Link: Nick Saban: Alabama lacked ownership in CFP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Nick Saban: Alabama lacked ownership in CFP

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Ditto this. People forget that Clemson only had 7 points at half. They also only had 1 drive in the first half that was longer than 40 yards.
    Right and yet still nearly 50 plays run in that first half. The damage was done by that point.

I agree he's attempting to motivate and get folks on the same page going into this season. And I agree that includes everyone, coaches included.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

One player for Clemson killed us, and it wasn't DW. If we could have covered Hunter Renfroe in either game, we win by 3 TDs...

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    One player for Clemson killed us, and it wasn't DW. If we could have covered Hunter Renfroe in either game, we win by 3 TDs...
    Or if someone would have blocked him on RA's fumble return, it would have been "game over" -- his tackle on Anderson saved the game for Clemson.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Quote Originally Posted by colbysullivan View Post
    This is where my Eddie Jackson "What if" comes in. If Eddie was healthy then Minkah would have been covering Renfrow instead of Brown. I know Renfrow had some success vs Minkah in the 1st game but I think its fair to expect that Minkah would have done better this time around.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Right and yet still nearly 50 plays run in that first half. The damage was done by that point.

I agree he's attempting to motivate and get folks on the same page going into this season. And I agree that includes everyone, coaches included.
    And you could tell Dabo knew it when he was interviewed at the half. Amazingly he knew EXACTLY how many plays they had run. It was like body blows in the early rounds of a fight to set up the knock out punch in the later rounds.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

It is very clear that CNS knew the precise reason we lost the game was a failure of the offense in the second half to make first downs. Forget scoring. If we have one or two 8-10 play drives that ended in punts (instead of 3 and outs) we win #17.

Mr. Daball, here's your problem to fix.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    I still don't want to talk about it.
    You too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    Agree for sure. Both Championship Games vs. Clemson could have gone either way pretty easily. I don't think one team was that much more focused than the other. Sometimes those are just the breaks... And in general Saban knows how important it is to be focused so he harps on it to motivate the kids who had their hearts broken.

If anything, honestly, it sounds like he's criticizing his coaches more than the players.
    Our Offensive game was flawed. Jalen nearly won the game in spite of poor play calling. He would have won the game, except our Defense was spent. We allowed last ditch heroics to beat us. WE WERE THIS - CLOSE... But we didn't finish.

BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar

We just need a rubber match ...

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoastGhost View Post
    We just need a rubber match ...
    It worked for the Warriors and Cavs...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dadleyblane5 View Post
    We "figured" him out the 2nd time we played them, and was eating their offense alive. But, we couldn't sustain drives to keep our Offense on the field and our D got tired from so many plays they played. If the Offense could've stayed on the field more, IMO, we would've wiped the floor with DW. JMO
    The defense got a lot more hits on Watson in the second game. Not dirty hits, clean, but hard hits.
    To DW's credit, he got up and went back to playing, but I bet he was sore the next morning.

I think the bulk of the problem lay with the Kiffin/Sarkisian offense. Clemson's staff definitely had it figured out in not even defending the middle of the field. I cursed that the entire game. Maybe Jalen couldn't have handled it and we would have lost bigger. However, being a Bama fan, I don't like the approach of minimizing the loss. Perhaps we didn't have any plays for the middle and those open receivers. Perhaps Jalen hadn't been trained to look there and couldn't have picked it up in a week. IDK. However, I'll always be convinced we made it easy for Dabo. Only our heroic defense kept it to a last second loss. BTW, I don't know who said it above, but sloppy tackling always arrives with fatigue...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

I think he's using it as motivation for this year, but at the same time I think he's talking about some players and some coaches to prove his point. I do think Sark did a decent job considering it was his first game in a while and things seemed last minute. I blame that snafu on Kiffin of course. Maybe a few players thought they had the title as well before we even played the game.

You never know with Coach though.