auburn To The East?

Auburn to the east, even at the loss of the Alabama game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
If Auburn goes to the east....Tennessee would love it. If Bama and AU still play then Tennessee gets Mizzo as a permanent opponent.... And they don't have to play Bama annually.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I seriously doubt it's going to happen regardless of the discussion here or the chemically assisted musings of a disgraced ex-Auburn coach.

I'm guessing the cities of T-Town and Opelika would also want the IB to continue along with CBS.

So while you never say "never" I don't think it will happen any time soon. I think CBS holds the SEC contract until 2023, so I'm guessing barring
some strange happenings it stays that way until then at least.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The problem is how much longer is Bama vs LSU going to be a big rivalry. Bama and Auburn is way more consistent than Bama-LSU. Just look at the 80's and 90's.
I'm not an expert on ratings, but it was one of the things I'd look into when I was going on about conference expansions. Alabama has made the top ten rated regular season game list with just about every SEC foe they've faced. I'm sure that's not the case for Kentucky and Vanderbilt, but it hasn't just been Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn. It's been programs like Miss. St. and Missouri as well (during Saban's tenure at Alabama). I don't think there's a guarantee that LSU always garners monster ratings, but remember the Iron Bowl nearly became irrelevant. If not for the kick 6 game, Alabama would have won 6 in a row. Not just that, but four of those have been blowouts. I believe it was 2012 when the stadium wasn't even full to begin the game and started emptying out in the third quarter. So, the key is the possibility of Alabama losing, that's the biggest factor. And, as long as it's a traditional power (LSU is a top ten all time team) they stand a better chance of making that happen.

I'm not trying to say the game doesn't matter, but I think people might be over-estimating both the importance to CBS and the importance of the game. So much of the importance lies in when it is played and the quality of the opponent. Those things can be replicated fairly well with other opponent. To give an example, if you take the Kick 6 game, and you put another team in Auburn's shoes and have it play out just like it did, do you think the media hype really would have been any less? I don't think so, because it still would involve Alabama getting beat on a fluke play.

The other thing is I think it might be easy to over-estimate the power that CBS could have over a move. To take a step back, look at what happened with the Big 12. They got rid of the Nebraska/Oklahoma game, but did that get blocked? Did the Big 12 lose TV money when they lost the Texas/Texas A&M game? Nope. In fact the only time I'm aware of the networks really having any say at all in these matters was when the Big 12 wanted to add two lesser programs, and it basically took the weakest major conferences with the most over-compensated deal to give the networks any real say in the matter. When the SEC expanded, CBS didn't want to pay more, and they had a justifiable excuse since they weren't adding any games. They still did. The simple fact is that CBS isn't powerful enough to stop the SEC from doing a move like this if they want to, and I don't think CBS would be that hard to placate anyway.

This is a long shot almost purely because every SEC team could have their own agenda. Auburn could try to demand keeping the Alabama game, and that alone would be enough to blow the whole thing up. Missouri could make demands, other SEC East teams could make demands, so on so forth. I can see a plausible path for this, but it still seems more like posturing for when something big goes down in the future (like more expansion) than anything else. Frankly, I don't think Auburn has the backbone to stop riding Alabama's coattails.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not an expert on ratings, but it was one of the things I'd look into when I was going on about conference expansions. Alabama has made the top ten rated regular season game list with just about every SEC foe they've faced. I'm sure that's not the case for Kentucky and Vanderbilt, but it hasn't just been Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn. It's been programs like Miss. St. and Missouri as well (during Saban's tenure at Alabama). I don't think there's a guarantee that LSU always garners monster ratings, but remember the Iron Bowl nearly became irrelevant. If not for the kick 6 game, Alabama would have won 6 in a row.
It's amazing how many people forget that. My goodness, two plays and Alabama has a NINE game winning streak in the IB.....

Not just that, but four of those have been blowouts. I believe it was 2012 when the stadium wasn't even full to begin the game and started emptying out in the
third quarter.
You're 100% spot on here. I attended that game, my first-ever Iron Bowl. I was in the south end zone, which the upper reaches never even came close to capacity. The temp was nice but when the sun went down combined with everyone bailing out at halftime, it got rather cool up there.

