Link: SEC Coaches are Right About Negative Consequences with Early Signing Period

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

It's not every day that you can get a group of coaches together, and they're all pretty much on the same page when it comes to recruiting. After all, recruiting is the essence of winning, which is the essence of keeping that paycheck.

But when it comes to some of the ins and outs of the new early signing period, SEC coaches aren't exactly giddy. While some coaches supported December's signing date for prospects, no one had anything positive to say about how the accelerated recruiting calendar will now allow recruits to take official visits, which are paid for by the schools, after April 1 of their junior year of high school.

This rule will go into effect in 2018, and it means that recruits will be able to take official visits nearly a year before they could potentially sign with a school. Early official visits mean less real personal time to build relationships with prospects and their families.

And you know what? SEC coaches are right about this one.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I keep up with the recruiting stats and all that but I really don't know the 'ins and outs' of the process. It seems to me this could lead to a whole lot more transferring around to other schools. If they sign players with relationships and they opt our after a year or so, just think how much it will increase if they sign without relationships.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I keep up with the recruiting stats and all that but I really don't know the 'ins and outs' of the process. It seems to me this could lead to a whole lot more transferring around to other schools. If they sign players with relationships and they opt our after a year or so, just think how much it will increase if they sign without relationships.
Yep. We'll probably see an increase in the number of transfers. We'll also probably begin to see coaches scouting players at a younger age like we do basketball coaches. The games are so different, though.

Interested in seeing how the change affects budgets. Are schools going to keep the amount they have for OVs or will they increase the amount? In December or January, teams know if they want to spend the money for a guy to take an OV. They don't really have a good idea about that in April. Could see this play a small role in the separation of the haves and have-nots.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.