High-brow British politics

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I wouldn’t be shocked if she survives.

Britain did this to themselves. The EU owes them nothing, and the idea that the EU should let them cherrypick is patently absurd. Out is out.

The goal isn’t to maliciously harm the UK, but to maintain the integrity of the single market. Without the single market, there is no EU.
Jean-Claude Juncker has been fairly malicious in his approach from the beginning.
I think he has one eye cast towards the east (e.g. Poland and Hungary) and emphasizing that leaving will be painful. 20 years ago, the EU looked so appealing that Yugoslavians quit slaughtering each other on the promise that if they did, they would be allowed in. In the last few years, the costs of membership have increased substantially.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Jean-Claude Juncker has been fairly malicious in his approach from the beginning.
I think he has one eye cast towards the east (e.g. Poland and Hungary) and emphasizing that leaving will be painful. 20 years ago, the EU looked so appealing that Yugoslavians quit slaughtering each other on the promise that if they did, they would be allowed in. In the last few years, the costs of membership have increased substantially.
He’s taken a hard line, but not granting them privileges != malice. Considering it malice or punishment is a rhetorical flourish best reserved for the front page of the Daily Mail.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He's driven a hard bargain but I wouldn't call it malice either. From what I hear from European friends - and I'm sure you're hearing more, TW - they've about had it up to the neck with the Brits considering themselves a special, privileged class. They have the opportunity to make them experience the consequences of their actions and they seem determined to do it...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
He's driven a hard bargain but I wouldn't call it malice either. From what I hear from European friends - and I'm sure you're hearing more, TW - they've about had it up to the neck with the Brits considering themselves a special, privileged class. They have the opportunity to make them experience the consequences of their actions and they seem determined to do it...
we seem to have a similar affliction here in the u.s. i guess that is why us yanks and the brits are spending so much time holding each other's beer lately. ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
He’s taken a hard line, but not granting them privileges != malice. Considering it malice or punishment is a rhetorical flourish best reserved for the front page of the Daily Mail.
The EU has extended trade privileges of varying degrees to something like 35 non-EU countries.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
One of my Brit colleagues, a retired British Army officer working in Brussels, not some wild-eyed UKIP radical, said he had seen enough of the EU to realize that it was incapable of reforming itself. He voted leave in the Brexit vote. And as I said, he works (worked?) in Brussels.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of my Brit colleagues, a retired British Army officer working in Brussels, not some wild-eyed UKIP radical, said he had seen enough of the EU to realize that it was incapable of reforming itself. He voted leave in the Brexit vote. And as I said, he works (worked?) in Brussels.
Probably past tense. Well, they're certainly going to find out what life's like on the outside...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
they are giving us a run for our money in the stupid olympics across the pond. but a bunch of folks were protesting in london today

[video]https://www.bbc.com/news/av/embed/p074f13z/47680979[/video]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.