Goff Out Team meeting at 1:00PM; media around 3:00PM

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Goff was a trainwreck, and cutting ten scholarships is not a good look. Having said that, I think it's absurd that an athletic scholarship not be tied to athletic performance. That's utter nonsense and I always felt that way. If someone gets an academic scholarship, they have to perform academically, the same should go for athletics.
That's nice but totally irrelevant to what's going on with Goff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
The biggest obstacles facing Alabama baseball are that there are monster programs all around us (LSU, Florida,and South Carolina), then there are very consistent programs (Vandy, Ole Miss, and MSU), and then there are serious recruiting limitations. I cant explain it, but baseball recruiting is tied very closely to a state lottery. Point is that I think a hiring a good coach isn't enough, I think we need to have a splash hire to really get back to conference and regional contention.
Yes. I'm pretty sure all (or at least most) of us on here are familiar with the lotto limitations.

For those who are not familiar with it, the deal with it is that in states with a lottery-funded scholarship program, if an in-state student qualifies for and receives that scholarship, that scholarship money is considered separate from the 11.7. So a school is essentially able to recruit a bunch of in-state recruits that qualify for a lotto scholarship and use little-to-no "11.7 scholly money" on those players, leaving them to be able to use the 11.7 to "cherry-pick" out-of-state recruits.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Good riddance. Guy was in over his head. From what Wylie had been saying earlier in the year and then hearing about the scholarship fiasco I thought Byrne would pull the trigger. It's nice to have a strong AD like him. Battle did an admirable job but the Goff hire was a black eye.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That's nice but totally irrelevant to what's going on with Goff.
The bitter end for Goff came shortly after a story in The Tuscaloosa News dropped with allegations that the coach told up to ten players he was planning to rescind their scholarships, which would violate NCAA rules if they were granted since the 2015-2016 academic year began.
According to NCA bylaw 15.3.4.3.1, which was revised three years ago, "an institution may not set forth an athletically related condition (e.g., financial aid contingent upon specified performance or playing a specific position) that would permit the institution to reduce or cancel the student-athlete's financial aid during the period of the award if the conditions are not satisfied."
I'm just commenting on the reporting.

Having said that, it's probably worth pointing out that the team is coming off a lousy year after the previous season's results got the coach fired. Now, coaches bear the brunt of the blame, but clearly some of that problem lies with the players. I'm not justifying how Goff handled things, I'm not sad he's gone based on what I've heard, but I do stand by the basic premise that athletic performance should matter when it comes to keeping an athletic scholarship.

I do largely blame the NCAA for the scholarship nonsense. They set the limits, they make the rules in terms of what is and isn't allowed. They're the ones tying Alabama's hands in that regard.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is 100% what should have happened. What he tried to do with player scholarships was not only wrong but idiotic. Withdrawing scholarships over performance with no academic, participation, or drug-related pretense whatsoever? That is a clear sign of a man too dang dumb to be coaching at the major college level. Lets be real, kids get pushed out the door all the time due to performance in all sports at almost any school participating in NCAA athletics. The administration and coaching staff just find a reason to cull the ranks that is legal within NCAA rules. What Goff was doing was dangerous for the University to be associated with and he was rightfully terminated.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I do largely blame the NCAA for the scholarship nonsense. They set the limits, they make the rules in terms of what is and isn't allowed. They're the ones tying Alabama's hands in that regard.
Its more complicated than that.

You have monster programs and pretty good programs in the SEC. Alabama could play 4- 6 teams that end up in super regionals. We already play LSU every year. This year we played USCE, UF, and LSU (went 0-9), and then we played aTm, Ole Miss, MSU, and Vandy (wen 0-11-1). We are already in a disadvantage before you talk about recruiting limitations

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Its more complicated than that.

You have monster programs and pretty good programs in the SEC. Alabama could play 4- 6 teams that end up in super regionals. We already play LSU every year. This year we played USCE, UF, and LSU (went 0-9), and then we played aTm, Ole Miss, MSU, and Vandy (wen 0-11-1). We are already in a disadvantage before you talk about recruiting limitations
To be clear I was just talking about scholarships and the issues surrounding that. I know Alabama would still have an uphill climb even if you they didn't have the scholarship nonsense to deal with. However, if we are going to have that discussion it should be pointed out that Alabama has had some success in the past. I don't see the issues as insurmountable, but it will take someone that really knows what they're doing (and no I don't think running off a large portion of the team, even if some of the players are lousy is the right way to do it).

