2018 Prospect: RB Asa Martin Signs with Auburn

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Re: RB Asa Martin Commits to Auburn

I wish the kid all the best but still not convinced this is his final destination. Let's see if the U of Aub is as good as everyone thinks because if not we may see a coaching change there. Martin would be a nice get for any program but we will certainly find a replacement. Look at Jacobs last year who came out of nowhere.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Amazed at the number of players that get their school of choice wrong. Not just recruits that commit to Auburn, either. I've heard or read other recruits do it.
Honestly doesn't bother us. We've gotten pretty used to it. Just happy to beat y'all for an instate recruit for a change. Now, it's time I sing you the song of my people.

WE ACCEPT HIM ONE OF US
WE ACCEPT HIM ONE OF US
GOOBLE GOBBLE
GOOBLE GOBBLE
WE ACCEPT HIM
WE ACCEPT HIM
GOOBLE GOBBLE
GOOBLE GOBBLE
ONE OF US
ONE OF US

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

on that same link it talks about Jaycee Horn. 4 star corner back and sounds like we don't want him. Any reasoning behind this or we just expect to get better?
Guess you're talking about this article.

From it:

Though Horn, the son of former NFL wide receiver Joe Horn, is a lifelong Alabama fan, he will not choose the Crimson Tide when he makes his decision. He no longer has a committable offer.

Horn previously tried to commit to Alabama, but the coaching staff told him he needed to wait. There was a point when Horn did have a committable offer, but that was when Alabama wasn’t sure where it stood with other cornerback targets. Since that point, Alabama has gained significant steam with 5-star prospect Tyson Campbell and former LSU commit Nadab Joseph. The Tide have also offered junior college prospect Saivion Smith. All three are higher on the board than Horn. Alabama also has a cornerback commitment from Jalyn Armour-Davis.

It’s possible Alabama could circle back to Horn if it misses on one of those guys listed above, but I’m not sure at this time if he’d entertain the Tide knowing he wasn’t wanted originally.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

The Barn got a good one. On to the next.

On Horn, there are bigger targets. According to that article, Horn learned "he who hesitates has lost".

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

One school will likely give me a national championship and a chance to be an NFL RB....

One school will likely not.

Hmmmmm....which do I choose

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

One school will likely give me a national championship and a chance to be an NFL RB....

One school will likely not.

Hmmmmm....which do I choose
Well it's not exactly equivalent on the Natty front between y'all and anyone else, but we have appeared in two and won one in the last decade, so that's better than most.

As for the NFL, it's not like we have trouble putting backfield guys in the league. Going back to the end of the Bowden era, we get guys into the league at a pretty respectable clip. All of our leading rushers, with the exception of Rusty Williams (a holdover from Bowden, when he seemed to think every small back could be Warrick Dunn), Kenny Irons (injury but drafted high), Mike Dyer (idiocy) and Bubba Pettway (returning starter) have spent time in the league.

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Re: RB Asa Martin

What loaded backfield? When this class gets to campus, Bo and Damien are most likely gone. Ronnie Clark and Marks haven't been key contributors. That leaves Jacobs (Junior) and two sophomores (Najee and B-Rob).
there is no guaranteed that Damian Harris is leaving after this year unless he has a monstrous year. he will be sharing the load with 3 other RBs in 2017.
in 2019, hopefully Trey Sanders stays committed and we will most likely bring in another RB.
in the meantime, Slade Bolden can bulk up if need be to play RB. Vernon Jackson is another possibility if staff wants him as a true RB.
it wasn't a priority to take another back in this class. In-state talent is down this year particularly RBs in Alabama.
Asa was a take for sure, but he wasn't a must get by any means. I don't read minds, but I'm sure Martin was advised by many on the current situation at Bama esp. by the auburn staff regarding our current depth and future depth as well. good luck to the young man.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

there is no guaranteed that Damian Harris is leaving after this year unless he has a monstrous year. he will be sharing the load with 3 other RBs in 2017.
in 2019, hopefully Trey Sanders stays committed and we will most likely bring in another RB.
in the meantime, Slade Bolden can bulk up if need be to play RB. Vernon Jackson is another possibility if staff wants him as a true RB.
it wasn't a priority to take another back in this class. In-state talent is down this year particularly RBs in Alabama.
Asa was a take for sure, but he wasn't a must get by any means. I don't read minds, but I'm sure Martin was advised by many on the current situation at Bama esp. by the auburn staff regarding our current depth and future depth as well. good luck to the young man.
A person with insider info with very good credible have said on multiple time that Damien and Bo will leave after this season. I seriously doubt that Damien will be back next year. he doesn't really need 1,000 yard, he just need to show that he can get yards and pass blocking. I think Bo is 1-3rd round pick, Damien is the same. pointless to stay another year when they'll receive same draft value.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

A person with insider info with very good credible have said on multiple time that Damien and Bo will leave after this season. I seriously doubt that Damien will be back next year. he doesn't really need 1,000 yard, he just need to show that he can get yards and pass blocking. I think Bo is 1-3rd round pick, Damien is the same. pointless to stay another year when they'll receive same draft value.
If that happens, that leaves Josh, Najee, and B. Robinson at RB, correct? I`d say we need 1-2 in this class (?) if it is.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Not sure about a kid who needs another coaching staff to tell him about another school's depth at his position. On a side note, which Alabama backs does auburn think he's not as good as, and why does he agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.