O.K., so NOW what's next?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Specifically in regard to our roster? Goff had 20 guys coming in, right? I assume Bubba Thompson is going to sign with MLB but I don't know much about the rest of the guys. We had only four seniors on this team and I don't know how many draftable juniors and sophs (not guy who are eligible, but guys who WILL get drafted), but it certainly won't add up to 19 spots. Those 19 guys have signed a piece of paper saying they have a spot on our baseball team. Greg Byrne has said we have asked everyone to hold off on transferring anywhere and that we will honor our pledge of scholarships to those that had them.

So how do you do this math?

rtr

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Jacob Heatherly is projected top 20 in the draft. Doubt he makes it on campus. Each school can have what, 28 total on scholarship?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Not 28 on full scholly but I don't think you meant that either.

I think even Bubba is projected at going pretty high in the draft too. Doesn't mention us losing Lovell from Cullman either, but I'm betting he goes fairly high too and signs but I have no inside info on either.

And sadly it's very possible some players on roster are out the door no matter what after this horrible experience and it's hard to really blame them for it either. So we'll probably have some slots open, but no way we'll have enough for what Goof wanted because he expected to send the whole roster walking. Freaking moron.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Why is it that the coaches that "profess" to be uber religious tend to be the biggest screwballs? Goff allegedly wore his religion on his sleeves but had no qualms dog cussing any of the players. That makes me wonder about Gus & Freeze (with all the stuff swirling in Oxford) and Briles too. If you have to loudly profess your religious sanctity, there's probably something deeper that needs to be uncovered.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
My high school football coach was a Baptist minister. I never heard him once say what I'd call a curseword, but that doesn't mean he couldn't blister the paint off the wall with an arse-chewing.

Getting back to the OP, I hope there is room for the guys who do want to stay to stay, and for us to still upgrade the roster with new talent. Those kids worked their butts off for their minimum of 25%, and they WANT to be here or they wouldn't have signed. It's not like we had a roster of MLB prospects, but there is/was some solid talent and some guys that can/could help the program take a step forward next year.

rtr

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Not 28 on full scholly but I don't think you meant that either.

I think even Bubba is projected at going pretty high in the draft too. Doesn't mention us losing Lovell from Cullman either, but I'm betting he goes fairly high too and signs but I have no inside info on either.

And sadly it's very possible some players on roster are out the door no matter what after this horrible experience and it's hard to really blame them for it either. So we'll probably have some slots open, but no way we'll have enough for what Goof wanted because he expected to send the whole roster walking. Freaking moron.
Correct, I meant 28 total splitting the 11.7...dbf corrected me on the 28. I wasn't even counting lovell as he flipped when goff was hired. Not sure where the catcher from Helena rates in the draft (but he can sure rake with a bat). Reckon the burns kid will re-flip now? :biggrin:

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
I have to agree with what several of the guys on the SEC network keep saying about choosing between signing with MLB and college. At 18-19 the majority of young men are not mature enough to handle being out on their own. They suggested going to college, wonder if any of the top recruits take their advise? Hard to turn down millions but it seems to be a much easier route for kids to go to college and then chase the dream after their junior year.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Have any of Goff's guys signed anything yet? (I don't know how it works with baseball).

I imagine some will drop out now that "their guy" is gone. When Saban came here, he told Shula's commits they had a scholarship, but he would not honor it if they looked elsewhere. That could clear some room. Or encourage them to go to a friendly juco for a year.

If all else fails, you may have to tell someone there is no room at the inn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The new coach will have to really be a magician with numbers from a money stand point. As Byrne told the players every scholarship will be honored. At the same time, nobody is guaranteed a roster spot. Therefore, kids could and likely will be told by the new staff "You are on scholarship but, you do not have a roster spot. Therefore, if you want to continue playing ball, you will need to transfer".

I know at least 2 kids on big money have decided to transfer. Goff was called into compliance regarding how he planned on fitting in all the kids on multiple occasions. I'd bet of the 19 coming in, most are on 25% meaning he needs to clear approx 6. Between his seniors and the two transferring he 4 freed up. I'm willing to bet a few of the recruits will look elsewhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.