NCAA Starting QBs Ranked 1-130

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...ring-1-130-starting-quarterback-rankings-2017

Hurts at #11 and Stidham at #12.

We have had the ongoing discussion about QBs transferring and how we lost three last year. From this article, assuming the starters are those predicted, 36 of the starting 130 starting QBs are transfers. Transfers from the original FBS school they signed with out of high school. I did not count JUCO transfers, but IIRC you could add another 4 to 5 to this total. Roughly 40 QBs (30%) will be starting at programs they did not originally sign with. I found this a surprisingly high percentage.

B

BamaJ

Forgive my ignorance, but is Stidham that good? Can he overcome the inadequacies of the Barn offensive coaching?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the Hurts rating is about right. I'm still not sure everyone realizes how impressive his body of work was when you factor in things like his being a true freshman and the SoS. I'd expect him to take a step forward and firmly entrench himself in the top ten. Stidham is a different animal entirely, because he doesn't have the body of work. He looks impressive, he seems like a good fit, but he's only played 3 full games and those came against Big 12 defenses. So, we'll have to see, seems a bit optimistic to have him quite that high though.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Hurts at 11 seems about right to me. My issue is with Lamar Jackson being #1 and JT being #4. Those both just seem obviously overrated IMO. JT seems to be living off his freshman year considering Hurts not only had better Y/A, Cmp %, more yards, better QB rating, more rushing yards and more total TDs he did it against a tougher schedule than JT. Hurts also had a better game against Clemson than JT. If you want to look at an offense shut down by Clemson watch that Semi Final game.

Basically, I don't think there is a huge difference between JT, Hurts and Jackson and yet 2 are in the top 5 and one isn't even top 10? Seems ridiculous to me.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Hurts at 11 seems about right to me. My issue is with Lamar Jackson being #1 and JT being #4. Those both just seem obviously overrated IMO. JT seems to be living off his freshman year considering Hurts not only had better Y/A, Cmp %, more yards, better QB rating, more rushing yards and more total TDs he did it against a tougher schedule than JT. Hurts also had a better game against Clemson than JT. If you want to look at an offense shut down by Clemson watch that Semi Final game.

Basically, I don't think there is a huge difference between JT, Hurts and Jackson and yet 2 are in the top 5 and one isn't even top 10? Seems ridiculous to me.
Jackson played one tough game and they ran him out of the stadium. System product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
"... as J. T. Barrett enters his sixteenth season at tOSU, ..."

I know that's not the case, but it does seem like Barret's been there a long time.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Rosen at #10 is too low also. If he gets his head right, which is a big if, he could be #1.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Hurts, Fitzgerald, and Eason are the best qbs in the SEC. Stidham is too unproven imo to be ahead of any of those at this point.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Rankings aside, if Stidham's supporting cast improves over last year auburn should win 9 possibly 10 games this fall. They could lose early to either Clemson or LSU or both. They should beat UGA in auburn and that leaves the IB as a ??.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jackson played one tough game and they ran him out of the stadium. System product.

How is Jackson a "system product?" Petrino's offenses have had more success than a guy like Leach, who has produced several system products.

McElroy ran his mouth this week and tried to not come across as a homer and said Nick Fitzergald is the best QB in the SEC. Thus, that's been somewhat of a talking point this week.

Finebaum posed the question on Twitter yesterday, and Marlon Humphrey did a better job shutting it down than any pass he defended while at Alabama.

marlon.jpg

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How is Jackson a "system product?" Petrino's offenses have had more success than a guy like Leach, who has produced several system products.

McElroy ran his mouth this week and tried to not come across as a homer and said Nick Fitzergald is the best QB in the SEC. Thus, that's been somewhat of a talking point this week.

Finebaum posed the question on Twitter yesterday, and Marlon Humphrey did a better job shutting it down than any pass he defended while at Alabama.

View attachment 2652
I think the question is a little loaded when you compare our offense to MSU. I think you can't go wrong with either, but I still would choose Jalen.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Rankings aside, if Stidham's supporting cast improves over last year auburn should win 9 possibly 10 games this fall. They could lose early to either Clemson or LSU or both. They should beat UGA in auburn and that leaves the IB as a ??.
Unless UGA has major injuries then I can't see Auburn losing to them. UGA is loaded on starting talent.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

View attachment 2652
My annoyance level with GMac is quickly approaching the same level I have towards Jay Barker.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.