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I'm really glad the AD made this decision before NCAA rules were violated. NCAA investigation and probation for the baseball team is the last thing we need.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I am confused about something. Why in the workd was Goff terminated "without cause" and why are we going to pay his full salary over the next four years? That makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
To be clear I was just talking about scholarships and the issues surrounding that. I know Alabama would still have an uphill climb even if you they didn't have the scholarship nonsense to deal with. However, if we are going to have that discussion it should be pointed out that Alabama has had some success in the past. I don't see the issues as insurmountable, but it will take someone that really knows what they're doing (and no I don't think running off a large portion of the team, even if some of the players are lousy is the right way to do it).
Insurmountable? No, but its going to be a lot harder with established programs on your schedule. Wells really benefited from an unstable east, and aTm not being in the conference. Now it is basically Vandy, UF, and USCe always up in the east, and us and Auburn just hoping we aren't worse than Tennessee and UGA. We draw some of the hardest schedules in baseball. We either need a lottery or a slam dunk hire otherwise we are looking at a Gaspard level of success at best and what we had this year at wost.

FWIW we also need to start winning weekday games. Especially those against instate opponents. last two years we went 6-5 (16) and 5-5 (17). 4 games against Auburn per year (1 on a weekday) and the others are weekday games against teams like Samford, UAB, Troy, and USA. Those games add up in the end.

Last edited:

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
I have never fully understood the whole Lotto-Scholarship issue.

With out of state tuition, room/board, and fees in excess of $40K each year it seems the school should have plenty of cash.

Is there an NCAA rule that says only lottery-funded scholarships can be used for the in-state student/athletes or is it that, somehow, we cannot afford to provide scholarships to in state students without having a lottery.

Thanks for clearing that up!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have never fully understood the whole Lotto-Scholarship issue.

With out of state tuition, room/board, and fees in excess of $40K each year it seems the school should have plenty of cash.

Is there an NCAA rule that says only lottery-funded scholarships can be used for the in-state student/athletes or is it that, somehow, we cannot afford to provide scholarships to in state students without having a lottery.

Thanks for clearing that up!
http://www.baseballamerica.com/coll...lars-key-college-success/#RU3ROcXcUYk4qZLr.97

Here is TOPS for Louisiana as well
http://dailysignal.com/2016/02/22/this-state-offered-free-college-education-heres-what-happened/

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Vandy won the CWS without lottery scholarships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/financialaid/undergraduate/types.php

Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship Program (TELS)
Undergraduate students are required to complete the FAFSA each year to qualify for the TELS programs. Additional eligibility requirements are determined through the program rules. The filing deadline for fall eligibility is September 1 and for spring eligibility is February 1 of each year. View additional information and eligibility requirements for this program (undergraduate, Tennessee residents only
If you want a program that doesn't use lottery scholarships in a lottery state then its LSU because they use TOPS and then lend out their other scholarships to out of staters.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
So glad to hear this today. Goof HAD to go! I could only imagine what those boys went through this year as Wylie gave us some of it earlier this year and he was dead on. I just wished we took a harder stance and fired him for cause, but I'm sure that deal was cut last night that he would walk away while we fired him with cause instead of going to harder route and firing him for cause and going through the courts to settle things while he fought it. Just best to cut ties and get gone!

Now time to fuss over our wish list of coaches:biggrin:

Wells proved we can have a team that can compete. We proved that in the Super against UNC (last one we played in). We have to quit letting the majority of this talent go to the barn as well as Miss State and Vandy (the pitchers). We may not have enough to be in Omaha every year but we have enough to compete and that's all I ask. The garbage we got this year was just awful and it's hard to say we were just that bad, and that doesn't include the off the field crap.

Now I hope Byrne lives up to his billing as being a big baseball supporter.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
WOW.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last time I checked the board, it was 12:40. Figured nothing would happen, at least not in the 10 minutes remaining, until I had to leave for a bidnis meeting.

Then I return to this!!!!!

(Don't ask me who/what ol' "smile-face pipe-mouth" is. And what it has to do with any of this.)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.