What next?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
As I feared, the sweep of Auburn seems to have wiped away much of the ill will some of us had about this staff and the direction we are headed in. What do the people here think is going to happen now? Will half the team pack up and leave school at the beginning of next week, with a total roster makeover about to happen?

Or will Greg Byrne decide he wants his own man running the baseball program?

We have argued this all year, but to me the most damning thing about 2017 is that we have an rpi higher than one other team from a Power Five conference. Just the one.

Rtr

SECis the best

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2017
I for one, hope Greg Byrne decides he wants his own man running the baseball program. Somehow, the University of Alabama needs to fill that beautiful stadium at least on the weekends. People need to get excited about Bama Baseball again and I am just afraid it will not happen with Greg Goof running the show

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Since I haven't heard much rumblings about the program other than what has been voiced on Tidefans or a little twitter rumblings, I just don't see a change being made this quickly into his tenure at Alabama. I am in no way connected to the program, but just don't see it happening. Getting swept by Vanderbilt this weeked, if it happens, won't help. Then again I don't think it will be the straw that breaks the camel's back either. Time will tell, as it always does.

LukeBentley

Scout Team
May 31, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
www.comcast.net
I don't usually post much but when I here other rumblings and here sometimes false information, I have to find more sources. Anyway, I am disappointed in Coach Goff's first season with what our record is at. Today, our AD, Greg Byrne, said that he is NOT LETTING GO our baseball coach and he will be back in 2018.
Despite hearing rumblings on this site on different people wanting our baseball coach fired after the year we are having, I just want to know one thing: Who do you want as a coach for a year or two? Would you want to change coaches year in and year out?

We have already suffered through 7 years with Gaspard who can't win now at Kansas State.

I wish Coach Goff and staff the best for the future and I believe that he will turn this program around starting next season in 2018.

By the way, Coach Saban had a bad season in football his first year in 2007 going 7-6, I believe.

My information came from a tweet from the Anniston Star newspaper.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't usually post much but when I here other rumblings and here sometimes false information, I have to find more sources. Anyway, I am disappointed in Coach Goff's first season with what our record is at. Today, our AD, Greg Byrne, said that he is NOT LETTING GO our baseball coach and he will be back in 2018.
Despite hearing rumblings on this site on different people wanting our baseball coach fired after the year we are having, I just want to know one thing: Who do you want as a coach for a year or two? Would you want to change coaches year in and year out?

We have already suffered through 7 years with Gaspard who can't win now at Kansas State.

I wish Coach Goff and staff the best for the future and I believe that he will turn this program around starting next season in 2018.

By the way, Coach Saban had a bad season in football his first year in 2007 going 7-6, I believe.

Who cares if Saban went 7-6 in his first year in Tuscaloosa? What does that have to do with it? Did he have previous wins vacated by the NCAA? Did he have plenty of accusations like Goff had this year?

There's the big difference and why Saban's record doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
This baseball team won 5 conference games and got swept in six, yes SWEPT in SIX conference series this year and it's not over yet. There is the potential or likelihood it will be seven. Where can that be acceptable? Any team can be 5-22 just on dumb luck.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Coach Goff took a team that was 15-15 in the SEC last year and turned them into what will most likely be a 5-25 team the next (with an admittedly more difficult schedule). Our rpi is #174, which DOES put us ahead of TWO other Power Five schools (Northwestern and Penn State), but puts us behind:

South Alabama
Auburn
Samford
Troy
Jax State

and UAB

Is there any excuse whatsoever for this? Is there any reason at all, under the sun, that anyone can think of for the baseball program at the University of Alabama to have an rpi of 174 with a coach we hired to replace someone whose rpi last year was in the 60's? (iirc). I am perfectly satisfied if Mr. Byrne thinks that this staff is doing what it needs to for us to get back to being good again, but from where I sit it looks like it will be a long, long time for us to get back to 15-15 again.

jmo rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I think it will be interesting to see what happens after the players have their year end exit interviews. I know several have requested Byrne to be there.

I will say I had the opportunity to speak with AD Byrne regarding the program and I 100% believe he will make the right decision with the information he has. I just hope he gets all the information....

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Get swept by Vandy and we likely are closer to 185. Georgia is our next closer competition at 89. 11 of the 14 SEC schools are in the top 43 and we stand a good shot at getting 10 in a regional. Possibly 11.

There is no reason we should be behind teams like Presbyterian, Canisus, or Bryant College. Without Google, I couldn't tell you where the heck those schools are located!

Coach Goff took a team that was 15-15 in the SEC last year and turned them into what will most likely be a 5-25 team the next (with an admittedly more difficult schedule). Our rpi is #174, which DOES put us ahead of TWO other Power Five schools (Northwestern and Penn State), but puts us behind:

South Alabama
Auburn
Samford
Troy
Jax State

and UAB

Is there any excuse whatsoever for this? Is there any reason at all, under the sun, that anyone can think of for the baseball program at the University of Alabama to have an rpi of 174 with a coach we hired to replace someone whose rpi last year was in the 60's? (iirc). I am perfectly satisfied if Mr. Byrne thinks that this staff is doing what it needs to for us to get back to being good again, but from where I sit it looks like it will be a long, long time for us to get back to 15-15 again.

jmo rtr

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep I could coach this team to 5-25 in the SEC! I'm sure many of us could. So why does Goof deserve another year? I'm sure he'll be back and I'll hate the fact I will miss another baseball season....

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Well, if there is one sport that he should have a very good insight to, it should be baseball, I would think.

rtr

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
That does not mean you cannot be good in other sports. Ohio State and Florida are competing (and Louisville is not far behind) at a championship level in every single sport they have. We have not been relevant in basketball or baseball in forever and this baseball season was down right embarrassing. If anything, the success in football should be helping these sports succeed not being used as an excuse to keep them down.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How likely is it that the PTB got ahold of him as he was being hired and reminded him we are a football school first and foremost.
Saban has continued to make it known he believes every sport benefits when others are successful. Thus, why he helps in recruiting for other sports when he can. I'm sure he would completely disagree with the notion we are a football first school and make GB well aware of it.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I would want ANYONE except Goff coaching the team. And Gaspard is not the head coach at Kansas St. Goff is the worst hire by Bama for a major sport maybe ever. Anyone who thinks he will be successful at Bama has not been keeping up with the crap this guy has been pulling all year. The guy is a joke.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
uninformed post of the week.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.