Brad Bohannon Named Head Coach - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar

Re: Brad Bohannon Named Head Coach

I like this hire. He's got a good pedigree, recruits well, and consistently produces winners wherever he's been. Yes it's risky, as with any hire, but I'm on board until there's cause for alarm. I think the BB program is in good hands. Welcome, Coach Bohannon. RTR!

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

2. Advertisement

I like the hire assuming he brings in a quality hitting and pitching coach.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    I'm waiting for the call. I can teach hitting to a blind man.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

I admit I was hoping for a bigger name, and I was hoping if we hired an assistant it was Dunn. There is no question though that the barn has killed us in state with recruiting in the past.

This hire doesn't have me all giddy like I hoped though, and it sure was quick. I'll wait to truly pass judgement until he hires his staff.

I'm not a big baseball follower, but I'm glad they hired someone that knows how to recruit in a state that has the scholarship limitations we do.

BamaNation All-SEC

I hope the guy works out and hope that he can bring us to not only competing again but making us a regular at making regionals, hosting supers and beyond; but I keep getting this queasy feeling in my gut that we just hired a guy from the one school that our recently fired, after one season coach, swept.

Hopefully he works out and I will be there to watch and give him the same chance that I gave the last guy. I do like his recruiting prowess and we have been losing out on the best available in state talent to other schools including some JCs. And, then there is the out of state targets that want to come here and the whole out of state tuition issue that is beyond his control....

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    Michael Lananna of Baseball America tweeted he's hearing Dave Serrano is the pick for pitching coach.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

ESPN analyst: New Alabama baseball coach an 'awesome hire'

Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne made a quick, decisive action by appointing Brad Bohannon as the university's new baseball coach.

But was it the right move?

Two people who follow the sport closely agreed Thursday that it was.

ESPN analyst Kyle Peterson called it an "awesome hire." Kendall Rogers, an editor for D1Baseball.com, described the addition of Bohannon as "really solid."

"I think you had a pretty good idea that Greg Byrne was going to get it right given his history and his affinity for the college game," Peterson said. "Any time a job comes up around in the country, Brad's name is mentioned."
    Also, here's Bryne's answer as to why the hiring was announced this morning rather than wait until Auburn loses this weekend:

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Met him when my boys went to their (cough cough) winter camp. He seemed like a good guy and was interacting with the kids good.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post

ESPN analyst: New Alabama baseball coach an 'awesome hire'

Also, here's Bryne's answer as to why the hiring was announced this morning rather than wait until Auburn loses this weekend:
    LOL!

Michael Lananna of Baseball America tweeted he's hearing Dave Serrano is the pick for pitching coach.
    Will he have Jobu with him in the bull pen?

Here is Serrano's Wiki page. Great experience and seems this would be a real good hire also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Serrano

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    Here is Serrano's Wiki page. Great experience and seems this would be a real good hire also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Serrano
    Serrano would be an amazing hire. Shocked with the way his UT stint turned out (like, actually - kind of in disbelief), but prior to that, his record was elite. Having someone like him agree to come on as an assistant would be a big big deal.

Anyway, as to Bohannon, definitely a jury's out hire. I guess the best thing you can point to in his record is that he's been a part of a lot of winning and turnaround performances. Maybe would've liked someone with a more assessable track record, at the very least, but I'll stay optimistic. As someone said above, how this one turns out will probably have a lot to do with the assistants he hires.
    "A great value of antiquity lies in the fact that its writings are the only ones that modern men still read with exactness."