So, the key is the possibility of Alabama losing, that's the biggest factor. And, as long as it's a traditional power (LSU is a top ten all time team) they stand a better chance of making that happen.

I'm not trying to say the game doesn't matter, but I think people might be over-estimating both the importance to CBS and the importance of the game.
I think we both agree the bottom line is money, but one of the things they TRY to hold onto as much as possible in college football (as opposed to the NFL) is long-term tradition. It doesn't always work but more on this in a moment. Part of what makes cfb what it is to places outside T-Town is the ambience of the game itself.

So much of the importance lies in when it is played and the quality of the opponent. Those things can be replicated fairly well with other opponent. To give an example, if you take the Kick 6 game, and you put another team in Auburn's shoes and have it play out just like it did, do you think the media hype really would have been any less? I don't think so, because it still would involve Alabama getting beat on a fluke play.

But then I look at the evidence that may suggest otherwise:

2014 - #5 Alabama vs #1 Miss State tv rating: 6.6 on CBS
2014 - #1 Alabama vs #15 Auburn tv rating: 7.4 on ESPN, highest rating in their history
at the time anyway

Of course, we can then debate the circumstances surrounding the day, too.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The other thing is I think it might be easy to over-estimate the power that CBS could have over a move.
Possibly, I don't know. Does anyone?

To take a step back, look at what happened with the Big 12. They got rid of the Nebraska/Oklahoma game, but did that get blocked?
No, but the hope was that they'd play each other in the Big 12 title game, which I believe only happened in 2010.

Did the Big 12 lose TV money when they lost the Texas/Texas A&M game? Nope.
No, but that analogy doesn't apply here, either, since the Big 12 had no claim on ATM in the SEC.

In fact the only time I'm aware of the networks really having any say at all in these matters was when the Big 12 wanted to add two lesser programs, and it basically took the weakest major conferences with the most over-compensated deal to give the networks any real say in the matter. When the SEC expanded, CBS didn't want to pay more, and they had a justifiable excuse since they weren't adding any games. They still did. The simple fact is that CBS isn't powerful enough to stop the SEC from doing a move like this if they want to, and I don't think CBS would be that hard to placate anyway.
There are overlapping agendas, but does anyone seriously think that the SEC wants the Iron Bowl to become "well, we get it every six years or so?"

I doubt that.

This is a long shot almost purely because every SEC team could have their own agenda.
True.....

Auburn could try to demand keeping the Alabama game, and that alone would be enough to blow the whole thing up. Missouri could make demands, other SEC East teams could make demands, so on so forth.
Where are you getting this idea of demands from? I mean, it's not like a team cancelled a game on account of weather and the SEC had to step in and order them to play a road game or anything recently.....

I can see a plausible path for this, but it still seems more like posturing for when something big goes down in the future (like more expansion) than anything else. Frankly, I don't think Auburn has the backbone to stop riding Alabama's coattails.
The problem there, though, is simple: let them move. They will still be number two in the state, even in the years they win the East and Alabama does not win the West.

Seriously. And I honestly think that's part of what's driving this.

thunderz7

1st Team
Nov 6, 2001
northeast alabama usa
The University of Alabama has it's identity.
The names appearing on our schedule don't change that.
Auburn, on the other hand, is more-so identified as "Bama's lil sister", "the other school in the state of Alabama", "Bama's main rival" etc...

It wouldn't hurt us at all.
They would have to find an identity not connected to us.
I would love it = bring it on.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
If we wouldn't have whipped them the last 4 outta 5 or more ( 7 outta 10?) times I think, ole' Dye wouldn't be crying for this at all. Matter of fact, if they were on a winning streak, it'd be completely different. Just saying.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I haven't read the thread, but if there is any re-alignment: Bama and the barn to the East and Vandy, Mizzou to the West.

Just being realistic...:cool2:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I haven't read the thread, but if there is any re-alignment: Bama and the barn to the East and Vandy, Mizzou to the West.

Just being realistic...:cool2:
I'm sure LSU would love that alignment. Bama, AU, UGA, Florida, and UT in the East would be brutal. LSU would compete with teams that often look good at times but often underachieve like TAM, Arky, MSU, and Ole Sis. Yeah, I'm sure LSU would love that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.