Overdoses now leading cause of death of Americans under 50

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In Ohio, at least 4,100 people died from unintentional drug overdoses last year -- a 36 percent increase from 2015, when the state led the nation in overdose deaths.

Kentucky, West Virginia and New Hampshire have also experienced shocking increases, along with the East Coast.

Most of it is tied to heroin or prescription painkillers, often laced with a powerful synthetic opioid known as fentanyl.

In Ohio alone, nearly four billion opioid pills were prescribed across Ohio between 2011 and 2015.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/overdoses-are-leading-cause-of-death-americans-under-50/

Also interesting to note that heroin deaths have surpassed gun homicides. Since gun control supposedly works so well, maybe they should outlaw heroin.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
More proof we should stop thinking of it as a "war" on drugs, and start thinking of it as a public health issue that needs to be address by means other than jail time. I really wish they'd take the $30k/yr it takes to incarcerate people and spend that on an actual rehab program. I hate it that these people with a drug problem end up with a criminal record and no chance of having meaningful employment. Give them treatment and a chance to make it in the workforce. Jails are way too overcrowded anyway.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's a real problem, and not going away or leveling off. Education will not prevent it. Jail will not solve it. Rehab doesn't cure it.
Have you watched ESPN's E:60 on Ryan Leaf? WOW! Worth the watch. They asked him why he started using drugs. He said "To deal with the shame" of being viewed how he was, in which he says "Was completely my fault". Most people don't do drugs because it's "fun". They do it as a coping mechanism for something else.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
My eyes must be playing tricks on me. Texas is down near the bottom of the list. I thought we are all supposed to be nuts, because we carry guns, and don't believe in climate change.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's a real problem, and not going away or leveling off. Education will not prevent it. Jail will not solve it. Rehab doesn't cure it.
I read an article a number of years ago that pointed out that every known group of people throughout history had some form of mind-altering drug as part of their culture. it's simply the way humans are wired, and some folks take it too far (like anything else)...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Pill mills, also known as pain clinics, need to be better scrutinized as well.
Definitely

Doc in a boxes, such as American Family Care, tend to be fairly careful about that stuff. Last year, my arthritis flared up and I ended up with a massive knotted muscled near one of my shoulder blades. I had my standard prescriptions, but they weren't putting a dent in it. Went to AFC. Now, keep in mind that you could look at my back and *see* the knot. I got tramadol (about 3-4 levels below Lortab/Norco) and a muscle relaxer that was only slightly more effective than a tic tac.

I ended up just using my standard meds and a heating pad; took about 4 days for that damn thing to work its way out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.