High-brow British politics

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Wasn't May personally opposed to Brexit earlier?
I believe she sat on the fence, but, being a Tory, she took over when Cameron stepped down.
Labor was pretty heavily in favor of staying in the EU and the Tories were split, so I guess May gets the credit or the blame depending on your interpretation of Brexit.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
LOL I think Farage and the UKIP have hit their high water mark. The upcoming election may very well spell their undoing.
Probably right. If your party is organized to get the UK out of the EU and you get the UK out of the EU, what's the point of continuing? Get the UK further out of the EU?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I think another well-timed attack or two with the right posturing could land him in the PM chair.
Not happening. Their national support is now below 5%. Doesn't matter how bad British polling is, that's a deficit that pretty much guarantees they're going to get crushed.

They are a single issue, fringe party and now that that issue has been mainstreamed and resolved with Brexit (and unless Brexit is somehow undone), they will fade away. A lot of their supporters are returning to the conservative fold.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Probably right. If your party is organized to get the UK out of the EU and you get the UK out of the EU, what's the point of continuing? Get the UK further out of the EU?
About the only thing they could realistically campaign on now would be fear-mongering over the possibility May tries to undo Brexit. Given her rhetoric, it strikes me as a non-starter.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
About the only thing they could realistically campaign on now would be fear-mongering over the possibility May tries to undo Brexit. Given her rhetoric, it strikes me as a non-starter.
I read the BBC occasionally but not enough to get a true feel of things, but my impression is that May is doing ok given the hand she was dealt. An unenviable position to be stuck in to say the least. Would be nigh impossible to please everybody if it were normal circumstances but throw in an economic crises and some terror attacks and, scientifically speaking, social polarization should begin to metastasize.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I read the BBC occasionally but not enough to get a true feel of things, but my impression is that May is doing ok given the hand she was dealt. An unenviable position to be stuck in to say the least. Would be nigh impossible to please everybody if it were normal circumstances but throw in an economic crises and some terror attacks and, scientifically speaking, social polarization should begin to metastasize.
She plays the part of a fire breathing Brexiter well as of now, which is part of the reason UKIP voters are rejoining the conservative fold.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's probably going to be a minority government or a second election judging by the liberals anti coalition stance that is coming out. I think the tories are going to seek new leadership regardless of a coalition or reelection. I think May only survives in a majority or minority government after this embarrassment

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.