Will new Pacific Pro League change college football as we know it?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Don Yee is looking for investors.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...m-ncaa-pacific-pro-football-article-1.3201543

At the NFL Draft, virtually all players selected come from college football programs.

Within two years, that may change.

A disruptive new professional football league, a corporate football factory that will pay players straight out of high school and build them up mentally and physically for an NFL career, is on the verge of launching. And when Pacific Pro Football hits the field next summer, it may not only put NCAA football as we know it on a path to extinction, but also change the face of professional sports forever.

The league is the brainchild of Don Yee, the sports agent who is best known for his work representing Tom Brady. Yee has spent a lifetime advocating for the rights of athletes. For many years, he’s been critical of the NCAA amateur-athlete structure, he’s advanced revolutionary ideas about how to better manage big-time college athletics, and in 2010, he penned an op-ed in the Washington Post in which he called for the NCAA to pay student-athletes once and for all.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I would not bother me at all if College Football went back to real, honest goodness Student Athletes. You know, those who had to get to college on their grades and not their football ability. I would be all for that and I would wager arrests would go down too.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To work, the PPL has to pay players enough to give up ever playing college football.

To do that, it has to have a TV contract at the level of the SEC Network, at a minimum. In today's market, that isn't happening.

So no, it won't change anything.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I tend to agree with 4Q that they will need some serious exposure just for the league to break even. This may have been a better idea 10-15 years ago but it's a little late now. But let's say we're wrong about that and assuming Yee's league does get off the ground and get going (which the XFL and a few other "leagues" were never really able to do), it may attract a few stars who believe they are "can't miss". Since making it in the NFL is a long shot, most players will still opt for college scholarships and college football. Assuming it's a viable business, I could see this league being good for former college players who never got signed and still want that chance to either play on Sundays or really just need a paycheck. IMO, $50k/year isn't worth it for more than a couple of years of playing in this kind of league. College is still the better option.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I doubt this league even gets going.

See FXFL, United Football League, XFL, etc.

All this league is going to do is eventually join the list of defunct pro leagues. I will feel bad for any HS kid (some more than others) who passes on college for this league.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
So, a man who makes money directly from athletes is an advocate of the rights of athletes making more money. Wow, what a shocking revelation. I'm sure he would love college athletes to get paid. Then, he would be an advocate of those athletes being able to be paid different amounts based on their abilities. Then, he would want them to strike/holdout for more money. Eventually, they would be able to hire agents to negotiate their contracts.
Frankly, I wish all the universities would say enough is enough. Our mission is education. We will continue to offer scholarship/books/room/board/medical care/athletic training in exchange for these athletes to PLAY for our school. If that is not enough, go join a professional league and have a nice life.
I will still watch 2-3 star student athletes who represent my university instead of professional athletes who think they are owed something because they can run fast or throw or catch a ball.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I tend to agree with 4Q that they will need some serious exposure just for the league to break even. This may have been a better idea 10-15 years ago but it's a little late now. But let's say we're wrong about that and assuming Yee's league does get off the ground and get going (which the XFL and a few other "leagues" were never really able to do), it may attract a few stars who believe they are "can't miss". Since making it in the NFL is a long shot, most players will still opt for college scholarships and college football. Assuming it's a viable business, I could see this league being good for former college players who never got signed and still want that chance to either play on Sundays or really just need a paycheck. IMO, $50k/year isn't worth it for more than a couple of years of playing in this kind of league. College is still the better option.
I agree it is a bad option but think of all those players who get busted for serious felonies and miss out on the pros. I can see the same kind of greed sending them to get some cash right now as the greed that has them looting and holding up at gunpoint. This might save a few colleges some headaches.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would add that from what I understand, you can go straight out of high school to either the Arena League or to the CFL (I think the age limit is 18 and 19 respectively). The CFL has already provided a path to a few wayward players. For example, Duron Carter has put up some solid CFL stats. From what I gather, this league will offer pretty meager compensation (and even that doesn't insure it can stay afloat).

There's one big thing that a lot of people seem to be missing when they talk about how much money college football generates. It generates that much money because we love the programs themselves! College football has brand loyalty that really is unmatched elsewhere. Our teams don't move, they don't change names (unless you're Ole Miss), they pre-date many professional franchises. There is a deep loyalty and affection. What this means is that these huge crowds and what not do not exist because of the Tim Tebow's of the world exist, Tim Tebow's of the world exist because those huge crowds exist...

Once you have created them, they can go on to other things certainly. But had Tim Tebow played in this league? The Tim Tebow as we know it never would have come to exist. You can't just put the athletes in there and have what college football creates, for all their abilities and special talents, they're worth far less in these lower level professional leagues.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I will feel bad for any HS kid (some more than others) who passes on college for this league.
This is my thought as well. In the earlier TF thread on this topic, someone ran the numbers on salary and revenues, and opined that it probably won't last.
Any high school athlete who takes the plunge will probably end up regretting it when this league folds.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
At least most the guys at the pro level have a college degree. If they get hurt, they can at least maybe find a decent job with a college education. I wonder what would happen to these guys in this league, if they get hurt and can't play anymore? No college education, etc... I could go on with a dozen other points.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
At least most the guys at the pro level have a college degree. If they get hurt, they can at least maybe find a decent job with a college education. I wonder what would happen to these guys in this league, if they get hurt and can't play anymore? No college education, etc... I could go on with a dozen other points.
Agreed. Currently there's just too much risk for a kid who has football scholarship offers from major universities to give that up to go play for a pro league football team. If he gets hurt in college he can still have his education paid for and get a degree. Not so with getting hurt in the pro league. For him to get a college degree he would then have to foot tuition. Which most of these kids can't afford.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
I find it funny that b/c it's $50k cash it's somehow different. These athletes get, especially at top level schools, get housed/fed/clothed(athletic gear) all well, and an education far exceeding $50k a year, but it is the colleges that are exploiting these kids not him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.