Computer Problem Revolving Around iPhone 7

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Long story short - I killed my iPhone 6 with water damage at the beach this week. Bought an iPhone 7 yesterday. I primarily use my laptop these days for iTunes and backing up my phone and iPad. That's where the problem is. My computer is so old it has Vista. Unfortunately, the iTunes needed for a 7 is not supported by Vista.

From what I can tell, I have a few options:

1. Buy a new computer

2. Find someone selling a copy of Windows 7 to install on my computer.

3. Continue to to migrate my documents to my wife's MacBook after failing three times already.

Anyone have experience or advice with this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Really wish that Apple would do a few things to alleviate this problem:

1. Make parental-children account system actually work like something based in reality where each has their own Apple ID and password instead of these stupid surrogate type accounts for kids.

2. Up the free iCloud storage for Apple accounts to something that could actually hold a decent full encrypted backup.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For anyone with an iPhone reading this - trust me when I tell you it's worth the $0.99/month for 50GB of data - you can auto magically backup your entire phone to the cloud (I back up four different iPhones to iCloud ) so you can restore any time you need as long as you have an internet connection...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I second CA's advice. $12 a year for 50 GB is extremely worth it, IMO. I backup 5 devices, including my iPhone 7 that has 45 GB of data on it. Now, the backup is only 4 GB because, an iCloud back doesn't actually back up your apps, just your settings and files within each app. This obviously keeps the files size of the backups down which is why my 5 devices that are backed up only use 7 GB of my storage. When you restore an iCloud backup it restores your settings and files and then redownloads all your apps from the App Store. The one downside to this method is that if you have a really old app that is no longer in the App Store, it will be lost forever.

I love iCloud backup and have been using it for years. I've never had a problem restoring to a new device, it is very simple. I can't even remember the last time I connected my phone to iTunes, it has been years. Since all my music is in the cloud, all my photos sync to Google Photos and my backups are in the cloud, there is just no need to connect my phone to iTunes anymore.

I highly recommend spending the $.99, you'll love the freedom from iTunes.

The poster formerly known as RollTide1017

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Will start paying for the 50GB iCloud for sure.

Since my laptop continues to fail using the migration assistant with my wife's MacBook, would I be better of using an external hard drive to take my files from the laptop to her Mac?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Still doesn't get it the version new enough for me to use. This is pretty annoying. Obviously, I need a new computer, but there doesn't seem to be an efficient way to get the data from this laptop to a new one, either.
Yes that can be a pain. I had a similar issue. My old laptop had windows 7, my new laptop has windows 10. I thought I could just buy an external hard drive “enclosure. Turns out Windows to will not read the windows 7 hard drive. I would guess you would have the same issue with Vista. Since the old laptop my old computer's processor was fried will not even turn on so I lost everything on my old computer and I had absolutely nothing backed-up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let us know if it works!
This is great. Looked like it would work, but my most recent iPhone backup isn't in the backup folder to copy. Matter of fact, none of my iPhone backups show up on my wife's computer. Looking at my iTunes, I see a list of backups. After copying the folder to her computer, I checked the list of backups in her iTunes. My iPad shows up. None of my phone backups do, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And I believe I've figured out why my March 6 backup isn't listed on her computer. It didn't copy to my flash drive because it had a few errors.

Now, I have to figure out how to fix those errors.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.