Goff Out Team meeting at 1:00PM; media around 3:00PM - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Re: Goff Out Team meeting at 1:00PM; media around 3:00PM

Byrne was at State so I'm sure he knows a few people that know a little baseball.

2. Advertisement

Any link to the press conference?

Quote Originally Posted by Tide Rev View Post
    Any link to the press conference?
    Can follow along here.

Periscope video stream here
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Byrne: Obviously we're here to talk about Greg Goff not being head baseball coach anymore. This is not easy.
    Byrne: We felt this was the best decision going forward for our baseball program.
    Byrne: We're looking for the best baseball coach we can get. They can be a head coach. They can be an assistant coach.
    Byrne: It's really important as a program that we're patient through the process. Coaches are going to make decisions that aren't popular.
    Byrne: We have a lot of desirable resources here at Alabama.
    Byrne: Terry Rooney will serve as interim head coach.
    Byrne: If media reports that a candidate has interviewed, I'm going to tell candidates I assume they don't want the job.
    Byrne: We are dismissing Coach Goff without cause. (He gets paid the entire contract).
    Byrne: Slept on it last night. Met with Coach Goff this morning and informed him.
    Byrne: There were no rules violations.
    Byrne asked if there were any NCAA rules violated by Goff that led to this decision: "There were no rules violations:"
    Byrne: Players currently on scholarship have the option to remain on scholarship.
    Byrne: "I would not be concerned if a week from now we haven't announced who the coach is."
    Byrne: "I want someone with strong college (coaching) experience."
    Last edited by RTR91; May 24th, 2017 at 03:50 PM.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Goff was a trainwreck, and cutting ten scholarships is not a good look. Having said that, I think it's absurd that an athletic scholarship not be tied to athletic performance. That's utter nonsense and I always felt that way. If someone gets an academic scholarship, they have to perform academically, the same should go for athletics.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Goff was a trainwreck, and cutting ten scholarships is not a good look. Having said that, I think it's absurd that an athletic scholarship not be tied to athletic performance. That's utter nonsense and I always felt that way. If someone gets an academic scholarship, they have to perform academically, the same should go for athletics.
    I tend to agree, but academic scholarships number in the many hundreds, if not thousands, whereas baseball is dealing with 11.7 so it's MUCH more competitive and cutthroat.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The biggest obstacles facing Alabama baseball are that there are monster programs all around us (LSU, Florida,and South Carolina), then there are very consistent programs (Vandy, Ole Miss, aTm, and MSU), and then there are serious recruiting limitations. I cant explain it, but baseball recruiting is tied very closely to a state lottery. Point is that I think a hiring a good coach isn't enough, I think we need to have a splash hire to really get back to conference and regional contention.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; May 24th, 2017 at 04:38 PM.
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    That's nice but totally irrelevant to what's going on with Goff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The biggest obstacles facing Alabama baseball are that there are monster programs all around us (LSU, Florida,and South Carolina), then there are very consistent programs (Vandy, Ole Miss, and MSU), and then there are serious recruiting limitations. I cant explain it, but baseball recruiting is tied very closely to a state lottery. Point is that I think a hiring a good coach isn't enough, I think we need to have a splash hire to really get back to conference and regional contention.
    Yes. I'm pretty sure all (or at least most) of us on here are familiar with the lotto limitations.

For those who are not familiar with it, the deal with it is that in states with a lottery-funded scholarship program, if an in-state student qualifies for and receives that scholarship, that scholarship money is considered separate from the 11.7. So a school is essentially able to recruit a bunch of in-state recruits that qualify for a lotto scholarship and use little-to-no "11.7 scholly money" on those players, leaving them to be able to use the 11.7 to "cherry-pick" out-of-state recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Curious as to what they are.
    Sent you a PM
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    Sent you a PM
    Aww... c'mon now, that's not cool. Secrets don't make friends... or something like that.

Good riddance. Guy was in over his head. From what Wylie had been saying earlier in the year and then hearing about the scholarship fiasco I thought Byrne would pull the trigger. It's nice to have a strong AD like him. Battle did an admirable job but the Goff hire was a black eye.

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    Sent you a PM
    You did? Haven't gotten it.
    -- Coach Bryant