Millennials are killing casual dining chain restaurants

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd venture to say a lot of the "local" places get their frozen shrimp at the same place as the Red Lobster.
Was actually told the seafood places at the beach get some of the worse fresh seafood because they know people will eat it no matter what, so the good stuff comes to Montgomery and further north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Like others said, I just don't enjoy the food at Olive Gardens, Chilis, etc. of the world. I don't want bad food .... ever. If I'm going out to eat, it is to do so at a relaxing pace with very good food.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Was actually told the seafood places at the beach get some of the worse fresh seafood because they know people will eat it no matter what, so the good stuff comes to Montgomery and further north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fresh local shrimp are pretty expensive for a place selling a $12 fried shrimp basket. Like you say they probably ship it further away where they can get more $ selling to higher end restaurants.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
absolutely. When I have a lunch meeting and someone recommends one I will usually chime in with something local or several options of local. Especially in the great food city that Atlanta has become. What boggles my mind is that there is an Olive Garden smack dab in the middle of Times Square just a few blocks north of Little Italy and the Olive Garden is never empty when I'm in the City. Reminds me of Michael Scott going to Sbaro for "authentic NY Pizza" on an episode of the office.
Hah! I was about to mention the same thing. It's been a few years since I've been to Times Square, but I know I irritated my wife when I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Restaurant mecca converges with tourist mecca .... and people are choosing blah, ubiquitous Olive Garden. I ..... I .... I don't understand. This cannot be reality.

ETA, I figured out the appeal now:

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
absolutely. When I have a lunch meeting and someone recommends one I will usually chime in with something local or several options of local. Especially in the great food city that Atlanta has become. What boggles my mind is that there is an Olive Garden smack dab in the middle of Times Square just a few blocks north of Little Italy and the Olive Garden is never empty when I'm in the City. Reminds me of Michael Scott going to Sbaro for "authentic NY Pizza" on an episode of the office.
My wife and I used to like Olive Garden a LOT. Then we were in Baltimore and went to an authentic Italian place. Almost ruined OG for us. OG has gotten better in recent years, though.

TOTALLY agreed on the noise issue--Saw's Juke Joint has some of the best BBQ to be had in Bham, but you can't hear yourself think in there, so we haven't gone back.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Another reason is that millennials have no desire for responsibility. More would rather live in their parents' basement and play computer games than have their own home, their own vehicles, get jobs, marry or have their own families. In essence, they want to live off someone else for their entire lives. No wonder restaurants aren't getting their business. They have no means by which to do anything at all productive with their lives.

Even my 22 y/o granddaughter, to whom I taught much in the way of personal responsibility, gets constantly frustrated with others her age because they are always wanting to bum off of her.

I fear that when their generation comes to power, this nation is going to be at the mercy of every other country in the world. The Chinese, Russians, etc., will be able to simply walk in and take over.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
...not to mention Joe's Crab Shack as well.

Where do you like to go when you're in the Destin area?
There are several we like to go to but our favorite by far is Dewey's. We go to the one by the bridge (kind of behind McGuire's) instead of the main strip one.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
There are several we like to go to but our favorite by far is Dewey's. We go to the one by the bridge (kind of behind McGuire's) instead of the main strip one.
We've been to the one on the strip. Since we normally stay in Sandestin, we really don't go into Destin much because of the ridiculous traffic.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
We've been to the one on the strip. Since we normally stay in Sandestin, we really don't go into Destin much because of the ridiculous traffic.
Haven't been to the strip one but have heard from a lot of people that it's a good bit inferior to the other. It's definitely more of a locals thing. Have to drive through a slightly sketchy looking area to get to it.

We stumbled upon it when we took a German exchange student to rent a jet ski at a place right next to it.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Haven't been to the strip one but have heard from a lot of people that it's a good bit inferior to the other. It's definitely more of a locals thing. Have to drive through a slightly sketchy looking area to get to it.

We stumbled upon it when we took a German exchange student to rent a jet ski at a place right next to it.
We might give the other one a try sometime. The one on the strip was okay, but we certainly weren't impressed. Other places are better.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Honestly, most chain casual dining places are not all that great or unique. I hope this creates some space where small local dining can flourish a bit more...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
We might give the other one a try sometime. The one on the strip was okay, but we certainly weren't impressed. Other places are better.
I always have to get a cup of their seafood gumbo on every visit. The wife loves the popcorn shrimp basket which I get a lot as well.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
It drives me crazy to see Red Lobster's parking lot jam packed when we're in Destin.
there is a really good little place for fresh seafood right down the street from my place in FL. I ate there last week and 1/2 the crowd was eating alaskan king crab legs, which of course only come frozen from the northern pacific. I asked the owner one time and he just shrugged "If I don't have them people get ....y and don't come back, they don't care that they are exactly the same as available where they live"

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
The Crab Trap, Surf Hut, Capt. Dave's and Ocean Club were the best I have had there

We always go to Dewey Destin's, the original...looks like a dump off the main drag, but oh my!!! Start with their grilled shrimp!!! Oh and for steak on the beach there, McGuire's. Get the ribeye...fantastic!!

Last edited:

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007

Whoops - didn't see your post. But yeah, the original Dewey's by the bridge!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.