Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports state figures released this week reveal that 11,779 people considered able-bodied without children were required to find work by April 1 to continue receiving food stamps. Sixty-two percent were dropped after the deadline, whittling the number of recipients to 4,528.
I wonder how many are now going to go out and get pregnant or knock someone up? Children are the pawn that holds the taxpayer's dollars hostage.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It's not clear to me who is deeming people able and unable to work: healthcare providers, state workers, or politicians?

Views on the work mandate vary widely, and intensely... The two political sides differ even in their view of the people in this category, who the state identifies as able-bodied adults without dependents or ABAWDs.

Brandon Hanick of the progressive activist group Better Georgia believes this population is filled with people with mental health impairments, limited education and borderline physical handicaps. They often lack the wherewithal to prove to a state bureaucracy their inability to meet the work requirements, he said.

“It’s cruel,” Hanick said of the work requirements. “We’re talking about one of the most basic needs — the need for food.”

But state Rep. Greg Morris, a Republican from Vidalia, said the precipitous drop in recipients shows the mandate is working. He believes many of these food stamp recipients have become complacent, if not lazy, about finding a job.
That's taken from the AJC link in the original article.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It's not clear to me who is deeming people able and unable to work: healthcare providers, state workers, or politicians?
The state and Federal governments already determine disability, don't they?
And citing eugenics is a bit of an overstatement, isn't it? There is quite a difference between forced sterilization and sterilization as a condition of continuing to receive money from the public coffers, is it not?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The state and Federal governments already determine disability, don't they?
And citing eugenics is a bit of an overstatement, isn't it? There is quite a difference between forced sterilization and sterilization as a condition of continuing to receive money from the public coffers, is it not?
The eugenics bit was hyperbole, which was maybe less obvious than I thought. Hard to blue font an image.

For SS disability, I think you need to prove you've been diagnosed with a medical condition that's on a list somewhere, and qualifies you for disability. I'm not sure how GA is doing this, but I agree with critics that ignoring mental fitness is a mistake.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not sure how GA is doing this, but I agree with critics that ignoring mental fitness is a mistake.
I agree. Determining mental disability is going to be costly and difficult.
On the other hand, if the policy is just, "Have a baby and the state will pay you for the next 18 years" and some will react to that incentive.
And we'll have the "Somebody's got to pay for these babies" schtick all over the place.
Some form of temporary birth control (like Norplant or something similar for men) as long as one is declaring him or herself to be a ward of the state seems like not such a bad idea. As long as someone is declaring a need for public assistance, not knocking out more children for the duration of that need seems a not unreasonable condition for said public assistance.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I agree. Determining mental disability is going to be costly and difficult.
On the other hand, if the policy is just, "Have a baby and the state will pay you for the next 18 years" and some will react to that incentive.
And we'll have the "Somebody's got to pay for these babies" schtick all over the place.
Some form of temporary birth control (like Norplant or something similar for men) as long as one is declaring him or herself to be a ward of the state seems like not such a bad idea. As long as someone is declaring a need for public assistance, not knocking out more children for the duration of that need seems a not unreasonable condition for said public assistance.
Heck, if I had my way, birth control would be offered freely to anyone who desires it, and condoms would rain from the skies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wish I knew your life story so I could point out every bit of the government dole you're on.

But of course, you're probably such a red-blooded american that you don't even drive on roads to avoid appearing like a government dole parasite.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I wish I knew your life story so I could point out every bit of the government dole you're on.

But of course, you're probably such a red-blooded american that you don't even drive on roads to avoid appearing like a government dole parasite.
C'mon man, you know that there is massive waste and fraud with welfare/food stamps/ss disability etc. There are many who need and I am glad we, as a society, help. But there are also many who either defraud the system, or worse, are bound by the chains of the cruel irony of having the choice of either the safe option of staying on the dole by doing nothing or risking all of their benefits by getting a job that in many cases would result in less monetarily than remaining on benefits. Our current system disincentivizes people from working. And those invisible chains are very tough to break. I am ashamed to admit that my view on this is an entirely first hand account that almost destroyed me.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I personally think disability is the biggest problem preventing stuff like medical care. I think we need to be investigating fraudulent disability claims harder than attacking the welfare system.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think the amount of fraud or waste is really all that meaningful in the grand scheme of things. We get worked up over waste in social welfare but don't have the same indignation about how minor iterative improvement to an existing military technology can go so far over-budget. As if we need any new types of jets, personnel transport, tanks, or boats at all. All we're doing at this point is making our critical war machines more vulnerable to EMP burst weapons by layering on more electronics!

I don't blame people for refusing to just enter the labor economy in a losing transaction relative to just taking government money. The key would be that you'd hope for the individual to use their time find their big opportunity or make their own. I'm not going to blame the poor people just living off the government. I'm going to blame the corporations for being unpatriotic bastards and systematically destroying the means for decent, meaningful labor for the masses in this country. I'm going to blame the people who bought the "everyone will be a knowledge worker, we want to outsource manufacturing!" line from corporations because working in the factory was good enough for our parents/grandparents but not their kids/grandkids (what idiots!). We have seen now that there are only so many "knowledge" jobs out there and most people are on the fastlane back to service-sector serfdom.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don't think the amount of fraud or waste is really all that meaningful in the grand scheme of things. We get worked up over waste in social welfare but don't have the same indignation about how minor iterative improvement to an existing military technology can go so far over-budget. As if we need any new types of jets, personnel transport, tanks, or boats at all. All we're doing at this point is making our critical war machines more vulnerable to EMP burst weapons by layering on more electronics!

I don't blame people for refusing to just enter the labor economy in a losing transaction relative to just taking government money. The key would be that you'd hope for the individual to use their time find their big opportunity or make their own. I'm not going to blame the poor people just living off the government. I'm going to blame the corporations for being unpatriotic bastards and systematically destroying the means for decent, meaningful labor for the masses in this country. I'm going to blame the people who bought the "everyone will be a knowledge worker, we want to outsource manufacturing!" line from corporations because working in the factory was good enough for our parents/grandparents but not their kids/grandkids (what idiots!). We have seen now that there are only so many "knowledge" jobs out there and most people are on the fastlane back to service-sector serfdom.
Just wow. It's never really their fault, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.