Brad Bohannon Named Head Coach

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
So Dax is with the guy that was at Alabama State. Makes sense. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back, but maybe he needs a bit of a change. He can certainly coach either hitting or pitching without any drop off in either.

There for a time I figured Bianco would be a candidate for our job. There is a faction over there that would like to see them move on.

Rtr
Dax wasn't retained here when Goff came in. I think if offered, he might come back, but what do I know? Personally I love the guy and have never meet him. He just seems to be an "Alabama" man. And he happens to be a dang good coach to boot!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Having both been longtime SEC coaches I am sure CBB knows Dax pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back here.

Rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
No, no. I don't know anything. Just using logic. Dax is the best assistant coach we have had here in a long time, and if he would rather be here than south Florida I'd rather he were here. But I know nothing about CBB except he must have lots of good contacts in the coaching business.

rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
CBB was introduced to the media today, and met with the players that are enrolled in school right now. I have a positive feeling about this guy.

I guess that means he left Tallahassee and is at work today? The Aubs have a regional final against FSU today. Can't have been easy to leave your players at such a time.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
CBB was introduced to the media today, and met with the players that are enrolled in school right now. I have a positive feeling about this guy.

I guess that means he left Tallahassee and is at work today? The Aubs have a regional final against FSU today. Can't have been easy to leave your players at such a time.

rtr
No, he's going to fly back down there for the game tonight.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Having both been longtime SEC coaches I am sure CBB knows Dax pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back here.

Rtr
Dax would not be a good fit right now. I don't say that necessarily as a shot at Dax. Mitch made him do/say things he didn't necessarily want to do/say and because the Jr/Sr's next season played under Dax and Mitch, it might be awkward. Now, if BB has an opening in a year or two once the kids are bought in to him and his way of doing things, Dax would be a quality hire.

Biggest thing we need is the kids to buy into Coach BB b/c in fairness to Goff, they didn't buy into him and Byrne let them know it. (Not for a minute saying CGG deserved another minute as coach...)

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yeah, I have gotten that from a couple of people I have heard from, that Goff was so far from where Mitch was that some of the team was NEVER going to get with his program.

I heard an interview with Wallace Gillberry once where he talked about being a senior on CNS's first team. He said that you could just tell that Saban had it right and that he tried to get the other seniors on-board with what Coach was trying to accomplish, but that not everyone could adjust and it hurt both those players and the team. I can certainly see that, and I understand what Goff was trying to do. On the other hand, CNS was smart enough to understand that you still have to get the best out of the guys you've got. Regardless of what everyone says, I refuse to believe that our 2017 team couldn't have played better. Eich and Walters are/were quality pitchers, and the position players were pretty much what we had on a 15-15 team the year before, but to be historically bad? If Mitch was still here would this team have been 5-24-1? No, I don't think so. I think that Goff quit on these players early in the game and that the players responded in-kind.

But that's over now. A fresh start. Looking forward to it.

rtr

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I haven't really commented because it's hard to evaluate Bohannon as this point in time. But, Alabama has an AD who seems to have a good understanding of quality baseball programs and he went out and got a guy with good working knowledge of SEC baseball programs. I have to trust that this works out well.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Yeah, I have gotten that from a couple of people I have heard from, that Goff was so far from where Mitch was that some of the team was NEVER going to get with his program.

I heard an interview with Wallace Gillberry once where he talked about being a senior on CNS's first team. He said that you could just tell that Saban had it right and that he tried to get the other seniors on-board with what Coach was trying to accomplish, but that not everyone could adjust and it hurt both those players and the team. I can certainly see that, and I understand what Goff was trying to do. On the other hand, CNS was smart enough to understand that you still have to get the best out of the guys you've got. Regardless of what everyone says, I refuse to believe that our 2017 team couldn't have played better. Eich and Walters are/were quality pitchers, and the position players were pretty much what we had on a 15-15 team the year before, but to be historically bad? If Mitch was still here would this team have been 5-24-1? No, I don't think so. I think that Goff quit on these players early in the game and that the players responded in-kind.

But that's over now. A fresh start. Looking forward to it.

rtr
I'd argue if Mitch and his staff was still around they would've been .500 or better in the SEC. I think part of the issue with pitching was never settling on a catcher. AND Dax was really missed.

None were Haynie on D. Webb hit when he played. Kyle hit decent and DeVinny hit when pitched to. What I mean by that is he had a .400+ OBP most of the year with a lot of walks. Not sure if Webb could've played LF but, always wondered if they could've had all 3 in the lineup. Typically one was at Catcher and one at DH. That sat either a top 3 OBP guy or a .300 bat.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
While you are still lurking here..................

Still think the stRangers will win 95 games? My sub-.500 prediction is looking better than yours.

Which is odd, as nothing about me looks good.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Still think the stRangers will win 95 games? My sub-.500 prediction is looking better than yours.

Go Rockies! Became a fan out there when I last went out to Denver in 2015. They have the lineup to hang with anyone! Biggest issue is pitching and so far it has held up. Have to wonder if the arms slump or not and that will tell if they go to the playoffs or not.

Still hoping for a Rox/Sox World Series:biggrin2:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Yeah..... I got fooled by the 10 game win streak...They have the talent to win the 2nd WC.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I have a daughter living in downtown Denver (all three of my kids have lived in Colorado at one time or another) and went to a Rockies game a couple of weeks ago. Looks like they have plenty of hitting.

I am a lifelong Braves fan. :(

rtr

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I have a daughter living in downtown Denver (all three of my kids have lived in Colorado at one time or another) and went to a Rockies game a couple of weeks ago. Looks like they have plenty of hitting.

I am a lifelong Braves fan. :(

rtr
I go out there almost every year to visit a great friend of mine. Matter of fact I'm going back just before Thanksgiving. Spent a month out there in '15 so I could see the Rockies that whole month as I planned it around their home stand. They have really hit well most years and outside of Coors as well. They just couldn't outscore everyone and now that they have Bud Black they have been pretty dang good. They have THE BEST 3B in the game today (and maybe ever) in Arenado, Story is a good up and coming SS, Lemahieu won the batting title at 2B last year, and Chuck Nazty (Blackmon) and CarGo solidified the outfield. They also are without #1 starter Jon Gray and without David Dahl (from Oak Mountain) as he broke through last year and was in the spot to start in LF before his injury. If they get both back at 100% they are going to be tough for sure.

We couldn't believe the Troy Tulowitzki trade but it seems like this team is even better without him which is odd. Story plays more games but doesn't quite have the bat Tulo did but it's coming around.

Very happy so far. Now if the Red Sox can get their crap in gear we'll be ok:biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.