Link: An open letter to Byrne: Goff has to go - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: An open letter to Byrne: Goff has to go

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    I am very surprised that the current AD has let this happen in this way. Maybe the University hired the wrong AD?

rtr
    Definitely no. This is not his mess.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

2. Advertisement

Not his mess, but is it not? How long have these rumors been rolling around the message boards? I mean, essentially what is being said on TideSports is exactly what has been rumored for months, so it's not like Byrne wouldn't have heard about it and had the chance to head it off? That being the case maybe he LET Goff tie the noose and hang himself? If so that was pretty sharp and we can maybe save that money and hire a legit power 5 coach?

But if that's not the case I have serious doubts about Byrne.

rtr

BamaNation First Team

I have been away for a few weeks and haven't been able to read or post on here. Now that I am back and the world seems to have imploded, I will throw in my two cents.

First and foremost, I do not believe that a first year coach should be canned based on the results of his first year. I believe that a coach should be given three years at least to get his system and his players in place. So ... I don't think the record this year, as bad and as frustrating as it was, should get Goff fired.

HOWEVER, if the NCAA violations actually did happen, and if even half of what has been said on here and in the open letter to Greg Byrne is accurate, Goff needs to find something else to do. I will be honest and admit that I was not aware that the NCAA had changed the rule about reducing or eliminating a scholly. Whether I knew it or not is irrelevant. Goff is the head coach at an SEC school. Any head coach at an SEC school has got to know the rules and follow them. Even though the NCAA rule book is about as easy to understand as Chinese math, there is no excuse. Before taking any action regarding players or prospects, a coach must know the rules. If he or she doesn't, that's why we have a compliance staff. I'm sure that any coach at UA can walk into the compliance staff offices at any time and ask questions. If the compliance staff doesn't know the answers, I'm sure they can get the answers within a matter of hours. That is why they exist.

I don't know what is going to happen, nor does anyone else on here. Although bill Battle was the AD who hired Goff, according to a column by Cecil Hurt that appeared in the Tuscaloosa News a few weeks back, one of his "advisors" in making the hire was Greg Byrne. I don't know if that fact will save Goff if the recent reports are accurate. What I do know is this: UA and the athletic department need to conduct a full and complete investigation and, if the reports are true, a change needs to be made. If the reports are not accurate, the truth needs to be publicly dessiminated and we need to move forward.

Expect a major announcement within 48 hours or less. Came directly from someone inside the media. Apparently decision has been made.

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    Expect a major announcement within 48 hours or less. Came directly from someone inside the media. Apparently decision has been made.
    Sounds ominous for Goff. Why have a "major announcment" to just say the current coach will still be the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanatic View Post
    Sounds ominous for Goff. Why have a "major announcment" to just say the current coach will still be the coach.
    Exactly! I want to say more but.....
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    Sounds like a Friday 5:00 news dump is on the way...

Would they really fire him during the SEC Tournament, though? Thought there was an understanding those things didn't occur during conference tournaments.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Perfect timing for it - Goofy could then participate (as himself) in the sixth inning mascot race and seventh-inning stretch his legs to leave the stadium and SEC baseball behind for good...

I am hearing there is a 3:00 pm press conference set for today and a team meeting before hand. Sounds like he is gone as of now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post

Would they really fire him during the SEC Tournament, though? Thought there was an understanding those things didn't occur during conference tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post

Yup. I expect them to announce at 3pm.

BamaNation First Team Titans&Tide's Avatar

So the 3:00 presser is confirmed to be happening?

Okie dokie. Then Mr. Byrne can work his magic during the CWS and get us someone to have us moving in the right direction.

As bad as this year was, a couple of good arms can turn this thing around, and though I don't see any way 2018 will be a banner year, 2019 could be.

rtr

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Not his mess, but is it not? How long have these rumors been rolling around the message boards? I mean, essentially what is being said on TideSports is exactly what has been rumored for months, so it's not like Byrne wouldn't have heard about it and had the chance to head it off? That being the case maybe he LET Goff tie the noose and hang himself? If so that was pretty sharp and we can maybe save that money and hire a legit power 5 coach?

But if that's not the case I have serious doubts about Byrne.

rtr
    I want to be clear on some things:
    -He started working on March 1st. So it's possible that he spent the next two months Evaluating the program... so I don't see how it's his mess... It was Bill Battle's hire... Beside there was a rumor for long time that Goff was being evaluated.