wireless cable modem reccommendation?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
​getting Xfinity next week; I'm going with the 150 Mbps plan. Want to buy a modem/router to save the $10/month.

Is a NETGEAR AC1600 sufficient for that plan, or do I need a AC1750?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
​getting Xfinity next week; I'm going with the 150 Mbps plan. Want to buy a modem/router to save the $10/month.

Is a NETGEAR AC1600 sufficient for that plan, or do I need a AC1750?
personally I prefer a separate cable modem and router and with Comcast make sure that you are not being charged for a rental modem. They've done that to me more than once even though I always provide my own gear

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
personally I prefer a separate cable modem and router and with Comcast make sure that you are not being charged for a rental modem. They've done that to me more than once even though I always provide my own gear
You can usually pick up a used/refurbed Motorola DOCSIS 3 modem online for under $50. That pays for itself pretty fast. I always like the external antennas for range and signal control.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I would buy a cable modem to be a cable modem and a wireless/wired router to be a router.

As for the modem - pick one:

http://heavy.com/tech/2016/10/top-b...patible-approved-cable-internet-modem-docsis/

For the router, I'm partial to the Nighthawk series. The AC1900 (R7000) has served me well since buying it last year. Unless you have an Earle-sized home it should do quite well. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Support-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6

ETA: If you have voice or Triple Play, your choices are more limited so you have to pay attention.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would buy a cable modem to be a cable modem and a wireless/wired router to be a router.

As for the modem - pick one:

http://heavy.com/tech/2016/10/top-b...patible-approved-cable-internet-modem-docsis/

For the router, I'm partial to the Nighthawk series. The AC1900 (R7000) has served me well since buying it last year. Unless you have an Earle-sized home it should do quite well. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Support-Compatible/dp/B00F0DD0I6

ETA: If you have voice or Triple Play, your choices are more limited so you have to pay attention.
LOL! The new Netgear Orbi system seems to be doing very well. I second the idea of the separate cable modem and router system. It's nice when they don't go down at once together. To go with the Orbi, I have a Zoom Series 1094 DOCSIS 3 modem. Fairly inexpensive and it performs well, sitting right next to the Primary Orbi router...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Going with the Arris SURFboard SB6183. I'll get a wireless router after my next paycheck. Another thing that made it better to get them separately is that it's easier to get a standalone wireless router with a USB 3.0 port.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Surely they will provide a modem with the service. You likely just need a good router - the best I've found in the last few years are the ASUS dual-band AC routers. Fast and rock solid, and the interface is dead simple to use.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Surely they will provide a modem with the service. You likely just need a good router - the best I've found in the last few years are the ASUS dual-band AC routers. Fast and rock solid, and the interface is dead simple to use.
Buying a separate modem will start paying off before the two year mark. Renting is a waste of money in the long term.

Separate modems and routers are always a good idea, if for no other reason than wireless technology advances at a much faster pace than modem tech. Your router will depreciate more quickly than your modem, and getting a combined modem/router will mean that both devices will need replacement if, in a few years, you want to update to the latest wireless protocols.

I use an Arris modem and Nighthawk router and my connection has been solid. Since my current apartment can't easily support wired Ethernet to my desktop, having a strong wireless signal is crucial.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.