Considering PlayStation Vue and getting rid of cable TV....input sought.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Pretty much reached the end of my pain threshold for cost vs. value and was considering PlayStation Vue as an alternative.

Currently have a bundle with TV, Internet, and phone.

I have an Ooma I can set up for my phone, so then will only need Internet service instead of the whole bundle deal.

My TV is (about) a 2 year old Visio HDMI with ethernet connection, etc. so should be good to go with that part.

Anyone else go this route.....and if so would appreciate your opinions.

I have checked and currently have the minimum download speed required but wouldn't mind going to a higher speed if I am going to be streaming so much.

TIA!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Pretty much reached the end of my pain threshold for cost vs. value and was considering PlayStation Vue as an alternative.

Currently have a bundle with TV, Internet, and phone.

I have an Ooma I can set up for my phone, so then will only need Internet service instead of the whole bundle deal.

My TV is (about) a 2 year old Visio HDMI with ethernet connection, etc. so should be good to go with that part.

Anyone else go this route.....and if so would appreciate your opinions.

I have checked and currently have the minimum download speed required but wouldn't mind going to a higher speed if I am going to be streaming so much.

TIA!
I am trying out slingtv right now, it's fine. Might want to think about datacaps if you have them and what TV Streaming will do to your bill. I'm trying to get this nailed down by football season so may try a few others

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
I use PlayStation Vue to watch Showtime because it's cheaper to go through them then my cable provider. I like it on my PS4. I'm not sure how the other supported devices hold up to the PS4 experience.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I use PlayStation Vue to watch Showtime because it's cheaper to go through them then my cable provider. I like it on my PS4. I'm not sure how the other supported devices hold up to the PS4 experience.

From what I have read - many are using the Amazon Fire boxes with good results.

Just ran across this YT vid showing the setup I had in mind....

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
that's why I went with Sling, I am heavily invested in Roku's, 4 of them. What I am waiting for is YouTubeTV to come to Atlanta, then I will be good

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014

Just ran across this YT vid showing the setup I had in mind....

I would take advantage of their free trial and see if it works for you. If the Amazon Fire boxes work like the PS4, I'm sure you will be happy (and save money[emoji6]).

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
My brother tried Vue on PS3 and hated it. Said the navigation was cumbersome and clunky. He shut it off and now just watches over-the-air tv with an antenna. I've been using sling on roku 3 for a year or so and continue to love it.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
that's why I went with Sling, I am heavily invested in Roku's, 4 of them. What I am waiting for is YouTubeTV to come to Atlanta, then I will be good
I've been with Sling since it started. I stream on a Roku 3. I've had little problem with it. For football- you'll be a good 5-8 seconds behind (about 1 play) so participating in game threads can be frustrating as you know what's about to happen. When Centurylink finally beefed up their bandwidth here I've had zero problems. The updates to Sling also make it much more user friendly. At first it was quite cumbersome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've been with Sling since it started. I stream on a Roku 3. I've had little problem with it. For football- you'll be a good 5-8 seconds behind (about 1 play) so participating in game threads can be frustrating as you know what's about to happen. When Centurylink finally beefed up their bandwidth here I've had zero problems. The updates to Sling also make it much more user friendly. At first it was quite cumbersome.

good to know. I liked my Roku 3 so much I've bought two Roku TV's from TCL and they are cheap and awesome (though I did have to RMA one of them)

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I cut the cord. I can get about 15 digital channels including the big three or four ABC CBS NBC etc... I have internet with ROKU.
The problem is if you want a cell phone, home phone and internet, you're not saving a great deal if you just had the 100 dollar a month triple play.

I think the trick is to get the 99.00 per month bundle without any frills, a digital antenna and change service providers every time the lease agreement is up so you can lock in with another provider for 99.00.
Not too many years ago just a basic land line was around 70.00 per month. They've got you by the balls almost any way you go with media and phone.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
good to know. I liked my Roku 3 so much I've bought two Roku TV's from TCL and they are cheap and awesome (though I did have to RMA one of them)
Same here. I've thought about purchasing one myself.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I just bought a Fire TV(super happy with it) and have been researching the same thing with PS Vue. Just know what you are getting into with the local channels. Local channels differ by market. Plus, best I can tell it is only as good as your internet connection. I just upgraded to ATT fiber so I don't think I'll have an issue, but if you have a 15Mb cable connection you may have issues. Last time I checked they had a 5 day free trial. I would definitely try it before I went all in.

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I just upgraded to ATT fiber so I don't think I'll have an issue, but if you have a 15Mb cable connection you may have issues.
I also have ATT at the moment for my internet. They told me "we're fiber" I asked where on my house the fiber terminated...so in reality the bandwidth over a coaxial cable is more than over twisted copper pair. Most service providers employ fiber, say to a point of presence or local equipment near your home and from that point on it may be coax as with cable providers and twisted pair with telco-RBOC. Both have the technology to provide good bandwidth. Fiber to the home will outperform all. Unless you have fiber to the doorstep, coaxial cable will theoretically outperform twisted pair every time.

I have 2 rokus and enjoy them.

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I am trying out slingtv right now, it's fine. Might want to think about datacaps if you have them and what TV Streaming will do to your bill. I'm trying to get this nailed down by football season so may try a few others
I used slingTV last year for football on an AppleTV. The only games I was unhappy with were the ones I had to watch over the air on CBS because my antenna sucks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.