North Carolina disputes NCAA findings in response to Notice of Allegations

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The University of North Carolina is digging in against the NCAA in its years-long fight over the scope of academic fraud allegations involving classes taken by athletes in the African and Afro-American studies department between 2002 and 2011 that helped many retain their eligibility.

In a response made public Thursday to the NCAA's most recent Notice of Allegations, North Carolina challenges the most serious and potentially damaging allegation, arguing that "inadequate academic oversight unrelated to the Department of Athletics" doesn't constitute an issue within the NCAA's jurisdiction.

Further, the school argues that the case should not be characterized as an "extra benefit" situation because the courses were available to all students and that athletes were not treated differently from others with regard to how the courses were administered. North Carolina also accuses the NCAA’s enforcement staff of changing its theory multiple times for how the facts of the case could be shoehorned into violations of extra benefit rules.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ndings-response-notice-allegations/102146626/

The never ending investigation, it seems.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
They are really buying into the Barn strategy. Deny, lawyer up and resist. It'l be interesting to see how this turns out. If successful, it will represent an existential crisis for the NCAA.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

UNC has mounted a compelling response to NCAA notice of allegations

For years, the NCAA didn’t want to wade into the murky waters of determining what is or isn’t academically sound. It left such determinations up to accrediting agencies. (It should be noted that in this case, North Carolina was placed on probation for a year by its accrediting agency.) This is why the NCAA did nothing about Tennessee’s Chair Stacking 101 classes in the late 1990s or Auburn’s directed reading classes in the early 2000s. Every large university has easy classes available to everyone, and most major athletic departments cluster revenue-sport athletes into easy majors. These cases were ignored for a reason: The NCAA didn’t have clear rules in place to enforce them. In fact, if North Carolina’s attorneys really want to twist the knife during the COI hearing, they’ll quote what attorneys representing the NCAA wrote in a 2015 response to a lawsuit brought by former North Carolina athletes regarding the quality of the education they received. According to that response, the NCAA has no legal responsibility "to ensure the academic integrity of the courses offered to student-athletes at its member institutions.”

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Congratulations UNC. You just made cheating worse by letting the entire world know that none of your degrees are worth the paper that they are printed on.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
If North Carolina gets away with decades of academic fraud, then the NCAA enforcement department should just shut down. They should apologise to Bama for the textbook scandal/probation and vacated wins. They should also forget Ole Miss.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Gotta give the "Powers That Be" at UNS props for stringing the NCAA along as well as any university can..They's basically giving the rest of the schools a blueprint when it comes to dealing with the NCAA rules violations..

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Whoa, that's a pretty cynical defense: Hey, as long as we provide all students with equal access to fake classes it's not a special benefit.
My argument would be because you created Special Benefits for Student Athletes and then made them available to all students is STILL special benefits for Student Athletes. Like, for example, making illegal drugs available to athletes and other students does not alter the fact the athlete got illegal drugs.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Whoa, that's a pretty cynical defense: Hey, as long as we provide all students with equal access to fake classes it's not a special benefit.
Cynical, but not untrue. If the issue is that only athletes benefited from the class, then the NCAA's case (on this count) holds no water. An issue like this is for SACS to decide, not the NCAA.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is a requirement that you be a student in good academic standing to play NCAA sports. These students were not in good academic standing, though the school made it appear as if they were. They should not have been allowed to play, and UNC knew it. Seems pretty simple to me, but I am a simple man.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It is a requirement that you be a student in good academic standing to play NCAA sports. These students were not in good academic standing, though the school made it appear as if they were. They should not have been allowed to play, and UNC knew it. Seems pretty simple to me, but I am a simple man.
They made the grades for their classes. That's all the NCAA worries about. SACS would be the one worried about the classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
How soon we forget. UTe skated on this very issue in the late 1990s / early 2000s.

Remember the college credit for stacking chairs? NCAA said at the time that course content was the purview of the school, not the NCAA.

Don't know how they reverse that position and still maintain credibility. Oh....wait....never mind about that credibility thing.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
SACS is a joke. Their main interest is in making $$$ and not rocking their boat. I base this on past SACS actions which amounted to wrist slapping. Until I retired I worked at a plant making parts for automobile, both original equipment and aftermarket. We had our "quality" inspection ISO9001 every six months. Yes, it was a joke. When we got caught we were given three days to fix them all. A simple phone call saying "we fixed it" was all it took and then we sent a follow up form confirming it. We paid $50,000 each for those two yearly inspections. Yes, I can see why SACS does not want to actually pull accreditations. $$$$$$$$$$$$

I do not know if that is a discount rate or extravagant. All I know is no one at our plant followed the rules or even worried about getting busted. Personally, I think someone was getting the bribe. But then I see SACS doing the same thing and I wonder if any accreditation group actually does their job.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
They made the grades for their classes. That's all the NCAA worries about. SACS would be the one worried about the classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get what you are saying. If they can't show the link between the athletic department and the academic department, then I don't know how they bust the athletic side. However that link might exisand. if there is a conspiracy between the sides then the technicality that other students got to take the garbage classes should not matter. It really comes down to whether the athletic side influenced the academic.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I get that, but if the classes are a fraud, then the grades are a fraud. It is connected. We cannot pretend otherwise. This is tantamount to discovering that the players never attended classes at all - that the school falsified records indicating that they were attending and passing classes. If the classes are a fraud, they never met NCAA requirements.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I get that, but if the classes are a fraud, then the grades are a fraud. It is connected. We cannot pretend otherwise. This is tantamount to discovering that the players never attended classes at all - that the school falsified records indicating that they were attending and passing classes. If the classes are a fraud, they never met NCAA requirements.

But it's still an extra benefit for ALL students, not just athletes. Would be unfair to nail the athletic programs and call those that graduated that their degree is worthless now as they might have taken it for help in another class, etc. I seriously doubt anything comes of this honestly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.