Link: An open letter to Byrne: Goff has to go
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

An open letter to Byrne: Goff has to go

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/5/2...goff-has-to-go

Excellent read. Brutally honest. Goff is about to decimate Alabama's already feeble baseball program.
    Last edited by Displaced Bama Fan; May 23rd, 2017 at 10:01 AM.

2. Advertisement

Re: An open letter to Byrne: Goff has to go

This is the most damning thing I have read about a coach at Alabama since the football fiascos after Coach Stallings left (and prior to Mike Shula whose character was never in question).

rtr

Having spoken to Byrne about many of the issues raised in this letter, he defended Goff on many of them.

All the travel has been arranged before Goofball was hired. That is scheduled/budget 12 months out. The Campbell issues were 100% an administrative error and had nothing to do with Goofball. He also debunked the per-diem as Goof has to provide food OR give $$$. He does box meals.

That said, the treatment of players is the biggest isssue. Unfortunately, last I have heard, a kid struck by Goff a la Bobby Knight, and a kid who had an object thrown at his head refuse to speak up. Afraid of losing $$$ and their spot on the team. I had hoped they would talk but, they'd rather just be quiet....

i know several others who have talked to Byrne and I think he is a stand up guy who wants baseball to succeed. I just think short of the players treatment coming out, Goff stays. I just don't see the info getting out unless those involved speak up. I'm not blaming the kids. Imagine if you are a junior so, if you speak up AND Goff stays your career is over. Can't go to another school without sitting out. Chances are no school wants you b/c you are a snitch!

On top of that, he ruined three kids arms. This dude is special...in the wrong way unfortunately.
    Last edited by Displaced Bama Fan; May 23rd, 2017 at 05:02 PM.

Sounds to me like Greg Byrne is making excuses so he does not have to make a big decision just yet. And that is disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    Having spoken to Byrne about many of the issues raised in this letter, he defended Goff on many of them.

All the travel has been arranged before Goofball was hired. That is scheduled/budget 12 months out. The Campbell issues were 100% an administrative error and had nothing to do with Goofball. He also debunked the per-diem as Goof has to provide food OR give $$$. He does box meals.

That said, the treatment of players is the biggest isssue. Unfortunately, last I have heard, a kid struck by Goff a la Bobby Knight, and a kid who had an object thrown at his head refuse to speak up. Afraid of losing $$$ and their spot on the team. I had hoped they would talk but, they'd rather just be quiet....

i know several others who have talked to Byrne and I think he is a stand up guy who wants baseball to succeed. I just think short of the players treatment coming out, Goff stays. I just don't see the info getting out unless those involved speak up. I'm not blaming the kids. Imagine if you are a junior so, if you speak up AND Goff stays your career is over. Can't go to another school without sitting out. Chances are no school wants you b/c you are a snitch!

If Chandler Taylor has been cut I think it needs to be made public as to the reason why, and right now I would sure as hell rather have Taylor associated with the team than I would Goff.

rtr

I know it hasn't been good since Goff got here. If stuff in this editorial is true, he has got to go. I have heard from more than 1 person he is afraid to fly. That being said South Carolina is a school the baseball team has flown to in the past. Arkansas, Texas A&M and Florida also. Lucky for the kids, those schools played at the JOE this year. I for one have been a Bama baseball fan for a long time. The way it is now, if I had a kid good enough to play in the SEC, I would encourage him to go somewhere else.

Goff did not go to the alumni luncheon. Are you kidding me?? Does he think he is that good that he does not need any help from guys that played here. Former players can be a huge help in the recruiting process. Coach Avery Johnson (basketball) was there. Maybe he found a point guard or 2......Do the right thing Greg Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by ptw1961 View Post
    Sounds to me like Greg Byrne is making excuses so he does not have to make a big decision just yet. And that is disappointing.
    Not at all. Sent you a PM.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    I'm hearing Goff told Chandler Taylor, our leading HR hitter, he wasn't welcomed back next year.

On top of that, he ruined three kids arms. This dude is special...in the wrong way unfortunately.
    He is welcome back, just not on scholarship. Jake and Gene are the same way. (Playing with fire on Gene since one never knows how the injury will heal.)

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    He is welcome back, just not on scholarship. Jake and Gene are the same way. (Playing with fire on Gene since one never knows how the injury will heal.)
    Why not on scholarship?

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Why not on scholarship?
    Because Goff has a large class of recruits coming in (juco and hs) that he's promised money too. I guess to get there, he has to "encourage" current players to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanatic View Post
    Because Goff has a large class of recruits coming in (juco and hs) that he's promised money too. I guess to get there, he has to "encourage" current players to leave.
    What an idiot...and by blowing their arms out.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanatic View Post
    For all the heck Saban takes for allegedly off signing, Goff is doing exactly that. Of course, it goes unnoticed since baseball isn't the money maker football is.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson