Link: An open letter to Byrne: Goff has to go

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Sounds like a Friday 5:00 news dump is on the way...

Would they really fire him during the SEC Tournament, though? Thought there was an understanding those things didn't occur during conference tournaments.
I think they'd rather you not, but due to the NCAA violations, he needed to go right away, his record was immaterial. I would hope the league office understands.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not his mess, but is it not? How long have these rumors been rolling around the message boards? I mean, essentially what is being said on TideSports is exactly what has been rumored for months, so it's not like Byrne wouldn't have heard about it and had the chance to head it off? That being the case maybe he LET Goff tie the noose and hang himself? If so that was pretty sharp and we can maybe save that money and hire a legit power 5 coach?

But if that's not the case I have serious doubts about Byrne.

rtr
Byrne is a very well respected AD and to have doubts about him is ridiculous. The only doubt there has been is that Goff was a terrible hire. I'm sure Bryne was doing his due diligence and when it came time he put the hammer down.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Knowing folks who knew him at Arizona, no way! Goff did not expect kids parents to go to the media. He thought the kids would transfer and it wouldn't be a big deal. He did the same thing at La Tech and got away with it...

Another week or less and this will all be resolved.

I'm glad they went to the media to save Bama baseball!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Byrne is a very well respected AD and to have doubts about him is ridiculous. The only doubt there has been is that Goff was a terrible hire. I'm sure Bryne was doing his due diligence and when it came time he put the hammer down.
It is not ridiculous to have had doubts before the fact, since Byrne gave the guy a vote of confidence just last week and the stories in the media were out BEFORE he made any kind of move, but no matter. It's done now. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of hire our 'baseball guy' AD can make for a program that really needs so serious guidance.

rtr

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It is not ridiculous to have had doubts before the fact, since Byrne gave the guy a vote of confidence just last week and the stories in the media were out BEFORE he made any kind of move, but no matter. It's done now. I am really looking forward to seeing what kind of hire our 'baseball guy' AD can make for a program that really needs so serious guidance.

rtr
Even though the rumors were out there is a real chance Byrne didn't really know until this week when the story said the players and parents led a revolt to Bryne and started this whole deal of Goof being ran off. That would explain why he decided to fire him rather than give him another year. Think about that before we throw Byrne under the bus. Yes I'm very sure he heard the rumors I'm sure, but if the kids were not talking there is not much he could have done at the time the rumors went out. But once the kids/parents came to him he laid the hammer down and honestly I like that. He held Goof accountable and sent him walking.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Even though the rumors were out there is a real chance Byrne didn't really know until this week when the story said the players and parents led a revolt to Bryne and started this whole deal of Goof being ran off. That would explain why he decided to fire him rather than give him another year. Think about that before we throw Byrne under the bus. Yes I'm very sure he heard the rumors I'm sure, but if the kids were not talking there is not much he could have done at the time the rumors went out. But once the kids/parents came to him he laid the hammer down and honestly I like that. He held Goof accountable and sent him walking.
Byrne went so far as to sit in the dugout in several games as well. He was already keenly aware of what was going on. The AD just doesn't come sit in the dugout during ball games unless he's already caught wind of something.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A public vote of confidence from the boss is not always a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The new rule as of 2015 says that a player's scholarship cannot be revoked for quality of play. This rule only applies to Power 5 conferences. That is a big disadvantage for new coaches in any sport. There will be no more running off the bad apples. I can see the good and bad in this rule....but it is definitely bad as far as rebuilding.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The new rule as of 2015 says that a player's scholarship cannot be revoked for quality of play. This rule only applies to Power 5 conferences. That is a big disadvantage for new coaches in any sport. There will be no more running off the bad apples. I can see the good and bad in this rule....but it is definitely bad as far as rebuilding.
Only applies to P5? So he would have been able to do it at La Tech and get away with it. Probably figured he would be able to get away with it here, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Keep in mind they can be removed from the roster... Taking a scholarship is a lot different than being removed from the roster. Obviously you'd be wasting a scholly on a kid at that point.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Byrne went so far as to sit in the dugout in several games as well. He was already keenly aware of what was going on. The AD just doesn't come sit in the dugout during ball games unless he's already caught wind of something.
Curious when Byrne was in the dugout. Not saying he wasn't, I asked a couple of players and they said they never saw him.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Heard as recently as yesterday from someone plugged in pretty tightly to college baseball in the state that the players were so fed up with GG that they asked Greg Byrne to sit in on some sort of team exit meeting that was conducted at the end of the season. Not sure if that actually happened but that's what I heard.

Also found it interesting that not only has GG's name and bio pretty much been scrubbed from the university's athletic website but also includes a huge banner saying Greg Goff has been dismissed. Usually these things are done quietly and not advertised, much less promoted, on a websites. In this case its like they want EVERYONE to know what has been done. Given all of the allegations of what has been going on, that makes sense to me.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Heard as recently as yesterday from someone plugged in pretty tightly to college baseball in the state that the players were so fed up with GG that they asked Greg Byrne to sit in on some sort of team exit meeting that was conducted at the end of the season. Not sure if that actually happened but that's what I heard.

Also found it interesting that not only has GG's name and bio pretty much been scrubbed from the university's athletic website but also includes a huge banner saying Greg Goff has been dismissed. Usually these things are done quietly and not advertised, much less promoted, on a websites. In this case its like they want EVERYONE to know what has been done. Given all of the allegations of what has been going on, that makes sense to me.
The seniors all have exit interviews and some DID request Byrne to be present. To be fair to Goff, the players do bear a very small portion of blame in regards to not buying in. Byrne made that known when he told them Goff was dismissed. 99.9% of not buying in was the way Goff treated them!

On a side note, anyone see the video of Avery Johnson in the batting cage yesterday? Man needs to stick to basketball! 😂

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.