Potential Candidates? (Link)

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I like that list. After Godwin and Pierce turned us down last year, I was hoping we'd look to Alan Dunn or Calvi. I've liked Calvi ever since he was at SCar. Personally, he'd be 2nd choice with Brown behind Alan Dunn and Bohannon 3rd on the list for me. Just love what Brown's been able to do with Vandy's staff since he's been there, and Dunn's record with LSU's staff speaks for itself, and Bohannon would be good AND it would screw over the Barn haha.

There's <1% chance of hiring Gilmore from Coastal. He's a lifer there. Same with Jay Johnson and Mingione.

Looks like we're probably going to be looking at hiring an up-and-coming SEC assistant (like 3 of the names on that list.) I mean, it's worked for AU, Miss St, Kentucky, etc, so why not us too?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
For obvious reasons I trust Greg Byrne to make a solid hire more so than I did CBB.

Rtr

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I don't think we are gonna simply see who is in the area and wants a promotion to a power 5 coaching spot. Byrne did something most of us didn't think would happen for at least a year. I have to believe that he will look nationwide to see who is interested/available. He gained a lot of respect as a leader to me, just have to think he will be very selective as to who he hires. This hire is absolutely critical to get right with the stadium going into its second year and all. He knows this and will take the time to get it right imo. We might as well all get patient as all of our targets are still coaching I imagine.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Greg Byrne is one of the best ADs in the country.

I have to believe he had a list of candidates in mind, albeit for next year. That got accelerated with Goff's heavy-handed, not to mention illegal, attempt at a total revamping of the team.

Even though his hand was forced, Byrne made the right call at the right time. Now we'll see how he goes about hiring the replacement.

Doesn't help that UTe is looking, too.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm thinking our next coach will be making more than $450K. Meaning the BOT will give a full 'go get um' when attracting our next coach.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I like that list. After Godwin and Pierce turned us down last year, I was hoping we'd look to Alan Dunn or Calvi. I've liked Calvi ever since he was at SCar. Personally, he'd be 2nd choice with Brown behind Alan Dunn and Bohannon 3rd on the list for me. Just love what Brown's been able to do with Vandy's staff since he's been there, and Dunn's record with LSU's staff speaks for itself, and Bohannon would be good AND it would screw over the Barn haha.

There's <1% chance of hiring Gilmore from Coastal. He's a lifer there. Same with Jay Johnson and Mingione.

Looks like we're probably going to be looking at hiring an up-and-coming SEC assistant (like 3 of the names on that list.) I mean, it's worked for AU, Miss St, Kentucky, etc, so why not us too?
I saw bamaonline and they had a headline saying who are our potential candiddates and it had a LSU coach photo next to the headline. I'm guessing it is Dunn as you have referenced.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Here's Ben Jones' list of potential candidates:

https://www.tidesports.com/candidates-watch-alabama-baseball-coaching-search/

What say you? Personally, I like Mark Calvi from USA. I think he's done an excellent job building a program down there and knows what it's like to deal with the scholarship restrictions here.
I like Calvi, but he didn't build the program at USA. Sure, Kittrell had a couple of down years at the end of his tenure, but the program was in pretty good shape when he took over. Kittrell only had 4 losing seasons in the 28 years he was there.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yeah, I haven't counted them, but the Jags have probably been to as many regionals as we have, but I do think that Calvi is solid. He started off more slowly than people would have liked but the last three years have been good ones.

Rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yep, South has been to 26 regionals so far, while I think we have been to 23-24. Of course, they have never been to Omaha.

Rtr

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I just hope we conduct a nationwide search and dont limit ourselves to only scouting out the SEC coaching staffs for a replacement. They play good baseball in all areas of the country, including the Northeast and Far West. Didn't OU go out a few years and get their guy from up East somewhere?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I think we may end up with the Arizona coach depending on how close he and Byrne are. If not, the Costal Carolina coach would be an exciting hire.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think we may end up with the Arizona coach depending on how close he and Byrne are. If not, the Costal Carolina coach would be an exciting hire.
I honestly don't think either are in play for us at this point. I admit I like Dunn from lswho, as well as Calvi too. I would take either you just posted but I doubt it happens. I also wouldn't mind digging some out of the retirement pool, namely Cohen (AD at MSU) and Bobby Pierce from Troy. Of course I think we'd have about a 1% chance of getting either to come....lol

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I wouldn't be excited by a guy that has already stepped away from the game. Unless there were some extenuating circumstances, the coaches mentioned above have had enough and walked away for various reasons. Especially those two guys as I don't think either of them were forced out or encouraged to go home. They've both had long runs and have some age on them, how long would they stay, and I'd think that would be used against them in recruiting. We need an infusion of energy, among other things, and for that reason I'd rather we go younger than older, at least that much older. Of course I've never been asked to help hire a coach (well I did help our high school hire a soccer coach several years ago, but that doesn't qualify me for anything, ha!), so I'll just stick do doing my part of being a Bama baseball supporter.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Oh yea I don't expect either to become involved with this job at all unless Cohen doesn't like being an AD. I'd put the odds of Pierce coming out of retirement at about 0%. Was just saying, no way do I think they would even be thought of.

If we go assistant coach I want Dunn from LSU. We need our pitching back!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I would love Mark Kingston from USF. He was an assistant on the powerhouse Miami teams of the late 90's, early 2000's. His teams are know for aggressive offense and strong fundamentals.

His salary is minimal at USF at $150K. Offer him $500K and not sure USF could match. He has lots of recruiting contact/experience in the talent rich areas of Tampa and Miami.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I think I have told this story here, about how my friend at work had a son who wanted to sign with Bama. A son who set the all-time strikeout record for high schools in Florida at Pine Forest. But the 'Florida' thing was the problem. His family lived just across the line from Seminole in Florida, and not only could we not give him a full ride, but his family would have to pay out of state tuition.

He wound up signing with Florida, but after the draft decided to pitch at PJC and signing with the Rangers two years later. He zipped through their system but tore up his shoulder in AA and was released.

It is tough to get the good young guys out of Florida. Doesn5't mean we shouldn't try, but it is tough. My friend's son had planned on playing at Bama for a long time, but his dad is a big FSU fan who could care less about us and he wasn't going to pay very high tuition rates when he could go in-state either free or almost free.

Rtr

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We really need to waive out of state for the players. Even do it for softball too if their system is the same. We have to do something to get kids here.

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
We really need to waive out of state for the players. Even do it for softball too if their system is the same. We have to do something to get kids here.
Totally agree, 230kv. Not waiving out-of-state tuition is ludicrous, and a complete no-brainer. My son is going to MSU and they're waiving out-of-state tuition because he's AFROTC. It's actually cheaper for him to go out-of-state to MSU than it would be for him to live at home and go to Bama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.