Let's Talk about 2017

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I guess if we are losing a close game and Hurts is throwing the ball like he did against Washington then MAYBE you see Tua. But even then it would be tough to put an unproven TF in that situation over a guy who made clutch plays against LSU and Clemson even if they were running plays. Hopefully, this hypothetical doesn't happen and Jalen will play well vs FSU.
I agree wholeheartedly. I think the only way it would happen is if we get down multiple scores and JH is completely off/lost. Even then, unless TT had shown something in fall camp against a live, blitzing first team Bama defense, it probably doesn't happen.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don’t know if you guys were aware of this but An actual conversation I heard on the radio last week in Atlanta.
LOL, no. Florida State and Clemson are right there with the best in the SEC from a talent standpoint and can stand toe to toe with the elite of the SEC (obviously).

But the rest of the conference is scattershot at best.

And the PAC 12? Please.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think it's that big of a difference. Alabama is a program where the best players play, period.
It's a huge difference for a long list of reasons. Chemistry, experience, leadership, known player vs unknown, etc. Plus, Barnett wasn't just yanked for bad play. Saban allegedly already had a plan for giving both QBs an opportunity. I seriously doubt that will be the case this year.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
It's a huge difference for a long list of reasons. Chemistry, experience, leadership, known player vs unknown, etc. Plus, Barnett wasn't just yanked for bad play. Saban allegedly already had a plan for giving both QBs an opportunity. I seriously doubt that will be the case this year.
LOL yes he was. There may have been a plan to play both guys but there's a reason one guy spent the 2nd half riding the pine while the other played the rest of the season.

If Tua looks good in fall camp, is pushing JH for the starting job and JH struggles in the opener? You guys are nuts to think they wouldn't put Tua into the game, down by two scores in the third.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
LOL yes he was. There may have been a plan to play both guys but there's a reason one guy spent the 2nd half riding the pine while the other played the rest of the season.

If Tua looks good in fall camp, is pushing JH for the starting job and JH struggles in the opener? You guys are nuts to think they wouldn't put Tua into the game, down by two scores in the third.
You can consider all sorts of scenarios but I don't see yours happening. That would send an incredibly bad signal to the whole team to yank your returning proven starter who led you last year to what should have been a NC last year when you face a little adversity in the 3rd quarter of the 2017 season. If your scenario happens we will have a horrible year.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I dont think that scenario is as crazy as it sounds. Very very unlikely but possible. Hurts would have to completely lose it mentally though for that scenario to have any thought.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
We'll know if Hurts passing has improved game 1. If so, no Tua. If not, Tua.

Saban's not going to crash and burn game one without giving Tua a look.

Repeat after me

Hurts better = no Tua
Hurts not = Tua

And that's all you need to know.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Repeat after me

Hurts better = no Tua
Hurts not = Tua

Hurts is getting atleast 4 games despite how good or bad he is against FSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Repeat after me

Hurts better = no Tua
Hurts not = Tua

Repeat after me. It is a lot more complicated than that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From the CBS artilce in another thread:

CBS: Is it a quarterback battle going through August?

Saban: "I've never said anything about it being a quarterback battle. I'm not going to say anything about it being a quarterback battle now.
"We have a quarterback who played really well and was SEC Player of the Year last year. I'm not saying he can't be beat out. I'm not saying the players here have an opportunity to beat him out. But that's the case at every position."

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm going to ignore the offense because I think we have all beat the RB and QB position to death. What do you all think of the DLine and OLB this year? Payne is obviously a consistent force but we don't really know much about how the rest of the DLine players will perform. BamaInsider had this article on the Dline click. I'll be interested to see how much (if any) of an impact the guys coming in the summer will have.

After 2 years of incredible,possibly historic, front 7 play I seriously wonder if we have a significant drop off when it comes to pass rush and run D. Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree. I think this is our trap game. They have good receivers and IMO the best passing QB in the SEC. If they get good line play, they could be tough.
I've seen people question Stidham because the sample size was pretty small. How on earth can you say Ole Miss has the best passing QB in the SEC when talking about Shea Patterson? The guy has only played three games in college.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I'm going to ignore the offense because I think we have all beat the RB and QB position to death. What do you all think of the DLine and OLB this year? Payne is obviously a consistent force but we don't really know much about how the rest of the DLine players will perform. BamaInsider had this article on the Dline click. I'll be interested to see how much (if any) of an impact the guys coming in the summer will have.

After 2 years of incredible,possibly historic, front 7 play I seriously wonder if we have a significant drop off when it comes to pass rush and run D. Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.
We won't have a significant drop-off.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We won't have a significant drop-off.
By significant I meant relatively significant. Meaning, we allowed somewhere around 2 yds/carry the last 2 years but for a couple years we were allowing about 3 yds/carry. For sacks, I wouldn't expect them to draft to pre 2015 levels where we barley had 30 sacks a lot of years but I would expect a drop off from the 50 or so we have averaged the past 2 years. If either of these do drop off I would expect the pass rush to. Payne and our ILBs should be able to continue our success vs the run but pass rush seems like a much bigger question mark.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
By significant I meant relatively significant. Meaning, we allowed somewhere around 2 yds/carry the last 2 years but for a couple years we were allowing about 3 yds/carry. For sacks, I wouldn't expect them to draft to pre 2015 levels where we barley had 30 sacks a lot of years but I would expect a drop off from the 50 or so we have averaged the past 2 years. If either of these do drop off I would expect the pass rush to. Payne and our ILBs should be able to continue our success vs the run but pass rush seems like a much bigger question mark.
I agree that it is possible we have a drop off in sacks but we have some great edge guys like Hall, Jennings, Millier and Evans and Raekwon Davis and Payne will give us a good inside push. Plus we know Pruitt is more aggressive and brings the blitz a lot. I can see 50+ sacks again this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.