Potential Candidates? (Link) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Re: Potential Candidates? (Link)

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I think we may end up with the Arizona coach depending on how close he and Byrne are. If not, the Costal Carolina coach would be an exciting hire.
    I honestly don't think either are in play for us at this point. I admit I like Dunn from lswho, as well as Calvi too. I would take either you just posted but I doubt it happens. I also wouldn't mind digging some out of the retirement pool, namely Cohen (AD at MSU) and Bobby Pierce from Troy. Of course I think we'd have about a 1% chance of getting either to come....lol

2. Advertisement

I wouldn't be excited by a guy that has already stepped away from the game. Unless there were some extenuating circumstances, the coaches mentioned above have had enough and walked away for various reasons. Especially those two guys as I don't think either of them were forced out or encouraged to go home. They've both had long runs and have some age on them, how long would they stay, and I'd think that would be used against them in recruiting. We need an infusion of energy, among other things, and for that reason I'd rather we go younger than older, at least that much older. Of course I've never been asked to help hire a coach (well I did help our high school hire a soccer coach several years ago, but that doesn't qualify me for anything, ha!), so I'll just stick do doing my part of being a Bama baseball supporter.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Oh yea I don't expect either to become involved with this job at all unless Cohen doesn't like being an AD. I'd put the odds of Pierce coming out of retirement at about 0%. Was just saying, no way do I think they would even be thought of.

If we go assistant coach I want Dunn from LSU. We need our pitching back!

I would love Mark Kingston from USF. He was an assistant on the powerhouse Miami teams of the late 90's, early 2000's. His teams are know for aggressive offense and strong fundamentals.

His salary is minimal at USF at $150K. Offer him $500K and not sure USF could match. He has lots of recruiting contact/experience in the talent rich areas of Tampa and Miami.

I think I have told this story here, about how my friend at work had a son who wanted to sign with Bama. A son who set the all-time strikeout record for high schools in Florida at Pine Forest. But the 'Florida' thing was the problem. His family lived just across the line from Seminole in Florida, and not only could we not give him a full ride, but his family would have to pay out of state tuition.

He wound up signing with Florida, but after the draft decided to pitch at PJC and signing with the Rangers two years later. He zipped through their system but tore up his shoulder in AA and was released.

It is tough to get the good young guys out of Florida. Doesn5't mean we shouldn't try, but it is tough. My friend's son had planned on playing at Bama for a long time, but his dad is a big FSU fan who could care less about us and he wasn't going to pay very high tuition rates when he could go in-state either free or almost free.

Rtr

We really need to waive out of state for the players. Even do it for softball too if their system is the same. We have to do something to get kids here.

BamaNation First Team Titans&Tide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    We really need to waive out of state for the players. Even do it for softball too if their system is the same. We have to do something to get kids here.
    Totally agree, 230kv. Not waiving out-of-state tuition is ludicrous, and a complete no-brainer. My son is going to MSU and they're waiving out-of-state tuition because he's AFROTC. It's actually cheaper for him to go out-of-state to MSU than it would be for him to live at home and go to Bama.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

It's pretty exciting to think we just might finally have an AD who cares about baseball, and any other sport that isn't football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American crimsonkelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamanut_aj View Post
    It's pretty exciting to think we just might finally have an AD who cares about baseball, and any other sport that isn't football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a fact. Looking at earlier post. Sports not named basketball or football really get screwed. I could write volumes as a middle school coach (baseball/softball) and teacher about what is in our public schools now a days. I'll save myself, from getting banned.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonkelly View Post
    That is a fact. Looking at earlier post. Sports not named basketball or football really get screwed. I could write volumes as a middle school coach (baseball/softball) and teacher about what is in our public schools now a days. I'll save myself, from getting banned.
    They play baseball in middle school now? Why?

It has been seven days. Any whispers going around? Are the candidates on the list those we really think will be looked at?

rtr

Alabama AD: 'We have really good interest' in baseball opening

It's been exactly a week since Alabama fired baseball coach Greg Goff. Since then, the school's athletic director, Greg Byrne, has launched a search for his replacement while assessing the perception of the job he's aiming to fill.

"It's given me some time to also talk to some good strong people in the college game, in the pro game and get their opinion of Alabama baseball," Byrne said at the SEC spring meetings in Sandestin, Fla. "We obviously have a tremendous amount of positives in our program and we are seeing that in the interest in the coaching position...We have really good interest in the position already. I can tell you that."
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Good deal. Thanks, RTR.

rtr