Link: Changes to red-shirt rules possibly on the way.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sounds like a good change to me. Seems like we see a couple of players a year early in the season and then don't see them again. Conversely, there might be a few guys that earn playing time as the season goes but the staff doesn't want to burn his redshirt at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If those 4 games could happen at any time, it is a big deal, and probably as much for player safety as anything.

We've seen several times where a team has to choose between for instance putting a hurt QB out there, or burning a redshirt on a true freshman QB. This takes the pressure off choices like that. You could have the option to sit a hurt guy and let a true freshman get some minutes, without burning a year of eligibility.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If those 4 games could happen at any time, it is a big deal, and probably as much for player safety as anything.

We've seen several times where a team has to choose between for instance putting a hurt QB out there, or burning a redshirt on a true freshman QB. This takes the pressure off choices like that. You could have the option to sit a hurt guy and let a true freshman get some minutes, without burning a year of eligibility.
Or in Bama's case, we get to try out Mac and Tua early and see how things should be done with them in regards to backing up Jalen.

I don't see a downside to this rule at all. Anyone see an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personally, I'd like to see the NCAA just give everyone 5 years and forget the mention of redshirt.
Probably more in line with the academic reality of those who only take classes during the Spring and Fall semesters. Especially since you can't get three semesters of Pell Grant anymore. We have a lot of three year graduates in athletics but it is largely due to them staying in town during the Summer to get ahead of the curve on classes. The average student might have a class fill up before their registration date and get behind...we kept on getting bigger but not keeping up with instructors.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't see a downside to this rule at all. Anyone see an issue?
I think this could be seen as a way to basically have a guy play an extra year. It seems like it would work best if it only applied to the first season. Let's say you have a junior who is hurt or suspended for his first 6 games. Well, now if you can figure out a way to only play him 4 games (assuming he played as a true freshman), you can redshirt him? That seems a little off, so if I was going to have any concern it would be that it only applied to actual freshmen, otherwise there might be incentive to sit healthy veterans in some scenarios.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.