Kyle Tatum coaching in UAB's return

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
Per his bio:

Tatum began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Texas State from 2011-2012 under the direction of head coach Dennis Franchione, and was subsequently promoted to defensive tackles coach from 2013-2015.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Long story short, I had a chance to meet most of fran's staff. Out of all of them, liked Les Koennig and Jim Bob Helduser, and their wives the best.

Koennig's wife had a PhD in something, I don't remember what, and taught college. Dang attractive, too. Les is no dummy either. He was really plugged into the world, and was highly conversant in economics and the way policy affects short and long term outcomes. Definitely not the stereotypical football coach.

Helduser wasn't quite that intellectual, but was a really good guy. He and his wife would have been great to share a meal and a bottle with, and I would like to have known them better. Plus, he's on the all-world name team.

Sadly, Helduser developed cancer about the time fran imploded at aTm, and was coaching HS football when he died way too young.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Kyle Tatum was a very highly regarded DE coming out of Prattville. Why did he move to O-Line in college?? Seems like he could have been great.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Kyle Tatum was a very highly regarded DE coming out of Prattville. Why did he move to O-Line in college?? Seems like he could have been great.
If I'm not mistaken he played during the lean NCAA sanctions years & quite a few player's had to switch positions they were recruited at cause of numbers..

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
If I'm not mistaken he played during the lean NCAA sanctions years & quite a few player's had to switch positions they were recruited at cause of numbers..
Yeah but he was All-State. Set some school records until Nick Gentry broke them. They should have kept him at DL. IMO

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yeah but he was All-State. Set some school records until Nick Gentry broke them. They should have kept him at DL. IMO
I agree 100% with ya..That was a bad situation those kids walk in on & they put the team needs above all else playing where they were needed the most on both side of the line..

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He got big under Franchione and didn't retain his quickness, unlike the aforementioned Gentry, whose motor made up for his lack of ideal size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
Seems like Bill Clark has put together a good staff and with the NCAA allowing the Blazers to freeze eligibility over the last two years, they will be one of the older teams in CFB.

How many of you all are going to catch a game at Legion this year? It's a good story in CFB.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
How many of you all are going to catch a game at Legion this year? It's a good story in CFB.
You couldn't pay me enough to see a game in that dump, plus I don't care about UAB football. In a year or 2 they will be back to having almost zero support and playing in a near empty stadium while being a financial burden on the school but, public outcry won and the great UAB football program is back!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.