Goff Out Team meeting at 1:00PM; media around 3:00PM - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Re: Goff Out Team meeting at 1:00PM; media around 3:00PM

WOW.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last time I checked the board, it was 12:40. Figured nothing would happen, at least not in the 10 minutes remaining, until I had to leave for a bidnis meeting.

Then I return to this!!!!!

(Don't ask me who/what ol' "smile-face pipe-mouth" is. And what it has to do with any of this.)
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own, to do as I please."

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    I just wished we took a harder stance and fired him for cause, but I'm sure that deal was cut last night that he would walk away while we fired him with cause instead of going to harder route and firing him for cause and going through the courts to settle things while he fought it. Just best to cut ties and get gone!
    Yeah, what a scam...............get paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for being a horrible coach, and most likely, an even worse human being.

Almost makes you wonder if he had a plan............................and it didn't involve any steenking pickles, either.

(Which might be the definition of slack. See above.)
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own, to do as I please."

If you fire for cause you are basically admitting he violated NCAA rules or had other ethical issues. Either of those would invite the NCAA to snoop. We all know BAMA football would make some NCAA investigator a hero. Therefore, fire without cause and avoid any snooping. Note I am not saying there is any reason football should be scared but, don't give the NCAA a reason to hang around. Besides, to fire for cause would've been bad. There are things Ben Jones has and sat on. The scholly stunt was nothing compared to the rest.

BamaNation Scout Team

Thanks...I had not read those before. That really helped me understand it.

BamaNation First Team

Glad he's gone. Our guys probably played every game worried they would screw up and he would yank their scholarship. I do know from very good sources that the way he would insult and belittle the players was way beyond bad. Hope we can find the right guy to bring BAMA baseball back.

BamaNation All-American

I doubt he is getting the full value of his contract. Its was probably put to him that we could do this the easy way or the hard way - his choice. At least this way he can somewhat preserve a future opportunity in baseball as a profession. Going the hard way would have likely finished him as a coach at either the college or high school level.

I suspect something similar happened with Sonny Galloway at Auburn. He chose the hard way trying to call their bluff. He lost and as far as I know is not in baseball at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The biggest obstacles facing Alabama baseball are that there are monster programs all around us (LSU, Florida,and South Carolina), then there are very consistent programs (Vandy, Ole Miss, aTm, and MSU), and then there are serious recruiting limitations. I cant explain it, but baseball recruiting is tied very closely to a state lottery. Point is that I think a hiring a good coach isn't enough, I think we need to have a splash hire to really get back to conference and regional contention.
    Lottery money, for in-state recruits, pays for a lot of the student maintains a certain GPA.

So yeah, if you have a handful of 'local' kids who are getting lottery money to supplement what the scholly doesn't cover, it's a big bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Vandy won the CWS without lottery scholarships.

How's that? We've had a lottery for +\- 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by bamanut_aj View Post
    How's that? We've had a lottery for +\- 20 years

Could it be because Vandy is a private school? If I'm not mistaken, in Georgia you have to attend a public or state university/college.

I still can't believe that Bill Battle with advise from Greg Byrne hired Goff. Turns out that he was in way over his head. No excuse for such actions and threats to players of taking away their scholarships. I hope the next coach will be able to rebuild what is left and somehow bring in some new kids. Hate it for the players and the whole program. I just did not think they would have hired him not knowing anything like this was possible in his past. They had to have gotten some references as we all have to give when applying for a new job. Anyway, just glad they totally cut ties.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
    ...Anyway, just glad they totally cut ties.
    Scooter, if that's you lending a helping hand from "deep in the hole" or from high above, now that you've got Goofy gone, anything you can do about that overeducated chimp in the NYY dugout for, what, 10 years now?

Quote Originally Posted by TitleWave View Post
    Scooter, if that's you lending a helping hand from "deep in the hole" or from high above, now that you've got Goofy gone, anything you can do about that overeducated chimp in the NYY dugout for, what, 10 years now?
    Not the Scooter. Just the Cub Fan, Bud Man, Harry Caray. To many of the old guys gone. Would you take another Billy Martin for Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
    Not the Scooter. Just the Cub Fan, Bud Man, Harry Caray. To many of the old guys gone. Would you take another Billy Martin for Joe?

Ha! Even a Stump Merrill-Buckwheat Showalter "hybrid" would beat the chimp's brains into a cocked hat!