Brad Bohannon Named Head Coach

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

ESPN analyst: New Alabama baseball coach an 'awesome hire'

Alabama athletic director Greg Byrne made a quick, decisive action by appointing Brad Bohannon as the university's new baseball coach.

But was it the right move?

Two people who follow the sport closely agreed Thursday that it was.

ESPN analyst Kyle Peterson called it an "awesome hire." Kendall Rogers, an editor for D1Baseball.com, described the addition of Bohannon as "really solid."

"I think you had a pretty good idea that Greg Byrne was going to get it right given his history and his affinity for the college game," Peterson said. "Any time a job comes up around in the country, Brad's name is mentioned."
Also, here's Bryne's answer as to why the hiring was announced this morning rather than wait until Auburn loses this weekend:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Met him when my boys went to their (cough cough) winter camp. He seemed like a good guy and was interacting with the kids good.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Here is Serrano's Wiki page. Great experience and seems this would be a real good hire also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Serrano
Serrano would be an amazing hire. Shocked with the way his UT stint turned out (like, actually - kind of in disbelief), but prior to that, his record was elite. Having someone like him agree to come on as an assistant would be a big big deal.

Anyway, as to Bohannon, definitely a jury's out hire. I guess the best thing you can point to in his record is that he's been a part of a lot of winning and turnaround performances. Maybe would've liked someone with a more assessable track record, at the very least, but I'll stay optimistic. As someone said above, how this one turns out will probably have a lot to do with the assistants he hires.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Brad Bohannon is the Right Man for the Job

Athletic Director Greg Byrne announced his choice for Alabama’s 32nd baseball coach on Thursday, picking 14 year SEC veteran assistant Brad Bohannon as the head man. Bohannon has been at Auburn the last two seasons, after spending 12 years at Kentucky. Bohannon got his start at Wake Forest as a volunteer coach, spending two years there. At his previous stops, Byrne hired John Cohen at Mississippi State and Jay Johnson at Arizona. Cohen reached the College World Series within three years and Johnson did in his first year, finishing as national runner up.

Auburn is playing in the Tallahassee Regional this weekend, and Bohannon will remain with the Tigers at least through this weekend. It has been reported there will be a press conference on Monday in Tuscaloosa to introduce the new coach.

Alabama followed the model of several SEC teams over the last few years of hiring a first time head coach with experience as an assistant at a big time program. Florida plucked Kevin O’Sullivan from Clemson in 2008 after serving as the Tigers pitching coach for nine years. Kentucky hired Mississippi State assistant Nick Mingione last year and he is SEC Coach of the Year this season. Auburn named long time Mississippi State pitching coach Butch Thompson as head coach after ridding themselves of Sunny Golloway, and Mississippi State hire Andy Cannizaro was hitting coach at LSU before heading to Starkville. All were first time head coaches and have had great success thus far.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I will admit I do like the Serrano hire if true, not many pitching coaches have over 400 wins on a staff. So if he does hire him, it will be a huge step in the right direction I think.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I will admit I do like the Serrano hire if true, not many pitching coaches have over 400 wins on a staff. So if he does hire him, it will be a huge step in the right direction I think.
Agree on Serrano. Need a hitting coach who gets the most out of his guys! I know I'm dreaming but Dave Magadan would make a heck of a hitting coach.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Wouldn't mind the Ole Siss hitting coach, they are always on the hot seat over there and I'm surprised they haven't slashed Bianco yet. They seem to hate the guy here lately (Bianco that is)

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
So Dax is with the guy that was at Alabama State. Makes sense. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back, but maybe he needs a bit of a change. He can certainly coach either hitting or pitching without any drop off in either.

There for a time I figured Bianco would be a candidate for our job. There is a faction over there that would like to see them move on.

Rtr

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
So Dax is with the guy that was at Alabama State. Makes sense. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back, but maybe he needs a bit of a change. He can certainly coach either hitting or pitching without any drop off in either.

There for a time I figured Bianco would be a candidate for our job. There is a faction over there that would like to see them move on.

Rtr
No joke. I would take Bianco in a minute. But every year you think they are going to fire him something happens and they don't. Next year he'll be in the CWS knowing him....lol

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Has their been any official news on assistant coaches? I know he is in Tallahassee with Auburn this weekend, but seems like these guys move quickly. I hope he puts together a solid staff. We can win here even with limitations from lottery and that crap. Just gotta find the kids and coach em up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.