Link: Shawn Jennings No Longer with Program

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Redshirt freshman linebacker Shawn Jennings is no longer a member of the Alabama football program, sources told AL.com.

The Dadeville native was a three-star recruit who enrolled at Alabama in January 2016.

His older brother is Crimson Tide redshirt sophomore outside linebacker Anfernee Jennings, who worked with the first-team defense throughout the spring after making 19 tackles as a redshirt freshman last season.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Don't know the circumstances surrounding his departure, but sometimes having a sibling in the same program can work against one or both of them.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Man, hate to hear that. Was pulling for him especially since he is from Camp Hill/Dadeville. Much success to him in his future endeavors.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think it came to a playing time issue. Davis, Wilson, Moses, Cowan, and Benton will make for a lot of competition.
He was somewhat of a guy without a position, too. As a recruit, he was expected to be a safety. He was listed as a LB on the roster but didn't have the build to play LB.

I see he's now listed as a DB on the website, so it might have just been a typo at the time.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He was somewhat of a guy without a position, too. As a recruit, he was expected to be a safety. He was listed as a LB on the roster but didn't have the build to play LB.

I see he's now listed as a DB on the website, so it might have just been a typo at the time.
I'm pretty sure you are right about him being at LB. I recall seeing him listed at one point as a DB/LB, but all the pictures and videos in the spring appeared to have him in the ILB drills. At one point he was listed at 230 which is probably well above what he needs to be to play S, kinda like Clark a few years ago, now he's at 220 something so not big enough to be an LB and a bit bigger than he should be as a S. He probably looked at the competition, and with the fact he's never really played LB (I think was a QB/S in HS) and realized that if he wanted to play he'd have to take a chance somewhere else. Some guys like Clark and Anderson will stick around knowing they'll be role players or special teams guys and some won't.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Don't know the circumstances surrounding his departure, but sometimes having a sibling in the same program can work against one or both of them.
Yup..I'm not sure if that played into his decision to leave, but, I'm the Baby of the family & I have one older brother..

I love my brother & would have his back in any situation, but, we have clashed a few times as I got older, bigger & could stand up to him in a few situations..I could understand if Shawn wanted to go a different route doing his own thing..

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Not everybody who SIGNS works out. Some leave for personal reasons, some because they are buried deep on the roster. Some leave for more playing time.
Sometimes it works out for a guy who leaves, others don't seem to make the change easily.
It's a cinch that guys who stick around have an opportunity for more TV time, and more exposure to different Pro coaches, than those who go to a less successful team.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.