News Article: The ballad of Leroy Cook, Alabama's forgotten football superstar

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The story of Leroy is the same story of many boys who played for Coach Bryant. He knew the type backgrounds these boys came from. There were many, like Coach Bryant himself, who realized that their chance to escape from poverty, hard times and unhappy home lives depended on a college football scholarship, especially one to Bryant coached Alabama. Certainly winning 6 NCs made CPB an iconic coach, but looking back nearly 50 years you can only wonder how many lives he saved or changed by giving them a chance to better themselves. During his 25 years at Alabama there were hundreds of Leroy Cook stories, however most did not have his ability. The Leroy Cook story is a tribute to all those boys who wore the Crimson jersey. Amen, end of sermon now pass the offering plate. :wink:

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
Great read...I'm glad that he did well after his football career was over, its certainly a testament to the lessons he learned from CPB and his family.
Believe it or not I remember his injury...it was a televised game, they were trotting toward the sideline when Bob Baumhower came up beside him and hugged him or patted him on the back or something and Leroy sort of stumbled a bit and them went down right in front of the sidelines. I really didn't think much of it at the time, but later learned that it was more serious than it looked. I think he could have had a solid NFL career.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.