year.

Of course, this all hinges on whether or not we avoid the things like injury and team chemistry problems.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Completely depends on the specifics. How poorly is he actually playing? How close is the game? How has he done running the ball? Is he missing people or are they just well covered?

If the game is close you don't take Jalen out unless he has thrown like 5 Ints.

This thread is about to go crazy now...
Depends on why he's missing.

If protection is breaking down and the run game isn't working (i.e., OL problems), no way we throw Tua into that.

If protection is there and we're running effectively, and he's still missing open receivers, then maybe.

Still, I have to believe that, absent highly unusual circumstances, the strong inclination is for Tua's debut to be against one of the next two OOC opponents.
I think you both mention an important thing to consider. If JH is struggling to hit open receivers is one thing....if OL isn't blocking well or the FSU defensive backfield is on lockdown mode (probably because the DL is controlling LOS) it would be foolish to throw TT into that game. But if TT performs well in the fall against our #1s and JH has time to thrown and is simply struggling to complete passes to open receivers, under those circumstances, I could see TT getting a shot.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm usually very reserved about what i see in the annual spring game, and i've been watching Alabama football with a fine tooth comb all of my life. But what i saw out there was more overall talent in the offensive skill players than i've ever seen. Our receivers are outstanding, and we have at least 5 backs that could start at any power 5 program in the country. We could have a deadly offense this year. Combine that with the "way above the rest of the crowd" defense that we always seem to have, and it could be a very special year. Minkah may be the best secondary player in the country this year.

Of course, this all hinges on whether or not we avoid the things like injury and team chemistry problems.
This would be hard to refute...and I know you didn't mention it specifically...but I was very impressed with all 3 of the qbs as well in the spring game.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think you both mention an important thing to consider. If JH is struggling to hit open receivers is one thing....if OL isn't blocking well or the FSU defensive backfield is on lockdown mode (probably because the DL is controlling LOS) it would be foolish to throw TT into that game. But if TT performs well in the fall against our #1s and JH has time to thrown and is simply struggling to complete passes to open receivers, under those circumstances, I could see TT getting a shot.
I guess if we are losing a close game and Hurts is throwing the ball like he did against Washington then MAYBE you see Tua. But even then it would be tough to put an unproven TF in that situation over a guy who made clutch plays against LSU and Clemson even if they were running plays. Hopefully, this hypothetical doesn't happen and Jalen will play well vs FSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.