Link: An open letter to Byrne: Goff has to go

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have seen a couple people share the story about pulling scholarships on Facebook today. Both had inside connections to the athletic department, one is the father of a former player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I am very surprised that the current AD has let this happen in this way. Maybe the University hired the wrong AD?

rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I am very surprised that the current AD has let this happen in this way. Maybe the University hired the wrong AD?

rtr
Knowing folks who knew him at Arizona, no way! Goff did not expect kids parents to go to the media. He thought the kids would transfer and it wouldn't be a big deal. He did the same thing at La Tech and got away with it...

Another week or less and this will all be resolved.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Oh, I really, really hope so. This guy has given the program a huge black eye, and work needs to begin right now to heal that wound.

rtr

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Knowing folks who knew him at Arizona, no way! Goff did not expect kids parents to go to the media. He thought the kids would transfer and it wouldn't be a big deal. He did the same thing at La Tech and got away with it...

Another week or less and this will all be resolved.
Hopefully, that's the message Byrne is sending to the players and parents.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Not his mess, but is it not? How long have these rumors been rolling around the message boards? I mean, essentially what is being said on TideSports is exactly what has been rumored for months, so it's not like Byrne wouldn't have heard about it and had the chance to head it off? That being the case maybe he LET Goff tie the noose and hang himself? If so that was pretty sharp and we can maybe save that money and hire a legit power 5 coach?

But if that's not the case I have serious doubts about Byrne.

rtr

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I have been away for a few weeks and haven't been able to read or post on here. Now that I am back and the world seems to have imploded, I will throw in my two cents.

First and foremost, I do not believe that a first year coach should be canned based on the results of his first year. I believe that a coach should be given three years at least to get his system and his players in place. So ... I don't think the record this year, as bad and as frustrating as it was, should get Goff fired.

HOWEVER, if the NCAA violations actually did happen, and if even half of what has been said on here and in the open letter to Greg Byrne is accurate, Goff needs to find something else to do. I will be honest and admit that I was not aware that the NCAA had changed the rule about reducing or eliminating a scholly. Whether I knew it or not is irrelevant. Goff is the head coach at an SEC school. Any head coach at an SEC school has got to know the rules and follow them. Even though the NCAA rule book is about as easy to understand as Chinese math, there is no excuse. Before taking any action regarding players or prospects, a coach must know the rules. If he or she doesn't, that's why we have a compliance staff. I'm sure that any coach at UA can walk into the compliance staff offices at any time and ask questions. If the compliance staff doesn't know the answers, I'm sure they can get the answers within a matter of hours. That is why they exist.

I don't know what is going to happen, nor does anyone else on here. Although bill Battle was the AD who hired Goff, according to a column by Cecil Hurt that appeared in the Tuscaloosa News a few weeks back, one of his "advisors" in making the hire was Greg Byrne. I don't know if that fact will save Goff if the recent reports are accurate. What I do know is this: UA and the athletic department need to conduct a full and complete investigation and, if the reports are true, a change needs to be made. If the reports are not accurate, the truth needs to be publicly dessiminated and we need to move forward.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Expect a major announcement within 48 hours or less. Came directly from someone inside the media. Apparently decision has been made.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Expect a major announcement within 48 hours or less. Came directly from someone inside the media. Apparently decision has been made.
Sounds like a Friday 5:00 news dump is on the way...

Would they really fire him during the SEC Tournament, though? Thought there was an understanding those things didn't occur during conference tournaments.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Perfect timing for it - Goofy could then participate (as himself) in the sixth inning mascot race and seventh-inning stretch his legs to leave the stadium and SEC baseball behind for good...

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I am hearing there is a 3:00 pm press conference set for today and a team meeting before hand. Sounds like he is gone as of now.
Sounds like a Friday 5:00 news dump is on the way...

Would they really fire him during the SEC Tournament, though? Thought there was an understanding those things didn't occur during conference tournaments.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Okie dokie. Then Mr. Byrne can work his magic during the CWS and get us someone to have us moving in the right direction.

As bad as this year was, a couple of good arms can turn this thing around, and though I don't see any way 2018 will be a banner year, 2019 could be.

rtr

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Not his mess, but is it not? How long have these rumors been rolling around the message boards? I mean, essentially what is being said on TideSports is exactly what has been rumored for months, so it's not like Byrne wouldn't have heard about it and had the chance to head it off? That being the case maybe he LET Goff tie the noose and hang himself? If so that was pretty sharp and we can maybe save that money and hire a legit power 5 coach?

But if that's not the case I have serious doubts about Byrne.

rtr
I want to be clear on some things:
-He started working on March 1st. So it's possible that he spent the next two months Evaluating the program... so I don't see how it's his mess... It was Bill Battle's hire... Beside there was a rumor for long time that Goff was being evaluated.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.