Last Goof-ball thread of torture till 2018!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Well.... we score first on a Taylor HR and get Vandy 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 1st. Might keep this one in single digits.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Greg Goof has killed my whole spirit this year. Waiting for Omaha to find me a "never heard of" team to root for:biggrin:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I'd be shocked if they complete this one today. Just looked at the future cast on weather.com and rain is solid through midnight.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Rain delay, before the 9th starts.

Tied at 3..................maybe they will just have mercy on us, and end it.

Looks like we got our wish............................game called, ends in a tie.

Goof will try to spin this into "we didn't get swept!", but we are not buying it. Outscored 31-2, in the first 2 games...................yeah, it counts as sweep.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Our rpi actually rose two spots to #174 with our impressive tie, so the day wasn't a total wash.

Rtr

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Now that he's got Byrne's benediction, maybe Goofy can even augment his salary with ESPN hiring him as a two-cents' worth version of Bob Uecker for this week's SEC tournament - gotta have some real comic relief to share from a coaching style that "established" his program with a conference record for losses...

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Historically bad, so why would anyone want to hear our coach's opinion on the SEC tournament (I realize you were kidding)?

rtr

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
If Goofy's many quirks (one-man No Fly Zone) and peccadilloes (postgame dining with parents not on the menu) can be documented, it's almost unconscionable to keep him and risk 'Bama making a quantum improvement next year to .500 and have those few (two, or down to one now?) praising him clamoring for a contract extension. And soon you're stuck with a coach who never should have stepped cleat in Tuscaloosa in the first place for who knows how many years...Makes Sonnyboy Shula's hiring look absolutely Fortune 500 CEO headhunter quality by comparison.

So you've got his remaining contract to pay off vs. losing the program for who knows how long if he stays on. I'm not an AD nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express dugout last night, but this sounds like a misbegotten case study in bad baseball or sports business. Even if it's supposedly a done deal that Goofy will be back, it would behoove Byrne to revisit the calamity that Bill Battle has wrought in bringing in the college baseball version of Manager Max Patkin...

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Most losses in an SEC season: 22 (we broke that one)
Most losses overall: 35 (almost got that one)
Fewest SEC wins in a season: 4, and except for one crazy weekend in Lee County, where would we be?

And once again, someone PLEASE tell me how we went from running off a coach who had us spinning our wheels for seven years, even with rpi's almost always in the top 60 (I know we totally bombed in 2012), to bringing in a guy who totally destroyed what we had left of a program in one fell swoop? This was someone's freakin' plan?

Unless your kid is on the team why would anyone buy season tickets to see this program moving forward?

rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Most losses in an SEC season: 22 (we broke that one)
Most losses overall: 35 (almost got that one)
Fewest SEC wins in a season: 4, and except for one crazy weekend in Lee County, where would we be?

And once again, someone PLEASE tell me how we went from running off a coach who had us spinning our wheels for seven years, even with rpi's almost always in the top 60 (I know we totally bombed in 2012), to bringing in a guy who totally destroyed what we had left of a program in one fell swoop? This was someone's freakin' plan?

Unless your kid is on the team why would anyone buy season tickets to see this program moving forward?

rtr
So, he has started player meetings and so far has told 2 players they are being cut, highly suggested 1 needs to look around, and taken scholarships from 2 starters. (The one he is suggesting transfer was also getting $$$) Guess we know how he plans on signing all the kids he has promised money.

One thing that is curious to me is BAMA supposedly has a no cut policy due to performance. Therefore, if the kids he has told are not getting their scholarships renewed dont agree to play as walk-ons, they keep their $$. Sounds like to me taking their money only works if they leave school. Anyone know for sure what the policy is on taking scholarship's?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
You know, I truly don't like knowing this crap goes on, but I know it does. A friend of a friend who played for Mitch had his money taken before his senior year and was told that if he wanted to finish he had to pay his own way. So what are you going to do if you love the game and they tell you that?

He wound up coming back, starting and graduating, but the whole thing soured me on Mitch and on college ball in general. My son in law played high level D2 ball and had none of these problems. I don't know what the scholarship limits are down there but he got a full ride for four solid years. I wish something would happen to even the playing field for the guys in D1.

Rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.