CFN: Preview 2017: Alabama Crimson Tide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/labama-crimson-tide-preview-2017-a

The Alabama Season Will Be A Success If …

It wins the national title. How did it feel getting to the College Football Playoff at the end of the 2014 and 2016 seasons without coming away with the national championship trophy?

To be fair, winning yet another SEC Championship and making it 4-for-4 in CFP appearances would be fantastic no matter what. But, of course, Alabama is at a whole other level of college football expectations right now – with only Ohio State hanging around the top floor. Win it all, Alabama, or it’s a failed opportunity.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Biggest Key To The Alabama Offense

Hurts has to get off to a hot start. The last thing Alabama needs – even in an early win – is a quarterback controversy to disrupt The Process.

Hurts almost never had any problems running when he really, really had to in key moments, but his five worst games in terms of completion percentage came against USC, LSU, Florida, Washington and Clemson – the stud defenses. Those were the only five games he was under 60%.

The 7-of-14 for 57-yard day against Washington was alarming, but the 13-of-31 day in the national championship against Clemson has been one of the offseason’s key topics.

Considering Florida State might have the nation’s best secondary, a decent day by Hurts and a win in the opener will be fine no matter what. But if the names Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones are brought up for anything other than what they do in garbage time, there’s a problem.
Somebody has been reading TideFans!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is good. Really like these and I think we can all (or most) agree that the OPs quoted statement is absolutely accurate. I have a slight issue with Jalen getting the "Best" offensive player title because he isn't but I get why they chose him. I actually think their rankings for best player on both offense and defense miss the mark with the exception of Minkah getting the best D player.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This is good. Really like these and I think we can all (or most) agree that the OPs quoted statement is absolutely accurate. I have a slight issue with Jalen getting the "Best" offensive player title because he isn't but I get why they chose him. I actually think their rankings for best player on both offense and defense miss the mark with the exception of Minkah getting the best D player.
Out of curiosity, who do you put above Jalen as our best offensive player?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Out of curiosity, who do you put above Jalen as our best offensive player?
I'd go with Ridley. I think Bo would be #1 if he didn't have injury issues and had played in more games but without that it has to be Ridley. Jonah Williams has a good argument as well but I want to wait to see him play LT for a season first. If you want to talk MVP, most important, or biggest impact its obviously Hurts because he plays QB. But best player? Give me Ridley.

Also, I think Bozeman is underrated. If you are going to give Hurts points for being the QB then he should get credit for being the center. Basically I wonder if you should have him over Pierschbacher if you are going to have Hurts #1.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'd go with Ridley. I think Bo would be #1 if he didn't have injury issues and had played in more games but without that it has to be Ridley. Jonah Williams has a good argument as well but I want to wait to see him play LT for a season first. If you want to talk MVP, most important, or biggest impact its obviously Hurts because he plays QB. But best player? Give me Ridley.

Also, I think Bozeman is underrated. If you are going to give Hurts points for being the QB then he should get credit for being the center. Basically I wonder if you should have him over Pierschbacher if you are going to have Hurts #1.
1. Ridley didn't catch many balls last year.
2. Jonah WIlliams did okay, but he had his moment.
3. Bozeman.. OL don't really count.. QB, WR and RB get all the attention.

So this goes back to my other post: Hurts was the best player that year....

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Best doesn't mean most productive, touched the ball the most, most important to the team, or even MVP. At least not IMO. Best is who is actually the best player on the field. To me that is Ridley. Basically, I think Ridley is a better WR than Hurts is QB. That's also why I would consider Bo even with his lack of playing time so far. The difference to me is that Bo hasn't shown what he can do over an entire season so its hard to put him at 1. This is why, for example, I think Trent Williams is the Redskins best player. He may be OL but he is easily the most consistently dominant player on the team.

I don't think Bozeman is the best player that comment was about their list 2-5. I think #4 was Pierschbacher and that seemed a little off to me when they didn't mention Bozeman at least not while also putting Hurts 1st. Just seems inconsistent.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

Unless of course you believe Ridley didn't catch many balls because Hurts couldn't get him the ball...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To be fair, winning yet another SEC Championship and making it 4-for-4 in CFP appearances would be fantastic no matter what. But, of course, Alabama is at a whole other level of college football expectations right now – with only Ohio State hanging around the top floor. Win it all, Alabama, or it’s a failed opportunity.
I hate this, but I can't really argue with it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hate this, but I can't really argue with it.
The up side is that CNS understands it and fully embraces it. Greatness drives him and that is the epitome of greatness in college football.

Besides, although he'd never admit it, he knows he's one NC short of tying Coach Bryant and 2 to overtake his mark. How could that not motivate you???

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

The teams to beat are Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State ~ in that order. So far every publication (except one) has these as the top three.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The teams to beat are Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State ~ in that order. So far every publication (except one) has these as the top three.
It's entirely possible that those two teams will bookend our season toward #17.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It's entirely possible that those two teams will bookend our season toward #17.
I'm going to throw this out there. Penn State is going to win the Big 10 this year. Michigan lost a ton of players. Ohio State should have a better O (assuming the new OC works out) and better front 7 this year but their is no way they can replace the elite level of play they were getting from Lattimore, Conley, and Hooker. Meanwhile, Penn State is returning a seemingly big time QB and a one of, if not the, best RBs in college football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.