High-brow British politics - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: High-brow British politics

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Probably right. If your party is organized to get the UK out of the EU and you get the UK out of the EU, what's the point of continuing? Get the UK further out of the EU?
    About the only thing they could realistically campaign on now would be fear-mongering over the possibility May tries to undo Brexit. Given her rhetoric, it strikes me as a non-starter.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    You said "erected" twice in a "high-brow" thread....
    Nice catch.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    About the only thing they could realistically campaign on now would be fear-mongering over the possibility May tries to undo Brexit. Given her rhetoric, it strikes me as a non-starter.
    I read the BBC occasionally but not enough to get a true feel of things, but my impression is that May is doing ok given the hand she was dealt. An unenviable position to be stuck in to say the least. Would be nigh impossible to please everybody if it were normal circumstances but throw in an economic crises and some terror attacks and, scientifically speaking, social polarization should begin to metastasize.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    I read the BBC occasionally but not enough to get a true feel of things, but my impression is that May is doing ok given the hand she was dealt. An unenviable position to be stuck in to say the least. Would be nigh impossible to please everybody if it were normal circumstances but throw in an economic crises and some terror attacks and, scientifically speaking, social polarization should begin to metastasize.
    She plays the part of a fire breathing Brexiter well as of now, which is part of the reason UKIP voters are rejoining the conservative fold.
    Just a barner.

Things looking good for Labour so far. Theresa May's decision to hold a snap election might have backfired bigly...
    Just a barner.

Early results:

The conservatives will remain the largest party but are expected to lose the majority. May's decision did backfire. She's in trouble.

Note UKIP with 0 seats. ��
    Just a barner.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

It's probably going to be a minority government or a second election judging by the liberals anti coalition stance that is coming out. I think the tories are going to seek new leadership regardless of a coalition or reelection. I think May only survives in a majority or minority government after this embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    It's probably going to be a minority government or a second election judging by the liberals anti coalition stance that is coming out. I think the tories are going to seek new leadership regardless of a coalition or reelection. I think May only survives in a majority or minority government after this embarrassment
    May is probably done no matter what. She said she would resign if she lost 6 seats. Well they blew by that number. Even if she reneges on that, she'll likely be forced to resign. The Tories are probably sharpening their knives as we speak.

Just how momentous this screw up is really can't be put into words. She had a 20 point lead and called this election to strengthen their majority, and they end up losing it completely. Oops.
    Last edited by AUDub; June 9th, 2017 at 12:37 AM.
    Just a barner.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

May is probably done no matter what. She said she would resign if she lost 6 seats. Well they blew by that number. Even if she reneges on that, she'll likely be forced to resign. The Tories are probably sharpening their knives as we speak.

Just how momentous this screw up is really can't be put into words. She had a 20 point lead and called this election to strengthen their majority, and they end up losing it completely. Oops.
    I think the Tories will probably go with a person that can appeal more to the SNP and lockdown NI. I think they really want to lockdown a coalition before one inevitably happens under a minority government. Idk who a reelection would favor, but I would assume Labour would want it more than the Tories. Liberal-democrats seem to not favor either party due to May and Corbyn being either unpopular or the divide on Brexit.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Well it looks like May is seeking coalition since she was pretty close to a majority. A weak majority but it would be enough with the NI votes to ensure the Tories stay in power, but what the deal will be is going to be interesting

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

You could swap out May for Lyin' Ryan or Mitch McTurdle (aka Dudley DooNothing), and all you would have is a hard time deciding which one wears a dress.

Then we have The Guardian, always the voice of sanity and reason, kvetching about the DUP forming a coalition.

"The DUP is the political wing of the 18th century, a bunch of homophobic bigots..................."

Funny, but you could say their buddies, the radical kook Islamofascist barbarians are "the wing of the 8th century, a bunch of homophobic bigots", and they would lose their mind.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Well it looks like May is seeking coalition since she was pretty close to a majority. A weak majority but it would be enough with the NI votes to ensure the Tories stay in power, but what the deal will be is going to be interesting
    Desperate if you're forming a coalition with the DUP. They're pretty extremist. Like "no abortions for rape victims" and "line dancing is a sin."
    Just a barner.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Desperate if you're forming a coalition with the DUP. They're pretty extremist. Like "no abortions for rape victims" and "line dancing is a sin."
    Its better than a minority government so I don't think they have a choice at this point but form a coalition. I don't think the Tories have a shot with the Liberal-democrats.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; June 9th, 2017 at 09:53 AM.