Last Goof-ball thread of torture till 2018! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Last Goof-ball thread of torture till 2018!

Now that he's got Byrne's benediction, maybe Goofy can even augment his salary with ESPN hiring him as a two-cents' worth version of Bob Uecker for this week's SEC tournament - gotta have some real comic relief to share from a coaching style that "established" his program with a conference record for losses...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

You know the program is in bad shape when we can't even make the SEC Tourney. This has ruined my whole baseball season.

Historically bad, so why would anyone want to hear our coach's opinion on the SEC tournament (I realize you were kidding)?

rtr

If Goofy's many quirks (one-man No Fly Zone) and peccadilloes (postgame dining with parents not on the menu) can be documented, it's almost unconscionable to keep him and risk 'Bama making a quantum improvement next year to .500 and have those few (two, or down to one now?) praising him clamoring for a contract extension. And soon you're stuck with a coach who never should have stepped cleat in Tuscaloosa in the first place for who knows how many years...Makes Sonnyboy Shula's hiring look absolutely Fortune 500 CEO headhunter quality by comparison.

So you've got his remaining contract to pay off vs. losing the program for who knows how long if he stays on. I'm not an AD nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express dugout last night, but this sounds like a misbegotten case study in bad baseball or sports business. Even if it's supposedly a done deal that Goofy will be back, it would behoove Byrne to revisit the calamity that Bill Battle has wrought in bringing in the college baseball version of Manager Max Patkin...

Most losses in an SEC season: 22 (we broke that one)
    Most losses overall: 35 (almost got that one)
    Fewest SEC wins in a season: 4, and except for one crazy weekend in Lee County, where would we be?

And once again, someone PLEASE tell me how we went from running off a coach who had us spinning our wheels for seven years, even with rpi's almost always in the top 60 (I know we totally bombed in 2012), to bringing in a guy who totally destroyed what we had left of a program in one fell swoop? This was someone's freakin' plan?

Unless your kid is on the team why would anyone buy season tickets to see this program moving forward?

rtr

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Most losses in an SEC season: 22 (we broke that one)
    Most losses overall: 35 (almost got that one)
    Fewest SEC wins in a season: 4, and except for one crazy weekend in Lee County, where would we be?

And once again, someone PLEASE tell me how we went from running off a coach who had us spinning our wheels for seven years, even with rpi's almost always in the top 60 (I know we totally bombed in 2012), to bringing in a guy who totally destroyed what we had left of a program in one fell swoop? This was someone's freakin' plan?

Unless your kid is on the team why would anyone buy season tickets to see this program moving forward?

rtr
    So, he has started player meetings and so far has told 2 players they are being cut, highly suggested 1 needs to look around, and taken scholarships from 2 starters. (The one he is suggesting transfer was also getting $$$) Guess we know how he plans on signing all the kids he has promised money.

One thing that is curious to me is BAMA supposedly has a no cut policy due to performance. Therefore, if the kids he has told are not getting their scholarships renewed dont agree to play as walk-ons, they keep their $$. Sounds like to me taking their money only works if they leave school. Anyone know for sure what the policy is on taking scholarship's?

You know, I truly don't like knowing this crap goes on, but I know it does. A friend of a friend who played for Mitch had his money taken before his senior year and was told that if he wanted to finish he had to pay his own way. So what are you going to do if you love the game and they tell you that?

He wound up coming back, starting and graduating, but the whole thing soured me on Mitch and on college ball in general. My son in law played high level D2 ball and had none of these problems. I don't know what the scholarship limits are down there but he got a full ride for four solid years. I wish something would happen to even the playing field for the guys in D1.

Rtr

BamaNation First Team

I was in support of this staff early on. But now that I understand what happened during the course of the season, I can no longer support this head coach.
    The AD has to admit that the hire was a mistake, fire him, and go hire the best proven head coach we can. Our baseball program can't afford to waste another year. Many of us season ticket holders tolerated the last year's of the last staff and were patient, knowing a change was coming soon. And then to waste another year on an individual with zero character and so full of himself that he lives in his own small world. This is one of the most arrogant and isolating staffs that you could ever imagine. I fully believe Rooney is the only one on the staff who has a clue on how to handle themselves in a professional way. I met Rooney only once, but I have observed him and feel he is the only one who has a clue. I'm not campaigning for Rooney as HC, I don't think he is what we need.
    The fans deserve a #1 man. Roll Tide!

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Wow. Just 'wow'.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Last Goofball "thread of torture"....................... EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own, to do as I please."