Goff Out Team meeting at 1:00PM; media around 3:00PM

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

University of Alabama head baseball coach Greg Goff has been relieved of his duties, The Tuscaloosa News has learned.

The Tuscaloosa News previously reported that Goff attempted to reduce or revoke scholarships for up to 10 players in violation of NCAA rules during their exit interviews earlier this week.

Players who are still on campus were called to a 1 p.m. meeting to receive the news. UA athletic officials met with Goff on Wednesday and were in meetings throughout the morning to discuss the decision.

UA athletic officials also reached out to some players and their families to advise them to wait before making decisions on whether to transfer.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Had to be done! There were other abuses not out there that would've come out! Media held them for multiple reasons.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Well, now is the time to make a solid hire and get back to building a solid baseball program. I just hate this for the kids who played for baseball 2017.

rtr

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
So, who is out there to hire...a "solid hire"? There are now two SEC positions open so the competition will be fierce.

Anyone have some names they want to suggest?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Curious as to what they are.
One of them was this:

But the losing soon resumed and so too did the internal strife. The bitter end for Goff came shortly after a story in The Tuscaloosa News dropped with allegations that the coach told up to ten players he was planning to rescind their scholarships, which would violate NCAA rules if they were granted since the 2015-2016 academic year began.
According to NCA bylaw 15.3.4.3.1, which was revised three years ago, "an institution may not set forth an athletically related condition (e.g., financial aid contingent upon specified performance or playing a specific position) that would permit the institution to reduce or cancel the student-athlete's financial aid during the period of the award if the conditions are not satisfied."
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/05/alabama_dismisses_baseball_coa.html#incart_breaking

I knew that there was some issues with haircuts, beards, curfew, and things like that early in the season, but Im pretty sure there was more.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Byrne: Obviously we're here to talk about Greg Goff not being head baseball coach anymore. This is not easy.
Byrne: We felt this was the best decision going forward for our baseball program.
Byrne: We're looking for the best baseball coach we can get. They can be a head coach. They can be an assistant coach.
Byrne: It's really important as a program that we're patient through the process. Coaches are going to make decisions that aren't popular.
Byrne: We have a lot of desirable resources here at Alabama.
Byrne: Terry Rooney will serve as interim head coach.
Byrne: If media reports that a candidate has interviewed, I'm going to tell candidates I assume they don't want the job.
Byrne: We are dismissing Coach Goff without cause. (He gets paid the entire contract).
Byrne: Slept on it last night. Met with Coach Goff this morning and informed him.
Byrne: There were no rules violations.
Byrne asked if there were any NCAA rules violated by Goff that led to this decision: "There were no rules violations:"
Byrne: Players currently on scholarship have the option to remain on scholarship.
Byrne: "I would not be concerned if a week from now we haven't announced who the coach is."
Byrne: "I want someone with strong college (coaching) experience."

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Goff was a trainwreck, and cutting ten scholarships is not a good look. Having said that, I think it's absurd that an athletic scholarship not be tied to athletic performance. That's utter nonsense and I always felt that way. If someone gets an academic scholarship, they have to perform academically, the same should go for athletics.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Goff was a trainwreck, and cutting ten scholarships is not a good look. Having said that, I think it's absurd that an athletic scholarship not be tied to athletic performance. That's utter nonsense and I always felt that way. If someone gets an academic scholarship, they have to perform academically, the same should go for athletics.
I tend to agree, but academic scholarships number in the many hundreds, if not thousands, whereas baseball is dealing with 11.7 so it's MUCH more competitive and cutthroat.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The biggest obstacles facing Alabama baseball are that there are monster programs all around us (LSU, Florida,and South Carolina), then there are very consistent programs (Vandy, Ole Miss, aTm, and MSU), and then there are serious recruiting limitations. I cant explain it, but baseball recruiting is tied very closely to a state lottery. Point is that I think a hiring a good coach isn't enough, I think we need to have a splash hire to really get back to conference and regional contention.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.