Link: Nick Saban: Alabama lacked ownership in CFP

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Agree for sure. Both Championship Games vs. Clemson could have gone either way pretty easily. I don't think one team was that much more focused than the other. Sometimes those are just the breaks... And in general Saban knows how important it is to be focused so he harps on it to motivate the kids who had their hearts broken.

If anything, honestly, it sounds like he's criticizing his coaches more than the players.
Our Offensive game was flawed. Jalen nearly won the game in spite of poor play calling. He would have won the game, except our Defense was spent. We allowed last ditch heroics to beat us. WE WERE THIS - CLOSE... But we didn't finish.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
We "figured" him out the 2nd time we played them, and was eating their offense alive. But, we couldn't sustain drives to keep our Offense on the field and our D got tired from so many plays they played. If the Offense could've stayed on the field more, IMO, we would've wiped the floor with DW. JMO
The defense got a lot more hits on Watson in the second game. Not dirty hits, clean, but hard hits.
To DW's credit, he got up and went back to playing, but I bet he was sore the next morning.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think the bulk of the problem lay with the Kiffin/Sarkisian offense. Clemson's staff definitely had it figured out in not even defending the middle of the field. I cursed that the entire game. Maybe Jalen couldn't have handled it and we would have lost bigger. However, being a Bama fan, I don't like the approach of minimizing the loss. Perhaps we didn't have any plays for the middle and those open receivers. Perhaps Jalen hadn't been trained to look there and couldn't have picked it up in a week. IDK. However, I'll always be convinced we made it easy for Dabo. Only our heroic defense kept it to a last second loss. BTW, I don't know who said it above, but sloppy tackling always arrives with fatigue...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think he's using it as motivation for this year, but at the same time I think he's talking about some players and some coaches to prove his point. I do think Sark did a decent job considering it was his first game in a while and things seemed last minute. I blame that snafu on Kiffin of course. Maybe a few players thought they had the title as well before we even played the game.

You never know with Coach though.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I felt like the month lay off worked against us, cause for a solid month on ESPN, all you heard was how bad Bama was going to beat Clemson..It'seems like that every game we play, to Clemson's credit, they were every bit as good as we were & played with a chip on their shoulder just cause of what the media was saying beforethe game..

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
I meet a lady on the beach this past weekend. She works for Delta and is a flight attendant on Clemson's Charter flights. She said the vibe on the plane from the team was all confidence, they knew they were going to win. She described it as electric.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I meet a lady on the beach this past weekend. She works for Delta and is a flight attendant on Clemson's Charter flights. She said the vibe on the plane from the team was all confidence, they knew they were going to win. She described it as electric.
That's a warm and fuzzy story if Clemson wins, but it they get beat many would say they were "over-confident."

Not a reaction to you sharing this story at all, but stories like this circulate around big games like this all the time. Have we ever heard of a team who is about to play in the championship game openly questioning if they can beat their oponent??? Of course not. You wouln't be there if there was any self/team doubt.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Not so after the semi-finals, TM. Almost all the talking-head money had swung to Clemson after they pasted tOSU.

I felt like the month lay off worked against us, cause for a solid month on ESPN, all you heard was how bad Bama was going to beat Clemson..It'seems like that every game we play, to Clemson's credit, they were every bit as good as we were & played with a chip on their shoulder just cause of what the media was saying beforethe game..

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
That's a warm and fuzzy story if Clemson wins, but it they get beat many would say they were "over-confident."

Not a reaction to you sharing this story at all, but stories like this circulate around big games like this all the time. Have we ever heard of a team who is about to play in the championship game openly questioning if they can beat their oponent??? Of course not. You wouln't be there if there was any self/team doubt.
"It's all Alabama..."

- Brian Kelly

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There is something incredibly unsatisfying about being the team that won the first match up and lost the 2nd. No opportunity to get revenge or anything like that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There is something incredibly unsatisfying about being the team that won the first match up and lost the 2nd. No opportunity to get revenge or anything like that.
I think I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day we both won a national championship. If we lost the first game, even though losing lights a fire under a competitor's butt, there's not guarantee we get back the championship game or win it.

Now, what would be cool is if there's a rubber match next year! Without DW, I'd take those odds right now!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day we both won a national championship. If we lost the first game, even though losing lights a fire under a competitor's butt, there's not guarantee we get back the championship game or win it.

Now, what would be cool is if there's a rubber match next year! Without DW, I'd take those odds right now!
Yea I'm not at all saying I wish we had lost the first one or anything like that. Just meant that there is something about losing a rematch that hurts in a different way than if it was a onetime game. Not necessarily worse just different.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.